[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NBA lockout

SLAYER

after getting football back, the MLB trading deadline just passed. Do you even care about the NBA lockout?

yup - for me it is NFL, NBA and a distant distant 3rd MLB........NFL and NBA have the best athletes on the planet.

MLB bores me to death, and I grew up an hugh baseball fan.

the roids, hgh, nonstop ridiculously nerdy stats..... just don't care

Yeah, I care. Three years ago I would have cared tremendously. I was more passionate about the Sonics than the other two major local pro sports teams. Now I do nothing more than watch from afar, but still I care some. Maybe I'm more into it because it is a much different problem than in the NFL. The owners in many cases are losing quite a bit of money, even to the point where some may not profit at all in the long haul under the old model. The players are going to have to give money back, and pretty substantial money in some cases. Unlike football, the basketball players have other options. They can make their multi-million dollar contracts in other countries. They risk losing fame, but there are some deep European pockets. So in that sense, unlike football, the players have some leverage. The owners desperately need the players if they want to make money. I still don't see how the players need the owners, but that is a topic for another time. I don't see how this one ends as smoothly, because the majority of owners don't get hurt at all if there isn't a season. In fact, many of them SAVE money when there is a work stoppage. You've also got the David Stern factor. He's going to say my way or the highway, and nobody has had the balls to stand up to him yet. We'll see if anything changes this time around. This is making for interesting drama. I still enjoy the NBA, and would miss it if it is gone. I'll always marvel at what some of these players can do. Dirk Nowitzki is 7'1". Unbelievable. Derrick Rose drops my jaw on a nightly basis. The NBA still and will always scratch me where I itch in that sense.

I'm not nearly as into the NBA as I once was, but I still care. This upcoming season is is serious jeopardy. Thankfully, if there's no NBA, it'd just allow me to pay more attention to college hoops, which is infinitely more entertaining at this point, even with kids leaving early.

I'm not nearly as into the NBA as I once was, but I still care. This upcoming season is is serious jeopardy. Thankfully, if there's no NBA, it'd just allow me to pay more attention to college hoops, which is infinitely more entertaining at this point, even with kids leaving early.

If the NBA doesn't change itself pretty fundamentally, those kids won't be leaving early any more.

Nope. The regular season is 80% irrelevant. Let them stay out most of the year, come back in time for a 30 game season where every team plays every other team once -- then go into the playoffs with the top 8 from each conference. It would actually make the product more exciting.

Nope. The regular season is 80% irrelevant. Let them stay out most of the year, come back in time for a 30 game season where every team plays every other team once -- then go into the playoffs with the top 8 from each conference. It would actually make the product more exciting.

To play each other once, it would be a 29 game season. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

I just don't see how this gets done.

With the NFL, it seemed easy. Both sides were making plenty of money, and both sides had a ton to lose. Players had no other options to make anywhere near that sort of jack doing anything, and many owners were on the hook for stadiums that they needed to pay for. You knew something would be done, and that the whole thing was just a power play to shift the dollars.

Couldn't be further from the truth here. Unlike the NFL, I do believe that plenty of owners are losing their asses in the NBA. That they absolutely can't afford to keep going with the status quo. So, they're simply not going to cave without a deal that really makes sense. On the other hand, unlike the NFL players, NBA players do actually have options. They can play over-seas. For less, mind you, than they were making in the NBA, but still for good money. And money that is probably not going to look as much lower when compared to what the owners are going to try and get going forward.

In other words, who's going to blink? The owners who simply can't afford to continue without drastic changes or the players who have other options.

The only way I'll ever be a fan of the NBA is if there is a radical over-haul of the system. The NBA, not basketball, is not something I can relate with. I hope it causes so much pain that they do fix it and find a way to make it a men's league, not a league full of immature boys who have to somehow be men because of the money.

The only way I'll ever be a fan of the NBA is if there is a radical over-haul of the system. The NBA, not basketball, is not something I can relate with. I hope it causes so much pain that they do fix it and find a way to make it a men's league, not a league full of immature boys who have to somehow be men because of the money.

So, in other words, you want to blow up AAU, high-profile HS and College basketball, and every step along the way where adults profit from coddling and sheltering growing boys from the consequences of any actions that would keep them off the court and ultimately producing highly skilled social retards?

I recognize that, deep down, these kids should understand right from wrong. But training is everything. And if the authority figures in your life are 1) telling you over and over that you're god and 2) brushing every transgression you make under the rug as long as you can still light it up on the court...

Essentially, we're expecting the youngest players in this whole act to be the ones who are going to rise above it all and deny the temptations. Yet, somehow, amazingly enough, that doesn't work out all the time.

Sure - blow it all up. I'm fine with that and won't miss it.

They should start with paying the kids in college who stay a full four years, or redshirted five years. Give them an incentive to stay at that level and become men. Provide financial incentive for these boys in AAU, cash/stability driven. It's hard work, and they do it for free with the hope that they can cash in one day. Get quick rich schemes don't work in the real world, and they shouldn't in this sport either.

The closest example I can think of in regards to how completely broken the entire system is - Jereme Richmond. Coddled since a Freshman in high school, and he is broken. He left college for money, wasn't drafted, probably will be in jail soon based on recent events, or he's going down the path. He left after his Freshman year. Not drafted. Give that guy some financial incentive to stay, create an IRA of sorts for him but force him to commit to something other than the all mighty quick dollar. Take away the quick buck from someone and force them to earn it, and it's a step in the right direction.

Apparently the owners are close to offering a 50/50 split but the players are holding out for 53% (might come down to 52%). This is an $80 million difference. I am pretty sure some games will get canceled Monday but the bulk of the season will be played.

The drivers behind the players are the agents, not the players themselves. Neither side wants to lose this one but I doubt either side can afford a lost season.

This needs to change, 3 yrs after high school like football.

why?

If an 18 year-old is good enough to play in the NBA, why should there be any rules to prevent him from doing so?

(I can much more understand the NFL rule due to the much more physical nature of the sport.)