[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goodbye to The Big Z.

Pope Flick

I'll admit, this guy has been my favorite MLB'er ever since he developed the habit of marching to the back of the mound and yelling at himself when things didn't go his way. It's nice to see players that care. [He pissed off Barry Bonds once because he struck him out with the bases loaded and Big Z gave some very enthusiastic fist pumps. It was a classic Bonds moment: he reacted like that because he respected you Barry, not because he dissed you.]

But somewhere along the lines, he didn't just jump the shark he jumped off the tracks. Multiple dugout fights and anger management. Even through all that, I was a fan of a Cubs team that otherwise showed no passion to win. He was, in essence doing what I would have loved to do: calling out teammates who were -obviously- going through the motions. But it certainly began to wear thin, and yesterday it became pretty clear he's done with the Cubs. He's now been suspended, but there's no way a team clearly in rebuilding mode can keep him on, no matter the cost. He's owed 23 mil for next year, but he's cleaned out his locker. This will be interesting drama for sure, and is very much shades of how Sosa slunk out of town in his last game.

The guy has problems, and money isn't one of them. He's squandered some serious talent, but hopefully he can get his head on straight and enjoy his new life, whether with another team or not playing at all.

This is a major bummer for me, because as I said he became my favorite MLB'er on my favorite team around 2003, when Wood and Prior were getting the hype but this 20 year old kid really had pop and heart. Also, I can't stand the DH, and he might be one of the 10 best hitting pitchers in MLB history, and easily the best one of our generation: in 708 plate appearances, he has a .241 BA, a .395 slug and .646 OPS with 23 homers. In 3 of 10 seasons he's hit over .300. He certainly does his damage at the plate, especially for an NL player.

Finally, he only ever seemed inclined to pop off on his teammates, as he's always had a nice public personality, and never got busted for dumb stuff, nor has his name been listed as having been positive for PEDs of any type. Clearly a true head case and a drag of a tale nevertheless.

Here's the latest.

He's since been placed on the "disqualified list", meaning he gets no pay and can't interact with the team for 30 days.

From the sounds of the article, the team is thoroughly disgusted by his actions yesterday. A brush-back pitch is one thing, but two in a row to a class-act like Jones, with the 2nd so far inside it reached the backstop? All on a night when they were honoring one of the best managers in the history of baseball in Bobby Cox? Cubs ownership actually called the Braves to apologize for their player's actions. Classy.

Many athletes have put their egos ahead of the team....this is so far past that, its actually sad. Dude truly needs his head examined.

He's since been placed on the "disqualified list", meaning he gets no pay and can't interact with the team for 30 days.

From the sounds of the article, the team is thoroughly disgusted by his actions yesterday. A brush-back pitch is one thing, but two in a row to a class-act like Jones, with the 2nd so far inside it reached the backstop? All on a night when they were honoring one of the best managers in the history of baseball in Bobby Cox? Cubs ownership actually called the Braves to apologize for their player's actions. Classy.

Many athletes have put their egos ahead of the team....this is so far past that, its actually sad. Dude truly needs his head examined.

I didn't see or hear about that, either. That's not like him. His frustrations obviously got the better of him, but there's no excuse for that. Bummed things had to go down like that and really disappointed it could be ending like this for him. He's better than that.

Cubs place Zambrano on disqualified list

By CHARLES ODUM, AP Sports Writer 1 hour, 8 minutes ago

ATLANTA (AP)—The Chicago Cubs placed Carlos Zambrano(notes) on the disqualified list Saturday and said the right-hander would receive no pay and have no part in team activities for 30 days. Zambrano cleaned out his locker and left the team after giving up five homers and being ejected from Friday night’s 10-4 loss to the Braves. He did not return to the team Saturday.

General manager Jim Hendry said Saturday that Zambrano’s actions, including a brush-back pitch to Chipper Jones(notes) that led to the ejection, were “intolerable.”

This was the most stringent penalty we could enforce without a release,” Hendry said.

Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster(notes) had similarly strong words.

“He’s made his bed. Let him sleep in it,” Dempster said.

“It’s not like it’s something new.”

Hendry said Major League Baseball and the players’ association would discuss Zambrano’s statements about his baseball future.

Cubs manager Mike Quade said Friday night that Zambrano told team personnel he might retire. “There’s not much worse than running out on your teammates in the middle of a ballgame,” Hendry said on a conference call.

Hendry said he apologized to Braves general manager Frank Wren for the actions by Zambrano on the same night Atlanta honored former manager Bobby Cox.

Zambrano was ejected by plate umpire Tim Timmons in the fifth inning after throwing two inside pitches to Jones, the second going all the way to the backstop. The brush-back pitches followed homers by Freddie Freeman(notes) and Dan Uggla(notes).

“It was uncalled for, the pitch to Chipper Jones,” Hendry said.

“I feel that anything at all to detract from Bobby Cox’s night other than usual competition is totally intolerable.”

Asked if he knew where Zambrano was on Saturday, Hendry said: “I have no idea.”

Jones said Hendry’s comments were “a class move. I appreciated it.”

Added Jones: “I like Carlos. I’ve always liked Carlos. He’s an intense competitor. Unfortunately, sometimes that hurts him.”

Cubs third baseman Aramis Ramirez(notes) said Zambrano would be welcomed back by his teammates, but only if he made changes.“If he changes his attitude, he’s more than welcome,” Ramirez said.“He’s got to think a little bit more. He’s one man. It’s not just one time. A lot of people have tried to help him. He won’t let them.”

Zambrano was placed on the restricted list for six weeks and sent to anger management last season after a verbal altercation with then-teammate Derrek Lee(notes). In 2009, he was suspended following a tirade against an umpire in which he threw a baseball into the outfield and slammed his glove against the dugout fence.

Outfielder Marlon Byrd(notes) said he talked with Zambrano. ‘He said that he’s doing better today,” Byrd said. “That’s it.” Asked about Zambrano being placed on the disqualified list, Byrd said: “That’s business. They have to do what they have to do.”

In 2007, Zambrano signed a deal adding $91.5 million over five seasons through 2012. He was to earn $17.85 million this season and $18 million in 2012. He is 9-7 with a 4.82 ERA.

Zambrano’s name was mentioned in trade rumors before the July 31 deadline. He said on July 28 he wanted to remain with the Cubs. “I do want to stay here but at the same point I want this team to make some changes,” Zambrano said. “If we want to win here, we need to make some changes. If I have to go, I have to go but I still have the Cubs in my heart.”

A message was left Saturday seeking comment from Barry Praver, Zambrano’s agent. Hendry said Praver indicated Zambrano is not retiring.

The Cubs did not immediately announce a corresponding roster move for Zambrano. The team will need a starting pitcher for Zambrano’s next scheduled turn in the rotation Wednesday at Houston.

I didn't see or hear about that, either. That's not like him. His frustrations obviously got the better of him, but there's no excuse for that. Bummed things had to go down like that and really disappointed it could be ending like this for him. He's better than that.

he is? he is an effin moran and I wouldn't want that cancerous pr1ck anywhere near my team.

he bails on his teammates, looks like most of em don't want him back either.

dude is easily one of the biggest fools in sports and needs to be on some kind of meds if he isn't already.

pathetic stuff

he is? he is an effin moran and I wouldn't want that cancerous pr1ck anywhere near my team.

dude is easily one of the biggest fools in sports and needs to be on some kind of meds if he isn't already.

pathetic stuff

:wacko:

pathetic stuff

This post is heavy on the muscle, but not far away from the truth.

Any team that has ONE player that swipes at his catcher in the dug out, and then up the cat walk blasts him big time......has Derek Lee tell him to call me sily call me rude, but call me please in the dug out another year......and then walks out on the team this year.

I understand being fans of a team, but with this guy, he does rank up there with the rest of the athlete fools.

This post is heavy on the muscle, but not far away from the truth.

Any team that has ONE player that swipes at his catcher in the dug out, and then up the cat walk blasts him big time......has Derek Lee tell him to call me sily call me rude, but call me please in the dug out another year......and then walks out on the team this year.

I understand being fans of a team, but with this guy, he does rank up there with the rest of the athlete fools.

yes