Sign in to follow this  
buddahj

Dan Uggla

Dude has a 32 game hitting streak going & still is only hitting .229. I can't say I've ever seen that before.

If he's been going 1 for 4, it won't help him much...

He was batting .173 before the streak started. :wacko:

He's only been hitting like .360 even during the streak, which is incredibly low for a streak so long. But the power numbers are there. Geez, I almost dropped the guy so many times on my fantasy team! Now he's pretty much the centerpiece for my playoff push. But then again, if I don't make the playoffs, it will be largely his fault as I drafted him in like the 3rd round and couldn't start him for half the year.

He's only been hitting like .360 even during the streak, which is incredibly low for a streak so long. But the power numbers are there. Geez, I almost dropped the guy so many times on my fantasy team! Now he's pretty much the centerpiece for my playoff push. But then again, if I don't make the playoffs, it will be largely his fault as I drafted him in like the 3rd round and couldn't start him for half the year.

:wacko: DiMaggio hit .409 during his streak. 49 batting points higher... would we consider that a huge difference? I know a bit about baseball, but not enough to make a definitive call there.

:wacko: DiMaggio hit .409 during his streak. 49 batting points higher... would we consider that a huge difference? I know a bit about baseball, but not enough to make a definitive call there.

If you were to plot all of the batting averages, of players with hitting streaks over X number of games, it's going to look like a bell curve or sorts. In other words, there aren't going to be a lot of averages under .300, but there aren't going to be a ton over say, .450 or .500, either. If I had to guess, without doing the research, I'd say most batters hit in the low/mid 300 to low 400 range, during such a streak. So, (again, this is just speculation on my part), .360 is probably in the middle (to lower side) of that range, while .409 is definitely on the higher side of the curve. And, yes, fifty percentage points is a pretty significant difference.

Here is a list of 30-game streaks in MLB....

30-game hitting streaks in MLB history

Interesting that about 2/3 of the list falls between 30 and 35 games.

Here is another article about MLB's longest streaks, that includes stats during said streaks... At first glance, it appears he's right. Many of the streaks are over .400, while .360 would appear to definitely be on the lower side of the list:

LINK

Edit: After actually doing some quick research, it looks like my initial assumption was slightly off, in that .360 is closer to the lower side (rather than the middle) of the range of such averages.

Edited by Gopher

49 points in baseball is hugh

would you rather have a guy bat .250 or .299?

difference is almost All-Star vs below average batter

2 for 2 so far tonight. The streak's up to 33 & avg up to .233.

Edited by buddahj

49 points in baseball is hugh

would you rather have a guy bat .250 or .299?

difference is almost All-Star vs below average batter

Well .250 for a season vs. .299 for a season, yeah that's a big difference. I get that.

But .360 for a long streak of games vs. .409?

.250 vs. .299 for a streak of 30-60 games, to me, not a big difference. :wacko:

Well .250 for a season vs. .299 for a season, yeah that's a big difference. I get that.

But .360 for a long streak of games vs. .409?

.250 vs. .299 for a streak of 30-60 games, to me, not a big difference. :wacko:

I can't explain baseball right now :tup:

I would rather have my second baseman hit .240 and pop 35 homers and drive in 100 than have some punch and judy .290 htter.

Uggla put too much pressure on himself his first few months in ATL. Fredi Gonzalez just consistently said, "The back of the baseball card doesn't lie". I guess he was right.

Uggla and Freeman have been carrying this team offensively for the last month and a half.