[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jehovah Witness door knockers

BeeR

Amazingly, this didn't used to be much of a problem even here in a real "bible belt" area. But lately it's almost a once-a-week thing.

Maybe you should talk to them. :wacko:

Perhaps the lack of what they are peddling is what keeps you so dang cantankerous, crotchety and caustic. Worst case, they leave you alone and come away thankful that whatever it is they think they have keeps them at least marginally pleasant.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might not matter some much in big cities. But in middle to small towns it probably not a good idea to give JW a real hard time. These folks are business owners, bankers, police, sheriff/deputies even city council members.
oooooooooh, I'm scared.

Besides, just because you have a door on your house doesnt mean you have to answer it. At my place they knock a couple of times and move on.

Yeah when they did it once in a blue moon that was fine. But with people ringing the doorbell on a near-weekly basis it gets old. Also now they're starting to leave pamphlets. :wacko:

My cousin had a good sign when his daughter was first born, said something like:

Baby sleeping

Do not knock - Do not ring bell

Thank you

I'd hang that sign and if they still rang the bell, I'd get out on the porch, get right in their face, point to the sign and start screaming at them. Tell them you slept two hours last night, you finally got the kid to take a nap and now he's awake because someone can't f'n read, and if it happens again I'm rolling up those Watchtowers and jamming them up your ass.

They're not really trying to sell you anything.
Sure they are. In effect they're trying to sell me God.

They're annoying but they think they're helping you.
You'd think even the dumbest of them by now would know that they're annoying to nearly everyone they intrude on and stand a much better chance of turning people off to God vs bringing them closer to God.

We all get so caught up in our routines that if anyone disrupts it then we're on the defensive.
People can "disrupt my routine" in public and it's rarely a problem. Coming to my home is a diff story altogether. I doubt they would like it if I knocked on their door and shoved something in their face. In fact I'm quite sure they wouldn't be thrilled if I went "hi let me tell you about the Catholic faith...."

But the Mormons and JWs are different. They are sacrificing a lot and trying to make a difference...although I disagree with their beliefs.
That's big of you (seriously) but their gross naivete or willful ignorance in how their actions are a net loss is IMO inexcusable.

And Christians should see this as a perfect opportunity to "plant the seed."
No, Christians should see that this method is idiotic in today's world as you cannot drag someone to God. There's a big diff between making one's self available for people interested or leading by example vs getting in someone's face.

My cousin had a good sign when his daughter was first born, said something like:

Baby sleeping

Thank you

I'd hang that sign and if they still rang the bell, I'd get out on the porch, get right in their face, point to the sign and start screaming at them. Tell them you slept two hours last night, you finally got the kid to take a nap and now he's awake because someone can't f'n read, and if it happens again I'm rolling up those Watchtowers and jamming them up your ass.

lol - this might be the best post in this entire thread. I think this may be the way to go. Thx

:wacko: He's a d-bag too and I'm guessing a perv. I wonder if a big ugly dude had anwered the door if he'd done the same...

He certainly seemed dewshy enough to go through with it and I may be wrong, but I'm betting that blonde was a dude at some point.

I never understood why I'm supposed to respect and support individuals simply because they feel so strongly about something, and I'm not just talking about religion. If I'd rather fewer people waste their lives doing x y or z I think not supporting them is a great first step.

Where is football joe?

Here I am. My computer died. :wacko:

I am a Witness although have not been practicing for about 5 years now.

Quite simply, if you do not want them at your door just ask them not to come back. The one you speak to should then give your name and address to the one overseeing the territories and make a notation of it. Perhaps every year or two an elder may come by just to see if you are still living there or if you have changed your mind on the matter.

Many people actually know very little about our beliefs even though they think they do. For example, most people will say we do not believe in Jesus which is far from the truth. We accept Jesus as our savior just as many of you do we just do not belief that Jesus and God (Jehovah) are the same persons. many have spread lies about our beliefs a well.

As for all the name calling, thats expected, we just "shake the dust off their feet" and move on. JW's are just like many other people, they raise families, they work, they enjoy sports, etc. The door to door work is actually a very effective way in "making diciplies" as the bible commands us to do. many have responded and are actually quite grateful for the visits and bible discussions and ask us to return even though they may not become a JW. This work is being done around the world and done free of charge. Yes, donations are sometimes ask for to help with the work but is not required to recieve bible based litature or to discuss the bible. Actually when you consider the time, gas and wear and tear on the car it actually cost us quite a bit. How many other persons have enough faith in their religion that they are willing to do this?

As I mentioned in another post, I will not agrue with anyone about my beliefs but if you want to know about them or have a question I will do my best to answer them. :tup:

Quite simply, if you do not want them at your door just ask them not to come back. The one you speak to should then give your name and address to the one overseeing the territories and make a notation of it. Perhaps every year or two an elder may come by just to see if you are still living there or if you have changed your mind on the matter.

Many people actually know very little about our beliefs even though they think they do. For example, most people will say we do not believe in Jesus which is far from the truth. We accept Jesus as our savior just as many of you do we just do not belief that Jesus and God (Jehovah) are the same persons. many have spread lies about our beliefs a well.

As for all the name calling, thats expected, we just "shake the dust off their feet" and move on. JW's are just like many other people, they raise families, they work, they enjoy sports, etc. The door to door work is actually a very effective way in "making diciplies" as the bible commands us to do. many have responded and are actually quite grateful for the visits and bible discussions and ask us to return even though they may not become a JW. This work is being done around the world and done free of charge. Yes, donations are sometimes ask for to help with the work but is not required to recieve bible based litature or to discuss the bible. Actually when you consider the time, gas and wear and tear on the car it actually cost us quite a bit. How many other persons have enough faith in their religion that they are willing to do this?

As I mentioned in another post, I will not agrue with anyone about my beliefs but if you want to know about them or have a question I will do my best to answer them. :tup:

I've really never had an issue with you guys. I won't listen, but am more than respectful when telling them "No thanks".

With regard to people willing to do extraordinary things for their faith... well, there are always the radical christians willing to go to jail for shooting abortion doctors and then you have the radical muslims of course. So you guys going door to door falls one step below that. Believe me, that isn't a bad thing.

This. They're not really trying to sell you anything. They're annoying but they think they're helping you. I've always been nice to them.

But they are trying to sell you something, their way of life. However, it is a simple enough thing to say no thanx and send them on their way. You will never be able to break their conditioning so the path of least resistance is probably the best course of action.

Baby sleeping

Thank you

I LOVE IT!!

:wacko:

The door to door work is actually a very effective way in "making diciplies"
I seriously doubt it, but anyway -

This isn't about faith, it's about respecting other people's privacy.

I just tried calling several of the local branch offices or churches or whatever. None answered but one left an option to leave a msg so I left one saying here's the address, pls do not visit us any more. I was very polite/etc so I expect them to now do the polite thing and not visit any more. Frankly I doubt this will happen.

A family in the neighborhood I grew up in had a small plaque that said (IIRC) " We are happy with our religious views and possessions, if you are not peddling any of the above Please knock otherwise have a good day."

Add: a small JW church was located in the neighborhood.

Edited by boat_hacked

I seriously doubt it, but anyway -

So you know more about the results of their knocking on doors then they do?

Do you think that if it didn't work that they'd change the way they'd do things or just keep wasting their time.

Do you think that somebody has a greater chance to become a JW on their own or as a result of ministering from another?

Just don't get the hostility towards JWs or Mormons. I don't like it when they knock...but if it's during reasonable hours then I'm nice to them. And you can say they're selling God but come on. It's way different (at least to me) than the pest control people knocking.

Just don't get the hostility towards JWs or Mormons. I don't like it when they knock...but if it's during reasonable hours then I'm nice to them. And you can say they're selling God but come on. It's way different (at least to me) than the pest control people knocking.

You must understand, some people just aren't satisfied with life unless they have something to bitch and moan about. :wacko:

:wacko: This thread brought back an old memory. My mother-n-law actually had a sign on her porch that said"

No Solicitors or Jehovah Witnesses

As I recall it was metal, so I'm guessing that back in the day you could buy one at the local Hardware Store.

Who is Jesus, exactly?

As I mentioned in another post, I will not agrue with anyone about my beliefs but if you want to know about them or have a question I will do my best to answer them. :wacko:

Joe. I am sure I can look this up, but I prefer to be interactive and ask. I knew a couple kids growing up in Woodstock who were JW. The most notable thing I recall is them not celebrating 'holidays' (birthdays, Christmas and such). Is this the case? What all do you celebrate and what would the reason be (if true) to not celebrate something like a birthday. Do you all have your own holidays? How are the celebrated. Just curious. Thanks in advance.

In general I don't appreciate anyone trespassing on my property uninvited, regardless of the reason. If I choose to go to the mall, I understand I have to deal with the guy shouting at me to change my cell phone plan. There should be an understood sanctity for a person's home.

Joe. I am sure I can look this up, but I prefer to be interactive and ask. I knew a couple kids growing up in Woodstock who were JW. The most notable thing I recall is them not celebrating 'holidays' (birthdays, Christmas and such). Is this the case? What all do you celebrate and what would the reason be (if true) to not celebrate something like a birthday. Do you all have your own holidays? How are the celebrated. Just curious. Thanks in advance.

They also do not recite the Pledge of Alligience. But every JW I have ever had a conversation with was polite and well mannered. And most were way more able to answer my questions about their beliefs than the two ladies in the Youtube video.

Do most Christians think Jesus Christ was God? How bizarre.

They also do not recite the Pledge of Alligience. But every JW I have ever had a conversation with was polite and well mannered. And most were way more able to answer my questions about their beliefs than the two ladies in the Youtube video.

Do most Christians think Jesus Christ was God? How bizarre.

All Christians do.