[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aggies to the SEC?

darin3

Can't believe no one has brought this up yet. What a bone-headed, knee-jerk and hasty decision by an up-and-coming program. And what a bunch of whiny hypocrites their fans are. With all due respect to my Aggie fan friends here, give me a f'in break. You talk about the Longhorn Network being an unfair advantage. OK, that has some merit. But first off, why didn't you start barking about this when it was first being discussed? Why now, after it's actually in place and ready to go? And secondly, you've had your own share of "unfair advantages" yourself. You don't think your Aggie 7-on-7 high school football tournament gives you a recruiting edge?

Talk about sour f'in grapes.

And I must giggle further at the decision with folks talking about them being a powerhouse in the SEC, and all the recruiting they'll be able to do in the Southeast now. L-O-f'ing-L. Yeah, if I'm a prized recruit from Florida or Georgia, the thing I want to do is to go to some po-dunk school in the middle of nowhere Texas instead of going to a Florida school or the like. Riiiight.

Your Aggies just went from a potential champ in the Big-12 (or whatever it becomes) to an afterthought like Ole Miss or Vanderbilt in the SEC. Best of luck. Don't let the door smack ya on your red asses on the way out.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wacko:

An apparent speed dial mishap has triggered Texas A&M University’s exit from the Big XII so that they may join the Securities and Exchange Commission.

According to sources in College Station, TX, A&M President, R. Bowen Loftin, believed he was speaking to the office of Southeastern Conference Commissioner, Mike Slive, but was instead talking to the office of Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman, Mary L. Shapiro.

While some of the conversations between the parties contained awkward moments of confusion and silence, nothing so outlandish was ever said to render the talks anything other than a normal business transaction.

Shapiro simply thought Texas A&M was going public by offering an IPO some time during the winter of 2012. Loftin thought he was sticking it to the University of Texas by joining the most powerful football conference in the United States, the Southeastern Conference.

All of this because Loftin’s smart phone had Slive’s number under “SEC” and Shapiro’s number under “S.E.C.”

Miscommunication or not, the deal is done, and the Aggies are headed to the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Big XII is most likely a dead conference walking, the Longhorns still have their own network and the Southeastern Conference will still set its sights on a sixth straight national title in football.

Slive, speaking from Southeastern Conference headquarters, said he was baffled by all of the talk about A&M coming to his conference. “It was strange,” said Slive, “because I hadn’t spoken to anyone at A&M since the last conference shuffle go-around. Anyway, I wish A&M well on their new endeavor.”

As for Shapiro, she was happy to have the Aggies aboard. “It will be quite nice,” said Shapiro, “to have the ‘Wrecking Crew’ aboard to dish out punishment when investors go afoul of transactional or compliance law with regard to publicly held company shares.”

A$M has just turned into Ol' Miss. Also seems that MIzzou is bolting to the SEC also. They really do need another bottom feeder to fill in the other division.

Yeah what the heck are THEY thinking? Pretty funny all around.

I actually "de-friended" some clown on Facebook today as a result of this deal. Not that you all give two hoots, but it's this dude my wife met at the gym (before you get any ideas, he WORKED at the gym and signed her up for a membership... and just so happened to be in "my industry", so we talked on the phone and traded emails and became FB friends). Anywhoo, this dolt is always postin' A&M crap, of course with "gig 'ems" and BTWHOLDOSA or whatever-the-hell they say. I finally had enough of this tool after this paragraph-long diatribe... UT this, UT that, gig 'em, BTWHOLAUH and A&M is going to kick azz in the SEC blah blah blah. And he said that they'd be great recruiters in the Southeast. :wacko:

A&M will be lucky to get bowl eligible every season in the SEC, and could have been perennial championship contenders in the ever-weakening Big-12. Tech sucks, UT has a long way to go, Baylor and Iowa State will always be also-rans. Only consistently good team is OU, with Okie St. looking quite promising, like A&M.

I guess I shouldn't complain. Screw A&M, we'll bring in Houston and some other scrub so it can be Texas and the Oklahoma schools battling it out every season.

And one more :tup: about A&M being able to recruit out of Texas.

:lol: GIG 'EM :rofl:

P.S. I still love you, Polky. Don't be mad.

Edited by darin3

Yeah what the heck are THEY thinking? Pretty funny all around.

I actually "de-friended" some clown on Facebook today as a result of this deal. Not that you all give two hoots, but it's this dude my wife met at the gym (before you get any ideas, he WORKED at the gym and signed her up for a membership... and just so happened to be in "my industry", so we talked on the phone and traded emails and became FB friends). Anywhoo, this dolt is always postin' A&M crap, of course with "gig 'ems" and BTWHOLDOSA or whatever-the-hell they say. I finally had enough of this tool after this paragraph-long diatribe... UT this, UT that, gig 'em, BTWHOLAUH and A&M is going to kick azz in the SEC blah blah blah. And he said that they'd be great recruiters in the Southeast. :wacko:

A&M will be lucky to get bowl eligible every season in the SEC, and could have been perennial championship contenders in the ever-weakening Big-12. Tech sucks, UT has a long way to go, Baylor and Iowa State will always be also-rans. Only consistently good team is OU, with Okie St. looking quite promising, like A&M.

I guess I shouldn't complain. Screw A&M, we'll bring in Houston and some other scrub so it can be Texas and the Oklahoma schools battling it out every season.

And one more :tup: about A&M being able to recruit out of Texas.

:lol: GIG 'EM :rofl:

P.S. I still love you, Polky. Don't be mad.

let me get this straight, as an Austin transplant who didn't even go to Texas, you de-friended a diehard Texas A&M blowhard on FB, bc he's talking up A&M and ripping UT?? cmon man that is pretty weak stuff

let me get this straight, as an Austin transplant who didn't even go to Texas, you de-friended a diehard Texas A&M blowhard on FB, bc he's talking up A&M and ripping UT?? cmon man that is pretty weak stuff

First of all, I've been a UT fan for almost 20 years. So it's not like I just moved here and became a Longhorn fan by default or osmosis. :wacko:

Next, the toolbag posts on a daily basis something that either contains "gig 'em", BTHLOFOADAD or whatever the deal is, or both.

And perhaps I should have been more complete in my complaint. Not only does he post that kind of blather, but the clown thinks that Rick Perry would be a terrific POTUSA and posts regularly about it.

I almost cut him a few days ago based purely on the political diarrhea of the mouth, but blowin' up my FB "News Feed" with mis-informed and hypocritical BS about UT was the last straw.

Are you straight now?

First of all, I've been a UT fan for almost 20 years. So it's not like I just moved here and became a Longhorn fan by default or osmosis. :wacko:

Next, the toolbag posts on a daily basis something that either contains "gig 'em", BTHLOFOADAD or whatever the deal is, or both.

And perhaps I should have been more complete in my complaint. Not only does he post that kind of blather, but the clown thinks that Rick Perry would be a terrific POTUSA and posts regularly about it.

I almost cut him a few days ago based purely on the political diarrhea of the mouth, but blowin' up my FB "News Feed" with mis-informed and hypocritical BS about UT was the last straw.

Are you straight now?

Bullchit. You became a fan right here in front of all of our eyes the year they won the NC against SC, and that was more out of default because you said at the time you couldnt stand SC, living there. That wasnt anywhere close to 20 years ago.

I hate A@M too, and think its funny as hell they told thanks, but no thanks., But that doesnt mean I have to say I have been a Sooner fan for 55 years, when I am 39 years old. We get the picture without exaggerating the truth by oh 14-15 years.

I think we are straight now. :tup:

Edited by Brent

Bullchit. You became a fan right here in front of all of our eyes the year they won the NC against SC, and that was more out of default because you said at the time you couldnt stand SC, living there. That wasnt anywhere close to 20 years ago.

:wacko:17 years

A@M has been jealous of Texas for decades. They call UT, TU. because they don't agree with Texas naming themselves the University of Texas. Instead Aggies call them Texas University.

The Longhorn network is a great thing for UT, and A@M cant get anywhere close to the dollars Texas got, so they want to distance themselves as much as possible from UT. But this has turned into an embarrassment for A@M. They voted to join the SEC, before being invited by the SEC. So now they will probably look to join another conference. If Im Texas, I tell A@M guess what we wont play you ever again. And by not playing Texas, A@M and their fans lose their biggest rival on the schedule every year, as well as recruiting in the state. Because A@M is likely only going to be televised regionally in that area of the state, as most networks in Texas will televise UT and other schools in the conference here in Texas. Plus it isnt likely A@M is going to be on CBS much, when they would rather televise better games like Fla vs Tenn, LSU vs Bama, or GA vs Auburn. A@M isnt likely going to be a huge draw in any of those southern states either, as they have no tradition in that conference. So it was a lose lose for A@M to begin with. But now they have the embarassment of being told thanks but no thanks, by the SEC.

I hate A@M too, and think its funny as hell they told thanks, but no thanks., But that doesnt mean I have to say I have been a Sooner fan for 55 years, when I am 39 years old. We get the picture without exaggerating the truth by oh 14-15 years.

I think we are straight now. :tup:

Whatever clown. I thought you bowed out of this forum. Or was that your alter ego #4?

If you must know (and I have a feeling I've posted this here before)... I went to a college with no football team. I latched on to the Longhorns in '95 and visited Austin in '96 (I had my "SWC Champs" t-shirt up until a few years ago) with hopes of going to grad school here.

So, maybe not 20 years. 16. Sorry.

Just because I didn't come in here and argue with your silly ass doesn't mean I wasn't a fan of the team. Troll elsewhere, "Brent".

Im sorry, but that doesnt sound anything like a fan to me. In the summer of my junior year in High school, 1989, I went to Tallahasee for a visit to Fla St, and was very impressed with the school. And I rooted for them against the likes of Miami, Fla, etc... But by no means was I a fan of them, and I certainly rooted against them in 2000 when OU played them in the NC. There is a big difference between rooting for someone, and a fan of a team. And I remember Darins allegiance growing during the 2005 season, and there is nothing wrong with that. But because you visited a school doesnt make you a fan, and neither does buying a clearanced t-shirt. Heck I bought a Fla St hat when I was there, just as a momento of the visit. which sounds more like what Darin did.

Im not going to get into a pissn match over it, it isnt that important. But his post you listed was in 2009, after he became a fan right before our eyes in 2005.

Whatever clown. I thought you bowed out of this forum. Or was that your alter ego #4?

:tup:

If you must know (and I have a feeling I've posted this here before)... I went to a college with no football team. I latched on to the Longhorns in '95 and visited Austin in '96 (I had my "SWC Champs" t-shirt up until a few years ago) with hopes of going to grad school here.

So, maybe not 20 years. 16. Sorry.

Just because I didn't come in here and argue with your silly ass doesn't mean I wasn't a fan of the team. Troll elsewhere, "Brent".

WOW, sounds like I hit a nerve, you clearly got defensive about this for a reason. While we are discussing your so called roots of being a true fan,

Didn't you also become a fan of the Mavericks in 2006 when they went to the Championship. And arent you a fan of the Chicago teams as well. Seems you are a fan of teams all over the country, or whoever is winning at the time. :wacko: Either way you got caught exaggerating the truth, as you seem to do here. And not by 4 years you now claim. Do you not think we remember your posts, and how your loyalty seemed to get stronger as you knew you were moving to Austin, and it just so happened they were playing USC for the title around the same time. Guess those details you posted seem to slip your mind now, and you expect us all to forget them as you seem to have.

WOW, sounds like I hit a nerve, you clearly got defensive about this for a reason. While we are discussing your so called roots of being a true fan,

Didn't you also become a fan of the Mavericks in 2006 when they went to the Championship. And arent you a fan of the Chicago teams as well. Seems you are a fan of teams all over the country, or whoever is winning at the time. :wacko: Either way you got caught exaggerating the truth, as you seem to do here. And not by 4 years you now claim. Do you not think we remember your posts, and how your loyalty seemed to get stronger as you knew you were moving to Austin, and it just so happened they were playing USC for the title around the same time. Guess those details you posted seem to slip your mind now, and you expect us all to forget them as you seem to have.

First of all, the bolded is a question, so it needs a question mark. Any third grader would realize that.

And I'm not sure why you STILL have such a boner for me. I'm not sure whether I should feel flattered or feel sorry for you.

And I'll ask you again (and notice my use of the question mark): didn't you "leave this forum for good"?

I have better things to do than waste my time playing your silly little games. Maybe you wanna look my phone number up again and call me to talk schit? I have nothing to prove to you, and it's pretty pathetic that you still have to try pushing my buttons. I'll do both of us a favor and will simply ignore you once again.

First of all, the bolded is a question, so it needs a question mark. Any third grader would realize that.

And I'm not sure why you STILL have such a boner for me. I'm not sure whether I should feel flattered or feel sorry for you.

And I'll ask you again (and notice my use of the question mark): didn't you "leave this forum for good"?

I have better things to do than waste my time playing your silly little games. Maybe you wanna look my phone number up again and call me to talk schit? I have nothing to prove to you, and it's pretty pathetic that you still have to try pushing my buttons. I'll do both of us a favor and will simply ignore you once again.

Whats pathetic is you have to lie to make a point, as if being a fan 6 or 7 years isnt long enough, you have to say 20 years.

And dont flatter yourself son. Maybe if you didnt stretch the truth, you wouldnt have to get so defensive when someone called you out on it.

I find it amusing you say you have better things to do than waste your time, after you spent time doing just that. If you really had better things to do, you would have never replied in the first place. Is someone calling BS to one of your boasts really worth getting so defensive you have to call me a clown, troll, a 3rd grader, asking me to look up your number, and saying you were not going to waste your time responding, after you already responded not once but twice? Guess now I dont have to worry about you responding to me calling BS in the future when you stretch the truth again. You know since you are going to ignore me and all. :wacko:

And isn't asking a question twice you already know the answer to, also something a 3rd grader would know? :lol:

Edited by Brent

Somehow I missed this.

For once we may agree on something. :tup:

Part of me is surprised but part of me isn't. I think there is a feeling among a lot of Big12 schools that UT is eventually going to go independent. It may be a ways down the road but there does seem to be some writing on the wall. Dan Beebe has shown that UT is bigger than the conference and I think UT is going to do whatever is best for them $$ wise. The longhorn network is probably what kept them out of the Pac12/16.

I find it strange that aTm really has gotten the $$ that they have already been awarded. I figured they'd be happy as a pig in chit that they got bought off with the new Big12 rules (where they are guaranteed 20mil per year). Because under the old system where the better programs made more money, there was zero chance that they would make that kind of money. Possible for a very good year but regularly? I highly doubt it. aTm has a lot of tradition but I wouldn't say their football team has been much of a powerhouse. They'd occasionally knock someone off, but on the whole they lose about as much as they win.

Where this might work out is that the SEC should be able to command the largest amount of contract money. Yet they currently aren't and they are locked into a deal for several years UNLESS they expand the conference. So the SEC might be able to bring in another team and aTm might fit the bill. They aren't really a power house so they won't upset the big dogs. The SEC might get a better foothold into fertile Texas recruiting grounds (and TV sets for the SEC tv deal). The SEC could add an Eastern team (maybe Florida State) and have an even conference split while renegotiating the rights to their TV package for big bucks.

So on one hand this may seem hair-brained, but I think that aTm might think that they are better off finding a seat while the music is still playing instead of waiting down the road. For example say this scenario unfolded a few years down the road. IF Texas went independent and got some NBC contract like Notre Dame. The Big12 may not exist anymore (or there just might not be much money in it). Wouldn't the SEC rather take Oklahoma than aTm? If the SEC grabbed Okie and an eastern team like Florida State, where would that leave aTm? People would look back and say those knucklheads should've jumped ship when they had the chance.

Just my .2cents.

Good post, Square. You're right on many points. First, the Longhorn Network was definitely a major "nuh-uh" for them joining the Pac-10/12/16. That said, I think UT going independent is a longshot. As long as they and OU can run the Big-12, they're staying put. Now, if OU bolts for the Pac-Superconference, then yeah, maybe.

I'm not sure what all the A&M whiners are so up in arms about. They have a very, very sweet deal, as you've outlined. I think they'd be kickin' themselves if they ever left. Is it really that important to "prove a point"? (Whatever it may be)

I seriously doubt the SEC would take Florida State. At least that's what a few pundits are claiming. The SEC would want to add big markets. Florida St. just doesn't represent one.

That all said, things are a-changin' and I think this is the tip of the iceberg.

Are you straight now?

no worries, I hear ya, just living in Phx, land of transplants and bandwagon hoppers for the most part just annoy me the chit out of me- I will just never understand how someone who grew up in a certain area can have their "favorite" team spread out all over the country, I don't roll like that.

I mean, as a kid I loved all the great Cetlics, Bulls teams, I loved Walter Payton, Marino, etc - but I WILL never ba a superfan of some team in a region I don't live and have no connection to over my hometown teams or schools......

just sayin

no worries, I hear ya, just living in Phx, land of transplants and bandwagon hoppers for the most part just annoy me the chit out of me- I will just never understand how someone who grew up in a certain area can have their "favorite" team spread out all over the country, I don't roll like that.

I mean, as a kid I loved all the great Cetlics, Bulls teams, I loved Walter Payton, Marino, etc - but I WILL never ba a superfan of some team in a region I don't live and have no connection to over my hometown teams or schools......

just sayin

:wacko: It's pretty simple. My pops and I shared sports as a passion growing up. He's from Chicago, born and bred. I've been a Bear, Cub and Bull fan since I can remember. And I've explained the UT thing now several times. Would things be different had I been accepted to and attended UCLA? I'm pretty sure it would be. I had no college football team to root for. When I started looking at grad schools, it just happened.

Quite frankly, I could give a rat's ass how you "roll", or what others think. :tup: