[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aggies to the SEC?

darin3

:wacko: Way to try and qualify this: 75-37-5. Hey you've won 3 of the last 5. Good for you. You've also won 3 of the last nine or ten...

How do you qualify Yale winning more national championships than tu?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baylor has every right under the terms of the Big 12 to protest...the future of the conference must be determined, now, and the BCS way is becoming 'old hat' and must be re-defined.

I really wish the big Texas Colleges would stay and really do not understand why A&M, who just won a women's national title in Hoops, would want to move out of the Big 12. We have so many rivalries (as you can clearly see in the previous posts, here) within the conference, now. Fan bases travel well. Merchandaise sells well. What is the point of moving? Can't we keep the state of Texas united in this regard?

Baylor has every right under the terms of the Big 12 to protest...the future of the conference must be determined, now, and the BCS way is becoming 'old hat' and must be re-defined.

I really wish the big Texas Colleges would stay and really do not understand why A&M, who just won a women's national title in Hoops, would want to move out of the Big 12. We have so many rivalries (as you can clearly see in the previous posts, here) within the conference, now. Fan bases travel well. Merchandaise sells well. What is the point of moving? Can't we keep the state of Texas united in this regard?

Why? Because the Big 12 is being blown away by every other major conference. While the Big Ten and SEC were way ahead of the curve on their tv deals, the Big 12 was lagging behind. There solution? Pander to the Longhorns and piss off every other school in the conference. Starting with Nebraska, then Colorado. While other conferences split the revenue equally between the teams, Texas and Oklahoma get the lions share (and less of it compared to top revenue generating teams from other conferences) It's all about money, as is everything else. There is probably going to be four 16 team super conferences and then all the rest in the next 5-10 years, and the Big 12 will not be one of them. That's just reality.

Nobody raised a stink when Nebraska and Colorado left last year ... if those teams were "allowed" to leave the Big 12 then any team should be allowed to leave the conference.

A&M wants out because the Big 12 granted a special boon to Texas that elevates that team above all others in the conference giving them an unfair advantage. The Big 12 did that last year because they felt if they didn't Texas would have left the Big 12. It was a short sighted decision because it didn't account for or care about the impact to the other teams in the conference. So the Big 12 got what they wanted - Texas stayed. But now they have to deal with the consequences of their decision to pay Texas off to stay in the Big 12 last year.

Plain and simple A&M is leaving (or trying to leave) the Big 12 because they will make more money in the SEC AND they will have more recruiting opportunities (i.e. they will be able to recruit kids from Texas as the only SEC school in Texas).

Nobody raised a stink when Nebraska and Colorado left last year ... if those teams were "allowed" to leave the Big 12 then any team should be allowed to leave the conference.

A&M wants out because the Big 12 granted a special boon to Texas that elevates that team above all others in the conference giving them an unfair advantage. The Big 12 did that last year because they felt if they didn't Texas would have left the Big 12. It was a short sighted decision because it didn't account for or care about the impact to the other teams in the conference. So the Big 12 got what they wanted - Texas stayed. But now they have to deal with the consequences of their decision to pay Texas off to stay in the Big 12 last year.

Plain and simple A&M is leaving (or trying to leave) the Big 12 because they will make more money in the SEC AND they will have more recruiting opportunities (i.e. they will be able to recruit kids from Texas as the only SEC school in Texas).

Any school is allowed to sell rights to tier three games. It's not UT's fault that ESPN vastly over paid.

And this is Baylor's last stand. I see nothing wrong with them doing everything they can to keep a conference together. They didn't pay off Texas like you say. Aggie got the same payout that OU and UT got. Texas just got ESPN to pay more for tier three games.

Any school is allowed to sell rights to tier three games. It's not UT's fault that ESPN vastly over paid.

And this is Baylor's last stand. I see nothing wrong with them doing everything they can to keep a conference together. They didn't pay off Texas like you say. Aggie got the same payout that OU and UT got. Texas just got ESPN to pay more for tier three games.

The Big 12 paid off Texas by allowing them to have an exclusive network and all the additional exposure/revenue. The network is a 24/7 all Longhorn network. This is not an ESPN issue.

Where the ESPN contract comes into play is that the SEC will get more ESPN money (and subsequently so will A&M) AND ESPN may try to reduce the Big 12 money with the departure of A&M.

Baylor wouldn't really care if A&M left the Big 12 as long as they had assurance that the Big 12 wouldn't break apart and as a result Baylor would end up in a lesser conference making less money. Once again, I say if they didn't raise a stink when the previous 2 teams left the conference just last year they have no right to raise a stink now - precedent has been set.

Why? Because the Big 12 is being blown away by every other major conference.

Hoops fan here and I am puzzled...Baylor and Texas A&M are both NATIONAL CHAMPS in women's BBall. I don't think that is blown away. The Big 12 gets as many Invites to the 64 than any conference.

The Big 12 is a Basketball POWERHOUSE for both men and women. Big 12 baseball teams are always ultra competitive. In football, Big 12 fans travel as much as any fans. Their stadiums sell out and the rivalries are grand. There is as much money generated in the Big 12 as in any other conference. Every year, someone, usually OU, is preseason and final top 5 in football, and we usually have multiple top ten ranked teams. When you say blown away, I really have no idea what in the world you are talking about.

In football, The Big Ten or PAC 12 couldn't even shine Oklahoma State;s shoes, let alone Texas' or OU's. With all sports combined, I do not see your logic at all.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Hoops fan here and I am puzzled...Baylor and Texas A&M are both NATIONAL CHAMPS in women's BBall. I don't think that is blown away. The Big 12 gets as many Invites to the 64 than any conference.

The Big 12 is a Basketball POWERHOUSE for both men and women. Big 12 baseball teams are always ultra competitive. In football, Big 12 fans travel as much as any fans. Their stadiums sell out and the rivalries are grand. There is as much money generated in the Big 12 as in any other conference. Every year, someone, usually OU, is preseason and final top 5 in football, and we usually have multiple top ten ranked teams. When you say blown away, I really have no idea what in the world you are talking about.

In football, The Big Ten or PAC 12 couldn't even shine Oklahoma State;s shoes, let alone Texas' or OU's. With all sports combined, I do not see your logic at all.

The answer to your question is the next line of his statement. He was not referring to individual teams but the deals the conferences have worked out and the fact that the Pac12 and B10 are proactively grabbing teams and the Big12 is dissolving.

Oh, and no one cares about womens bball. Sorry if its sexist, just look in the stands.

Oh, and saying no one in the B10 or Pac12 could shine OSU's shoes is comical. You're a regular Jerry Seinfeld.

The answer to your question is the next line of his statement. He was not referring to individual teams but the deals the conferences have worked out and the fact that the Pac12 and B10 are proactively grabbing teams and the Big12 is dissolving.

Oh, and no one cares about womens bball. Sorry if its sexist, just look in the stands.

Oh, and saying no one in the B10 or Pac12 could shine OSU's shoes is comical. You're a regular Jerry Seinfeld.

I was hoping that would get a rise out of someone, LoL. But seriously, OSU has a really good football team this year, just to show that the Big 12 has depth in the rankings. I just wish all the Texas schools could stay in the same conference.

I was hoping that would get a rise out of someone, LoL. But seriously, OSU has a really good football team this year, just to show that the Big 12 has depth in the rankings. I just wish all the Texas schools could stay in the same conference.

The best team from TX (over the past few years) is already heading to the Big East.

I'm not sure what you're talking about...

I wasn't talking about what happens on the field, I'm talking about the Big 12 as being economically viable compared to the Big Ten, SEC, and Pac 12. It isn't. They've been left in the dust, and it didn't happen overnight. This has been happening for a very long time, you just see it now because those 3 other conferences are now starting to expand.

edit to add: At the expense of the Big 12. Nebraska gone. Colorado gone. A & M, foregone conclusion, gone. Oklahoma will be gone. Texas likely will follow suit, and where they go Tech is likely to follow. Baylor fans, students, alumni, do have a right to be worried. They will likely be on the outside looking in. Mountain West maybe? Who knows. Bottom line is the Big 12 (now 10 and dropping) will cease to exist very soon.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

And now Mizzou claims they are 100% on board with the Big-12 moving forward. They know what's good for them. They'd be eaten alive in the SEC. Or heck, in any other conference worth a crap.

As a MIZZOU fan, this is why I like them better in the Big East. Sure the SEC has more Secks appeal, but they could be a top tier team in the big east.

I have no desire for MIZZOU to go west. I won't like watching basketball games that start at 9:30 at night Central Time.