[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stock Market took a beating today...

JoJoTheWebToedBoy

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume that extra digit omission was not intentional :lol: Course the way we're going :wacko:

sigh. I'm afraid to even look at my 401K.

S&P, not Dow.

Time to buy? I heard last week that large cap growth stocks were at 68% of historic valuation prices. And that's before this irrational dump today. At least I hope its irrational. :tup:

S&P, not Dow.

Time to buy? I heard last week that large cap growth stocks were at 68% of historic valuation prices. And that's before this irrational dump today. At least I hope its irrational. :wacko:

not time to buy...yet imo...this isn't going to be an all out crash because it will bounce back...

well, who knows, maybe it's time to buy :tup:

Good thing we are keeping those tax cuts in place. :wacko:

The bush tax cuts need to end on TOP of increased cuts to spending if any progress is to be made.

Maybe that won't fall on deaf ears in the next election.

You want to see a double-dip? Raise taxes right now. Obama has had 3 good things happen to him in his presidency, and the other two came out of the barrel of Navy Seal's rifles, the third is that someone in that admin was bright enough to tell him if he raised those taxes he'd never see a second term. Now, if there was some "overhaul" type plan that lowered rates but broadened the base, then that could work. Rolling back those cuts right now would make an economy already growing at less than 1% go back into recession, damn near guaranteed.

S&P, not Dow.

Time to buy? I heard last week that large cap growth stocks were at 68% of historic valuation prices. And that's before this irrational dump today. At least I hope its irrational. :wacko:

Put me down on the side of irrational. I'm buying tomorrow.

You want to see a double-dip? Raise taxes right now. Obama has had 3 good things happen to him in his presidency, and the other two came out of the barrel of Navy Seal's rifles, the third is that someone in that admin was bright enough to tell him if he raised those taxes he'd never see a second term. Now, if there was some "overhaul" type plan that lowered rates but broadened the base, then that could work. Rolling back those cuts right now would make an economy already growing at less than 1% go back into recession, damn near guaranteed.

And yet the inability to increase revenues is one of the reasons I have seen as to why the US got downgraded.

Should the taxes that were NEVER designed or supposed to last past 10 years continue, which was one of the justifications used to downgrade the US credit rating?

What would be a viable alternative? Cause just cuts wont reduce the long term deficit, BOTH massive cuts and reinstating the tax rates of less than 20 years ago need to be done for long term success.

S&P, not Dow.

My bad, thx. Yikes anyway.

Trying to buy low is tempting, but fear is a powerful thing.

I hope you guys are joking about buying? Don't let the 'buy the dip' pundits sucker you into thinking that is sound strategy becuase it's not. And just because it worked during the wave 2 rally from Mar 09 until May 11 doesn't mean it will work again. I'm seeing a lot of amateur traders/investors in this thread and trust me, that's not meant to be offensive, it just is what it is - my point though is that there is too much going on in the global financial world and even the most experienced of traders shouldn't be trying to time this market for buying opportunities. There will be plenty of bounces on the way to Dow 3k but the bear market is back in full effect which means the declines will be swift and sudden (as I've mentioned thousands of times). Unless you're a highly skilled trader, you better not buy this market.

Edited by Brentastic

I hope you guys are joking about buying? Don't let the 'buy the dip' pundits sucker you into thinking that is sound strategy becuase it's not. And just because it worked during the wave 2 rally from Mar 09 until May 11 doesn't mean it will work again. I'm seeing a lot of amateur traders/investors in this thread and trust me, that's not meant to be offensive, it just is what it is - my point though is that there is too much going on in the global financial world and even the most experienced of traders shouldn't be trying to time this market. There will be bounces but the bear market is back in full effect. Unless you're skilled enough to day trade or swing trade, you better not touch this market.

I think we're due for a more devastating crash but that isn't until sometime next year imo....I think it'll bounce back after more quantitative easing...not because I like the fundamentals, but some money could be had at this point...I still wouldn't be long AT ALL...

I think we're due for a more devastating crash but that isn't until sometime next year imo....I think it'll bounce back after more quantitative easing...not because I like the fundamentals, but some money could be had at this point...I still wouldn't be long AT ALL...

Sure, it could bounce and certainly will to some extent but unless you are a skilled trader, you shouldn't be fading the trend - and I don't see any bounce getting us back to pre-May levels. Outside of a very few select huddlers, I'm sure most on here don't have the trading experience to make money fading this market. Also, trying to fade it now is similar to catching a falling knife. Until the market establishes some support levels and range bound action you'd have to be a moran or just straight gambling to buy this market tomorrow (as some have indicated).

Sure, it could bounce and certainly will to some extent but unless you are a skilled trader, you shouldn't be fading the trend - and I don't see any bounce getting us back to pre-May levels. Outside of a very few select huddlers, I'm sure most on here don't have the trading experience to make money fading this market. Also, trying to fade it now is similar to catching a falling knife. Until the market establishes some support levels and range bound action you'd have to be a moran or just straight gambling to buy this market tomorrow (as some have indicated).

I wouldn't say tomorrow...but when QE3 rolls around the market is going to float right back up....I don't like it, but it is what it is...

if the market is gonna crash, let it crash already and get it over with...

Edited by Avernus

Dollar Cost Average my friend. Too risky to time it.

meh....thats a strategy lauded by fund managers and others with an interest in you doing one thing...buying. As Brent mentions, that's predominantly a strategy for a bull market.

Dollar cost averaging works well when the market is heading up, with a few valleys here and there...not when the market is heading south, with a few peaks here and there.

And yet the inability to increase revenues is one of the reasons I have seen as to why the US got downgraded.

Should the taxes that were NEVER designed or supposed to last past 10 years continue, which was one of the justifications used to downgrade the US credit rating?

What would be a viable alternative? Cause just cuts wont reduce the long term deficit, BOTH massive cuts and reinstating the tax rates of less than 20 years ago need to be done for long term success.

Take a deep breath and re-read my post. If they did an overhaul which lowered rates but broadened the base that could work.

I hope you guys are joking about buying? Don't let the 'buy the dip' pundits sucker you into thinking that is sound strategy becuase it's not. And just because it worked during the wave 2 rally from Mar 09 until May 11 doesn't mean it will work again. I'm seeing a lot of amateur traders/investors in this thread and trust me, that's not meant to be offensive, it just is what it is - my point though is that there is too much going on in the global financial world and even the most experienced of traders shouldn't be trying to time this market for buying opportunities. There will be plenty of bounces on the way to Dow 3k but the bear market is back in full effect which means the declines will be swift and sudden (as I've mentioned thousands of times). Unless you're a highly skilled trader, you better not buy this market.

+1 on buying equities now. The only thing I bought today was some QID and DOG. I'm not going to fight the trend. However, there is one stock I will buy and that is Apple. If AAPL hits $300 I am taking out a home equity loan and loading up the truck. I'm not touching my 401k, if Dow goes to 3k then so be it. I've been in cash and back into equities a couple of times in the last 5 years and it never seems to work out for me. I will dollar cost average and hope there is a recovery in the next 25 years :wacko:

Brent, where are you putting your money? If you think gold is in a bubble and the DOW is going to 3k are you just sitting in cash and shorting? Personally, I still think gold has some legs left and am still buying.

Edited by Piles

Take a deep breath and re-read my post. If they did an overhaul which lowered rates but broadened the base that could work.

So have the poor pay more taxes? That is your plan? By "broadening the base" are you referring to having those on the lower end of the fiscal ladder pay taxes that currently do not because they dont make enough money?

And then concurrently lower taxes for those HIGHER on the income ladder at the same time?

Could you provide some backup as to how this would work to get our country of its fiscal difficulties it currently faces?

I hope you guys are joking about buying? Don't let the 'buy the dip' pundits sucker you into thinking that is sound strategy becuase it's not. And just because it worked during the wave 2 rally from Mar 09 until May 11 doesn't mean it will work again. I'm seeing a lot of amateur traders/investors in this thread and trust me, that's not meant to be offensive, it just is what it is- my point though is that there is too much going on in the global financial world and even the most experienced of traders shouldn't be trying to time this market for buying opportunities. There will be plenty of bounces on the way to Dow 3k but the bear market is back in full effect which means the declines will be swift and sudden (as I've mentioned thousands of times). Unless you're a highly skilled trader, you better not buy this market.

was gonna type something. changed my mind. carry on.

Edited by Jackass