[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jim Thome

SLAYER

Hell yeah, dude is "country strong". Pretty much the closest thing to The Babe we have nowadays. Now now, don't take that the wrong way... just sayin'...

Hit it off Mark Schlereth's kid... I was listening to the Brian Kenny Show (love that guy's radio show) and they broke into the Twins' broadcast and wouldn't ya know it, he goes yard.

Good for him. Those years as a White Sux didn't tarnish my view of what kind of player he was/is.

:wacko:

If anybody deserves to be in the 600 club - he does. What a class act...

Kudos to the Tigers fans - 36,000 fans gave him a standing ovation.

+1 on both counts.

ETA: And this site has him listed already, barely an hour later.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

awesome stuff, and amazing how underappreciated this is - I mean this is as big as a feat as we have seen in along time and dwarfs Jeter getting 3k hits IMO

dude is one of 5 in the 600+ club not associated with roids or HGH. Truly awesome achievement, and for him to do this clean (as far as we know) in the roids era is even more impressive

great story

............ :wacko:................................ :tup: .............................. :lol:

........:rofl:...............................:rofl:...... :bow: ............... :yay: ..... :brew:

.... :brew: ..... :brew: ...................:pc: ......... ;) ............ :yay: ..... :bag:

........:doh: .. :bow: ...........................:link: ............................. :link:

..............:link:

Thome is just a great guy from everything I have read about him. But I think its a shame when a player sticks around 3-4 extra years just for numbers. 20 years total now. Thought the same thing for Emmitt when he did it.

Thome hasnt been relevant for half a decade, but he is still here sitting on someones bench to pinch hit so he can get to 600 HRs. The guy doesnt need the money, and one would think he would rather watch his kids grow up, than continue to chase numbers while pinch hitting.

Edited by Brent

Thome is just a great guy from everything I have read about him. But I think its a shame when a player sticks around 3-4 extra years just for numbers. 20 years total now. Thought the same thing for Emmitt when he did it.

Thome hasnt been relevant for half a decade, but he is still here sitting on someones bench to pinch hit so he can get to 600 HRs. The guy doesnt need the money, and one would think he would rather watch his kids grow up, than continue to chase numbers while pinch hitting.

He helped provide the Twins with a playoff berth in 2010, so to say he's not relevant is nonsense. He isn't relevant in fantasy baseball but he most definitely is in real baseball.

He also has achieved the feat in less ABs than any player except the Babe himself, so by that measure he hasn't "stuck around" as long as all the others save one.

The dude can still rake and is certainly still a viable DH. .359 OBP for a power hitter is pretty damn good. Had over 1.000 OPS last year.

He has the second fewest ABs to reach 600 HRs. I just don't see him as a guy who has hung around too long.

In Baseball unlike football, the veteran guys like Thome are so valuable in the way they teach the younger guys the game. Thome has been a leader for the Twins the past 2 years with some Monster at bats for them last year in the stretch run. When he hit a game winning HR off the top of the American Flag pole in RF that would have landed out in the streets somewhere... that put us over the top to win the division. He has been that "last bullet in the gun" for the twins if he wasn't the DH in that you always had to guess when he was coming up. Congrats JT!

Man has he been a Tiger killer forever...I haven't looked it up but wouldn't be surprised if he's hit more homers against us than any team. I was out of town so didn't get to watch the game. I'm glad the fans gave him the treatment he deserves.

Man has he been a Tiger killer forever...I haven't looked it up but wouldn't be surprised if he's hit more homers against us than any team. I was out of town so didn't get to watch the game. I'm glad the fans gave him the treatment he deserves.

57 HRs against the Tiggers, I believe. Pretty much the same as against the Twins.

Thome is on the waiver wire (last chance for a ring)....Philly, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Boston, Texas. I think an AL team would be better for him cause he could DH. In Philly, he might have a better chance to win a ring, but I don't think he will fall that far.

Thome is on the waiver wire (last chance for a ring)....Philly, Chicago, Detroit, New York, Boston, Texas. I think an AL team would be better for him cause he could DH. In Philly, he might have a better chance to win a ring, but I don't think he will fall that far.

would be nice for Philly to add as a bat off the bench for the rest of the season and then if they make the WS he could be valuable as a DH in the AL park

Hafner on the DL makes Thome a pretty obvious choice for a return to Cleveland.