[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Olive Garden

nuke'em ttg

A sommelier once told my wife - at a wine tasting - that "the best tasting wine in the word is simply the one you think tastes the best regardless of price".

There's a hugh difference between best tasting and best.

Yellowtail wine is popular -plenty of people like it. Buts its swill. If you like swill, more power to you - drink your fill. People that really appreciate wine can't drink it.

Same for Bud Light, etc.

If those are your drinks of choice, it means that you don't really appreciate wine or beer (or maybe you don't have a job). Which isn't bad or good - to each his own. Ain't nobody ripping nobody. If a Yellowtail wine/Bud Light drinker takes that personally, he/she should lighten up.

Edited by Furd

Yellowtail wine is popular -plenty of people like it. Buts its swill. If you like swill, more power to you - drink your fill. People that really appreciate wine can't drink it.

Same for Bud Light, etc.

If those are your drinks of choice, it means that you don't really appreciate wine or beer (or maybe you don't have a job). Which isn't bad or good - to each his own. Ain't nobody ripping nobody. If a Yellowtail wine/Bud Light drinker takes that personally, he/she should lighten up.

I drink Miller Lite because I don't much care for beer and it gets me drunk. I will say, though, the one beer I have found I like is Korsendonk, their Abbey Brown Ale, but at 8 bucks a quart it is too expensive to get drunk from so i don't drink it often. Wine, on the other hand, I will get somewhat snobby about because I enjoy it.

Food, I will get snobby about because I enjoy it. Now, said food doesn't have to come out of a top rated chef's kitchen, there is some very good food that Bubba the redneck and his momma cook up, food that has inspired trained chefs, but, it needs to be good and "pure".

Take BBQ for example, this is a food that you're rarely going to dress up to go and have, you're not going to browse the wine list and there won't be courses that preceed it. In most cases, this BBQ is going to be served on disposable "plates". But, that does not mean it is not "good food" and that does not make me a snob in my quest to find the best BBQ.

With BBQ, one could even argue that these chains have upped the ante on your BBQ experience. The facilities are often nicer, the service better, and the wait staff hotter... But the food is sh!t. they use subpar meats, they cook them for a couple hours, they use liquid smoke and their sauce is mass produced by some factory that distributes sh!t sauce to sh!t BBQ restaurants and retailers.

Any how, I don't know what my Fu(king point was... Oh, yeah, just because one espouses the idea that OG is not that good bcause it is a chain is not putting on aires, they are being pretty accurate. But, hey, if you like it,have at it, because ultimately you, and you alone, are the final arbiter of what tastes good and what that food is worth.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Same for Bud Light, etc.

Yup, knew it, only a matter of time. :wacko:

I get that, but there's another side to it. For a country that likes to think it champions excellence and achievement, we sure have a hard time ever recognizing that everyone is not an expert. Which, by the way, is oddly similar to the mantras of the Khmer Rouge and Mao and such. All the "elite" were rounded up because they dared to think that, since they'd actually bothered to learn about something, they had anymore to say about a topic than the normal guy.

:wacko:

Guess where Mrs HR wants to go for our anniversary dinner???????????!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

No. Not Olive Garden. :tup:

But she DOES want to go to Det's the next time she goes to visit her sisiter in North Carolina. I'm up for that! :wacko:

Guess where Mrs HR wants to go for our anniversary dinner???????????!!!!!!!!!!???????????????

But she DOES want to go to Det's the next time she goes to visit her sisiter in North Carolina. I'm up for that! :wacko:

I understand it gets pretty hot in his restaurants. And the toast is freaking awesome!!! :lol:

Dude, tell me honestly you don't think that's the case. We've made "elite" a bad word in this country. How is that not an example of what I'm talking about? Sure, we're not rounding up the bourgoise and putting them in work camps, but there's certainly an attitude growing in this country that does not celebrate knowing a lot about something.

BP and I got into this in terms of the role of a sommellier. I think the "the best tasting wine in the world is the one you like" bit is a total cop-out on the part of someone whose specific job is to be the guy who knows more about wine than anyone in the room and to help people find a good wine. And he's expected to say, "Hey, what do I know? I'm not the boss of you. Get whatever floats your boat"? Why have him there?

Sure, eat or drink what you want. But this notion that challenging someone for championing a place like Olive Garden is snobbish and unwarranted speaks to that bit about celebrating mediocrity rather than risking coming off "elitist".

ETA: I do understand why a wine pro would say something to that effect to a person. They rightly want to take away any intimidation for someone just getting started. So, if they taste a particularly heralded wine and it's not their thing, they don't want to say, "Well, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Go away."

However, to take that to mean. "This is it. I've found a wine to which there is no better because I think Yellowtail is delicious and anyone who disagrees and prefers "fancy" wines is a snob." That is where you've made the stretch.

Edited by detlef

The chains fill a market demand -- cheap, plentiful grub for people who are perfectly content to eat mediocre food, can't afford better, are in a hurry, or are traveling and it's right off the highway exit. Nothing wrong with it. Better places exist in every city. Choice is good. Sometimes you just want a cheap burger with Jack Daniels sauce and applewood smoked bacon and wash it down with a 36-ounce blue margarita...can't say I want that much anymore as I've gotten older, but the younger crowd digs that sort of thing. When you're in your 20's, not making a ton of money, a date at Chili's or Olive Garden is what you can afford.

I have to give one chain a shout out though -- Texas Roadhouse. Free peanuts, decent quality grilled steaks, straightforward sides. If you want a steak, don't feel like getting dressed up and don't want to pay a ridiculous amount, you could do a lot worse.

I ate at OG occasionally when I was younger, can't remember the last time I went. It was a good for a cheap light lunch -- soup, salad, breadsticks. They do those three things pretty well, not that it's any great achievement. Nowadays when it comes to Italian I much prefer a good local spot. Can't wait to get back to Atlanta, there are tons of good ones. Mexican too.

I understand it gets pretty hot in his restaurants. And the toast is freaking awesome!!! :wacko:

Dude, Jujube is barely keeping up. Just replaced the HVAC this past January, but the poor little place has got like a million widows and the body heat makes it tough.

Dos Perros, on the other hand is nice and cool!

Oh and good to hear! Let me know when you're coming around!

Other restaurants who make real food from scratch are not my competition, they're my colleagues, so I'm not going to take shots at them or who eats there. Olive Garden and company are absolutely my competition. Because I do think they're misleading the public and undermining the idea of individuality, craftsmanship, and regional community. There was a time when each town had it's own flavor. Now each town has an Olive Garden, a Starbucks, a Cheesecake Factory, and so on. And I find that very unfortunate. And something worth fighting against. Because not doing so rewards mediocrity, and that seems contrary to what America allegedly stands for.

I can agree with this. I like some of the chain restaurants for the value and good family atmosphere they provide (we know how much you like the kids at your restaurant :wacko: ), but it makes me somewhat sad that many of these chain eateries are pushing the truly unique establishments out of business. Life is boring if everything is the same. For me, it's less about the quality of food as I think there's a place for many different tastes. It's more about each town having it's own flavor and not seeing an Applebee's (one of my least favorites of the chain bunch) on every corner where there could be something new and eye-opening.

Dude, Jujube is barely keeping up. Just replaced the HVAC this past January, but the poor little place has got like a million widows and the body heat makes it tough.

Dos Perros, on the other hand is nice and cool!

Great, it's full of spiders and smells like B.O. I'd rather eat at Olive Garden.

for the sake of brevity- agree with det, furd, sec, and matt.

oh...OG sucks

Bunch of freaking snobs on these boards..... but you're still my friend.

Can't say I am a big fan of Olive Garden, but I'll eat there. Can't say I order their pasta dishes, usually get the mixed grill plate. But, when 90% of my dining out experiences involve a 6 year old, a 4 year old and a 7 month old, I'd rather not go somewhere nice. Oliv Garden, Chili's and Red Robin fit the bill for this nicely.

Dude, tell me honestly you don't think that's the case. We've made "elite" a bad word in this country. How is that not an example of what I'm talking about? Sure, we're not rounding up the bourgoise and putting them in work camps, but there's certainly an attitude growing in this country that does not celebrate knowing a lot about something.

BP and I got into this in terms of the role of a sommellier. I think the "the best tasting wine in the world is the one you like" bit is a total cop-out on the part of someone whose specific job is to be the guy who knows more about wine than anyone in the room and to help people find a good wine. And he's expected to say, "Hey, what do I know? I'm not the boss of you. Get whatever floats your boat"? Why have him there?

Sure, eat or drink what you want. But this notion that challenging someone for championing a place like Olive Garden is snobbish and unwarranted speaks to that bit about celebrating mediocrity rather than risking coming off "elitist".

ETA: I do understand why a wine pro would say something to that effect to a person. They rightly want to take away any intimidation for someone just getting started. So, if they taste a particularly heralded wine and it's not their thing, they don't want to say, "Well, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Go away."

To clarify, you can recommend wine/beer pairings all you want based on increased wine knowledge than the average diner. I do it in every club I have been at. If they disagree, God bless. It isnt my place to look down on them for what they prefer, that is their right and everyone has a different palette. Celebrate your preferences all you want, but when you turn it into looking down on someone becasue they like something that is SOOO generic and mainstream, it goes to a level of douchebaggery. There are no right and wrong answers when it comes to food and beverage, just suggestions and preferences. This isnt like solving an algebra equation.

Lead the horse to water, do whatever you can to educate based on your experiences when asked for your advice, and what happens, happens. Getting obstinate and looking down on people that like Olive Garden may give you a false sense of superiority, nothing more. Keep in mind that peoiple not in our business may just not care as much as we do. If you want to have a discussion about celebrating mediocrity, I recommend the "American Idol" thread.

That eing said, my wife likes Olive Garden so we go there occasionally with the kids. It is consistent, and unsurprising, but by no means "bad". If you like and prefer it God bless . . . that means that it should be easier for me to get a table at a restaurant I really want to go to.

Edited by bpwallace49

Great, it's full of spiders and smells like B.O. I'd rather eat at Olive Garden.

Bunch of freaking snobs on these boards..... but you're still my friend.

Can't say I am a big fan of Olive Garden, but I'll eat there. Can't say I order their pasta dishes, usually get the mixed grill plate. But, when 90% of my dining out experiences involve a 6 year old, a 4 year old and a 7 month old, I'd rather not go somewhere nice. Oliv Garden, Chili's and Red Robin fit the bill for this nicely.

i can fully appreciate wanting to go someplace quick and cheap with the kids. i also think places like red robin, chili's, chevy's, red lobster are much better than OG. additionally, there are better italian chains if one wants to go that route. if someone tells me "it's quick and easy" no problem... i just don't see it as good. there are plenty of mom-n-pop italian places that aren't that much more, but significantly increases quality for the price increase.

snob out

i can fully appreciate wanting to go someplace quick and cheap with the kids. i also think places like red robin, chili's, chevy's, red lobster are much better than OG. additionally, there are better italian chains if one wants to go that route. if someone tells me "it's quick and easy" no problem... i just don't see it as good. there are plenty of mom-n-pop italian places that aren't that much more, but significantly increases quality for the price increase.

snob out

Red Lobster and Olive Garden are both Levy Restaurants.

And if you think that they use a lot of butter at Olive garden, Red Lobster has them beat by a country mile.

Red Lobster and Olive Garden are both Levy Restaurants.

And if you think that they use a lot of butter at Olive garden, Red Lobster has them beat by a country mile.

i know, still better than og imo

According to det's criteria I must now look down on you in derision and scorn.

Now det will come along and bring the pain with a ponderous tome of a reply. :tup:

i believe rl comes closer to what a seafood restaurant should be doing than og to italian

I've been called an elitist prick many a time, but I have to say it never occurred to me to compare those lobbing the derision to pol pot or stalin. it's a novel idea, I grant you that.

and look, the very notion of being some sort of connoisseur means you're embracing tastes that are not shared by the majority of folks. and when you take it upon yourself to tell others how stupid and mundane their preferences are, I think it is only natural to expect a chilly response. no, not everyone is an "expert". but those who hold themselves out as experts often DO deserve a good amount of the ribbing they receive -- they have plenty of blind spots and prejudices themselves.

me, I'm just glad I live in a place where I can drive half a mile in one direction and get a phenomenal thai dish prepared by a little badass from burma for 10 bucks. or I can drive half a mile in another direction and get a delicious grease-bomb of a carne asada chimichanga for $5. or, if I'm in the mood, a quarter pounder with cheese for $3. and while the olive garden isn't a place I'm ever going to choose (unless I'm in a small town in kansas and the other choices are pizza hut and denny's), hey, if people dig it, good for them. and you know what, I kinda suspect that if you did a blind taste test with some of their dishes next to other chains, and/or next to similarly conceived dishes from local mom and pop italian joints, the OG stuff would probably fare ok. people are going to like what they like, and the greatest number will always flock to the lowest common denominator when it comes to art, music, food, or anything else. and if they (OG) catch lightning in a bottle by offering white zin, free breadsticks and mediocre alfredo, no sweat off my back -- at least I've got an option besides denny's and pizza hut next time I'm hungry in a small town in kansas.