[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stock Market took a beating today...

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

A liitle off-topic, but I was wondering what you guys thought about gold right now...

Back when the market first started going south, I bailed on my mutual funds just before the rebound :wacko:, but made it back by putting a good bit into into a gold stock at under 90 ($900/ounce), and leaving the rest in cash.. Cha Ching, sitting at about an 80% return right now.

However, gold doesn't always seem to have a true opposite correlation to the market... Some of the time, it will go up as a safer option in an unstable market, but some of the time it will take a hit right along with the market... Just curious if anyone knows how gold will be affected by all of this (including things like sell-offs we saw there recently)...

Edited by delusions of granduer

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A liitle off-topic, but I was wondering what you guys thought about gold right now...

Back when the market first started going south, I bailed on my mutual funds just before the rebound :wacko:, but made it back by putting a good bit into into a gold stock at under 90 ($900/ounce), and leaving the rest in cash.. Cha Ching, sitting at about an 80% return right now.

However, gold doesn't always seem to have a true opposite correlation to the market... Some of the time, it will go up as a safer option in an unstable market, but some of the time it will take a hit right along with the market... Just curious if anyone knows how gold will be affected by all of this (including things like sell-offs we saw there recently)...

For every 100oz of gold production there is only like 6oz of platinum. Gold is absolutely not worth as much as platinum. I say gold is in a bubble but with the debt making the dollar worth less than air, gold could keep rallying for a while. At some point there will be a great short play in gold. Something like short at 2400 and cover at 800. But it might not get that high, so buying now hoping to cash in on a pro-longed bull market in gold is not a smart play.

E2A: Forgot to mention in the first paragraph that gold is basically the same price as platinum right now.

http://www.kitco.com/market/

Edited by Brentastic

President Obama says that Warren Buffett would still give us a Quadruple A rating, so you know... we got THAT going for us. He also chastized the Republicans for using the debt ceiling deadline as a bargaining chip. That must be why S&P downgraded us, because even though an agreement was reached, they didn't like the way that the Republicans negotiated that agreement. Yep.

what has Buffett done lately other than lose money on his investments? :wacko:

Yeah, good thing Boehner got 98% of what he wanted. Too bad S&P thinks the deal sucked.

All they had to do was make a deal to reform what is driving the economy to the brink... social security, medicare/medicaid and defense. But, no, they couldn't do that.

And, Joe, my first comment was in jest...

You people need to lighten the fu(k up around here.

All they had to do was make a deal to reform what is driving the economy to the brink... social security, medicare/medicaid and defense and raise revenue. But, no, they couldn't do that.

And, Joe, my first comment was in jest...

You people need to lighten the fu(k up around here.

Fixed.

...and I didn't realize I was flying off the handle with my comment...jeez...talk about lightening up.

gold is viewed more as a currency as it has been in history and there is a lot of it...as is silver, but silver is used much more in manufacturing....platinum is like a baby compared to gold and silver as it was not discovered until sometime in the 1800's I believe....and gold is worth about as much as platinum right now....

gold is not in a bubble yet as it needs a few weeks at least of parabolic type gains to be in a bubble....otherwise we're just seeing business as usual as we've seen in the last decade....

I hold physical though I don't completely knock paper contracts,....and I am looking to get out myself within the next 6-12 months...or weeks?...it depends on what the movements are like....silver was a great investment 2 years ago and the bubble that was pretty obvious to spot had already burst, but I think it still stands to gain at least 40% more from the current spot price....

gold is a safe investment in the next year or two imo if you have a lot of money to plug into it as it should exceed $2,000 an oz....I think that once it hits around 2300-2500 we may start seeing a bubble, but I first got in about $800 ago and it just seems to have a healthy climb...so we'll see I guess...

It's going to get worse folks. You better not root for QE3 because that will just delay the inevitable.

Ouch - http://www.bloomberg.com/markets/stocks/world-indexes/

QE3 or whatever it will be called is literally around the corner at this rate....imo of course....things can't continue this way under the current conditions and the only solution that anyone knows is to float the markets up for another 6-12 months.....at least quarterly earnings might look good? :wacko:

QE3 or whatever it will be called is literally around the corner at this rate....imo of course....things can't continue this way under the current conditions and the only solution that anyone knows is to float the markets up for another 6-12 months.....at least quarterly earnings might look good? :wacko:

We're up at Dos Perros :tup: