[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SOFA IDP Experts League

keggerz

2011 SOFA IDP Draft Link

There is a SOFA thread in the main forum but figured the IDP draft should have its very own thread in the IDP Forum.

For those that don't know SOFA stands for Site Owners Fantasy Association....Darin and I take turn drafting in the IDP draft and this year is my turn.

I will update this thread with my team as I draft it and when I can I will try to give the rational behind my picks...if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask

Some league info:

Starting requirements: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 2DL, 3LB, 3DB(we expanded by adding an extra DB this year)

Scoring:

Pass TDs 4pts, All other TDs 6pts, 0.04pts/Passing Yards, 0.1/yard rush/recv, 1.0 PPR, 2pts for any part in 2pt conv., FGs 3pts

Solo Tackle 2pts, Assist 1pt, Sack 3pts (up from2pts in previous years), forced or recovered fumble (3), interception (3) and pass defended (1), safeties 3pts, Defensive TDs 6pts,

Huddle Team:

1.4 Jamaal Charles

2.9 Vincent Jackson

3.4 Mike Wallace

4.9 Mark Ingram

5.4 Peyton Manning

6.9 Jared Allen

7.4 Trent Cole

8.9 AJ Green

9.4 B. Jacobs

10.9 Ruud, Barrett

11.04 Bishop, Desmond

12.09 Ryans, DeMeco

13.04 Barnett, Nick

Edited by keggerz

this will be an interesting draft to follow as scoring etc is similar to a redraft idp league I commish and draft in.

thanks

fwiw, the scoring is the same system we utilize for the rankings and our articles too

Tried to send you this in PM, but couldnt

Cant ignore what Djax did in 2009, and he could be just as explosive as Wallace IMO.

Hopefully someone values Rivers, Brees and M Turner more, and you can get one of those WR.

Other players I absolutely love later in the draft i are Mario Manningham and Santana Moss. Both will likely be around in rounds 6 and 7 or later, and both should outperform their draft position.

Edited by Brent

Tried to send you this in PM, but couldnt

Cant ignore what Djax did in 2009, and he could be just as explosive as Wallace IMO.

Hopefully someone values Rivers, Brees and M Turner more, and you can get one of those WR.

Other players I absolutely love later in the draft i are Mario Manningham and Santana Moss. Both will likely be around in rounds 6 and 7 or later, and both should outperform their draft position.

I was ready to add DJax into the que but he was a distant 4th...as I was waiting I had my preselects as Wayne (love his schedule and he is safe and solid with upside)..then Wallace followed by Jennings....I got lucky that 2 QBs and Bowe went in front of me....very happy with Wallace.

I was ready to add DJax into the que but he was a distant 4th...as I was waiting I had my preselects as Wayne (love his schedule and he is safe and solid with upside)..then Wallace followed by Jennings....I got lucky that 2 QBs and Bowe went in front of me....very happy with Wallace.

excellent :wacko:

I had a trade lined up and accepted and then found out we can't trade...I was moving up to take DJax or Dez(couldn't make up my mind)...the trade up was to 4.4 and my pick was 4.9....Djax went at 4.4 and Dez at 4.5....I was hoping plan B would make it to me and he did...snagged Mark Ingram at 4.9...had a couple of other RBs I was looking at (one being Felix) but in the end I just have a good feeling about Ingram...hope I am right...Hopefully I can make pick 5.4 in the AM.

Id have done the same thing with Ingram. Alot of WR here that are about the same. On the turn you can go in several directions. QB, TE, WR, or Mayo.

Personally I go Witten if he is still on the board. But Maclin is also an option now that he is cleared to play. And I obviously love Manningham and Romo as well.

Picking again in 6 spots, you will have your choice between those 4 above, Mayo who just looks lights out again, or Willis if you think he rebounds. Either way, you should net another stud at 5.4

Edited by Brent

keggerz - also picking 1.04 in a 1.0 PPR league

sell me on Charles over McCoy, i like em both just curious on your take

I like them both too and think they are pretty close in value...difference for me was basically two things...

1. Charles is the man in KC vs McCoy being one of many options in Philly. Plus Charles won't be losing TD opps to his QB inside the 10 yard line...some may point to TJones but I see him having a lesser involvement this year

2. When I have two players rated very close if one is a homer I actually tend to not draft the homer...I am an Eagles fan

Hope that helps some...also, I can see Charles blowing up and being the top RB in football..not sure it will happen but wouldn't be surprised....can't see that with McCoy...but I think the floor is low for each and Charles just has a slightly higher ceiling.

Pick 5.4 Peyton Manning...I think this is a great value because at my next pick 6.4 I think we would clearly be into the 2nd/3rd tier of QBs and at that point I would have just waited until round 8, 9 or even 10 to take one....had a fair amount of RBs and WRs left that I like that I think I can get later so Manning seemed like a no brainer...Romo would have been a good pick too but with them being so close in value and me not liking the Cowboys it was easy to take Peyton...some might be worried about his neck but reading between the lines I see him being just fine...if he wasn't the Colts would have signed a vet and not have Curtis Painter as the primary backup if something was wrong with Peyton....

What I really want to point out here is how you need to keep an eye on the teams that are drafting between your picks....I initially had Peyton and Romo predrafted for 4.9 while I was OTC and then checked and there were really only two teams that could snipe me on a QB...the team that was OTC in front of me and the team picking after (he picked twice between my picks) If the team at 4.8 took Manning or Romo I probably would have taken the other after them but when they passed there was only one team without a QB picking before my 5.4 pick...so when 4.8 passed on QB I knew that I could grab my top rated RB and would in turn get one of my 2 QBs I coveted....had I not been paying attention I could have ended up with Manning and then lost out on Ingram.

Edited by keggerz

last year you guys drafted 2 top flight DE at the cost of a stud LB in the middle rounds. In a recent auction I went for 2 top DE to give myself a unique advantage. My question is how do you feel about this year's DE? It seems to me the removal of Mario Williams makes it even more difficult to land a consistent performer. Will that play into your strat this year?

Elvis Dumervil is a player that can usually be had 3 rounds after the true studs and he should put up similar production.

Tuck is the premier DL in this scoring with his high tackle numbers. But after him, there is a cluster of about 20 DL that score within 2 pts a week from each other.

Calais Campbell is my pick to bust through even further like Charles Johnson did a year ago.

So I wouldnt have taken a DL this early. In fact Mayo is the 1st D player I would consider, especially in this scoring.

Im not saying I would neglect a top DL in a round or 2 if one of the better ones were there. But I wouldnt take one in lieu of Mayo or Willis that is for sure.

Manning was a solid choice there no doubt. I just think Id have probably taken Witten instead. With no true #3 WR on the roster, and Dez not playing a full season yet, Witten is pretty valuable IMO.

Nice draft thus far for sure. That is going to be a salty team no doubt.

Manning near the end of the 5th is an absolute steal. You're right, keg, if the Colts were worried about his neck, they would have made a move for a vet to come in and "compete with Painter for the backup spot".

What, Manning's usually one of the first few QBs taken, so typically a 2nd or 3rd rounder? 2 rounds later, just because of the perceived injury risk, could turn out to be a game-changer.

Team's looking incredibly solid thus far; excellent job! :wacko:

First off, thanks guys....

FWIW, I was considering Witten and if Romo or Manning not been available then he would have been my pick but I just think that those two QBs there in the 5th round (they went back to back) was fantastic value....I am sure that Witten will be off the board for my next pick but if not I will have no choice but to nab him...but I am not expecting him to be available so I do have another plan

last year you guys drafted 2 top flight DE at the cost of a stud LB in the middle rounds. In a recent auction I went for 2 top DE to give myself a unique advantage. My question is how do you feel about this year's DE? It seems to me the removal of Mario Williams makes it even more difficult to land a consistent performer. Will that play into your strat this year?

Last year I really felt strongly about going DE DE to land two of the top 5 studs and I ended up being able to sell Darin on it....in the end it didn't work because Mario Williams got injured and just wasn't himself all year long....I would have replied earlier to your post but call me crazy but I didn't really want to state what I was going to do before I did it....so for what it is worth, yes I still think taking 2 stud DEs prior to hitting the top LBs is the way to go...LB is much much deeper with nice LBs....but the DE position truly has like 5-6 top notch guys that you can just plug and play....my strategy coming in was to hit the DEs in rounds 6 & 7 just like i did....I would have rather liked to hit rounds 7/8 but with my position at 1.4 and looking at previous drafts I felt I would have to go in rounds 6/7 to get two of my top 5 DEs (far less picks between those two rounds for me)...my 1st target was TUCK....wasn't very happy when he went off the board at 6.5...That made me a bit worried that a run could start and I wouldn't get 2 of the 5...but at 6.9 (fate to take #69 at 6.9 as the 69th overall selection?) I took Jared Allen....I actually keep going back and forth between Cole and Allen as my #2 DE so when no other DEs went after I got Allen I was very happy to land Cole also

Elvis Dumervil is a player that can usually be had 3 rounds after the true studs and he should put up similar production.

Tuck is the premier DL in this scoring with his high tackle numbers. But after him, there is a cluster of about 20 DL that score within 2 pts a week from each other.

Calais Campbell is my pick to bust through even further like Charles Johnson did a year ago.

So I wouldnt have taken a DL this early. In fact Mayo is the 1st D player I would consider, especially in this scoring.

Im not saying I would neglect a top DL in a round or 2 if one of the better ones were there. But I wouldnt take one in lieu of Mayo or Willis that is for sure.

Mayo and Willis were both off the board but while it seems crazy I still would have passed on them but I sure can see why someone would drafft either of those guys early too.

• 2 weeks later...

Will add some commentary to this later...

1.04 4 Charles, Jamaal KCC RB

2.09 21 Jackson, Vincent SDC WR

3.04 28 Wallace, Mike PIT WR

4.09 45 Ingram, Mark NOS RB

5.04 52 Manning, Peyton IND QB

6.09 69 Allen, Jared MIN DE

7.04 76 Cole, Trent PHI DE

8.09 93 Green, A.J. CIN WR

9.04 100 Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB

10.09 117 Ruud, Barrett TEN LB

11.04 124 Bishop, Desmond GBP LB

12.09 141 Ryans, DeMeco HOU LB

13.04 148 Barnett, Nick BUF LB

14.09 165 Sproles, Darren NOS RB

15.04 172 Meachem, Robert NOS WR

16.09 189 McNabb, Donovan MIN QB

17.04 196 Crabtree, Michael SFO WR

18.09 213 Jennings, Rashad JAC RB

19.04 220 Chancellor, Kam SEA S

20.09 237 Phillips, Kenny NYG S

21.04 244 Hernandez, Aaron NEP TE

22.09 261 Houston, Lamarr OAK DE

23.04 268 Winfield, Antoine MIN CB

24.09 285 Finnegan, Cortland TEN CB

25.04 292 Weatherspoon, Sean ATL LB

26.09 309. Hill, Jason JAC WR

27.04 316. Bryant, Matt ATL PK

28.09 333. Henne, Chad MIA QB

Edited by keggerz

• 1 month later...

This draft took forever and I never did get to update any info on it....I will say that I can't believe that I am 4-0 and the still the highest scoring team in the league thru 3 weeks.

Lost Charles

Ingram has been a flop for most part.

Lost Peyton

McNabb was my main backup as I just missed out on Cutler and Kolb

Didn't take my 1st TE until round 21 and then Hernandez goes and gets hurt...lucky I got Fred Davis off WW after week 1

Trent Cole is now injured

I am very alarmed and think this team could go from 4-0 to 5-8 very easily...here is to hoping that the smoke and mirrors continues to work.

• 2 weeks later...

smoke and mirrors lasted another week but this week I had to make a difficult decision.

I had Grossman, McNabb and Matt Moore rostered at QB...absolutely love some of Moore's matchups later this year

At TE I am sitting on Aaron Hernandez, Fred Davis and Gresham

My conundrum is that Antoine Winfield looks like he will be out again this week and the only player on my D that I could even think about dropping is DeMeco Ryans and I can't bring myself to do that because I do think we will see the old Ryans sooner or later and I don't want someone else to swipe him off the WW...so to add a DB I had to decide between cutting McNabb and a TE....I ended up cutting McNabb loose, just couldn't bring myself to cut one of those TEs.

For those interested this is my current roster:

Grossman, Rex WAS QB 63.86 5 FA

Moore, Matt MIA QB 6.58 5 FA

Battle, Jackie KCC RB 21.90 6 FA

Ingram, Mark NOS RB 41.30 11 4.09

Jacobs, Brandon NYG RB (O) 41.50 7 9.04

Sproles, Darren NOS RB 93.90 11 14.09

Crabtree, Michael SFO WR (P) 24.20 7 17.04

Green, A.J. CIN WR 82.80 7 8.09

Jackson, Vincent SDC WR (P) 81.90 6 2.09

Meachem, Robert NOS WR 63.50 11 15.04

Wallace, Mike PIT WR 103.40 11 3.04