[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Prime age for stud DEF players

I'll be playin in my first IDP league this year, and I was wondering a few things about the defensive guys. I'm wondering if there are specific age ranges where defensive players are more productive during their years. On the offensive side of the ball RBs can come into the league and be productive right away, but are usually at the end of the fantasy career by age 29. Likewise we all know of the 3rd year WR guideline, and WRs can be productive fantasywise all the way into the lower 30's. QBs usually start picking up steam in their late 20's and usually the big studs are in their early 30's when preforming at a high level.

My question for you IDPers out there is if there are any guidelines for certian defensive postions that are similar to the offensive ones that I should know about when evaluating the defensive players?

DE's seem to compare best to WRs....a rare few come right in and make a huge impact (Tuck as an example)

LBs can come right in and make a big impact and they can also have some longevity (Ray Lewis, London Fletcher)

CBs can also come in and make an impact right off the bat fantasy wise but that is usually because they are getting "picked" on...better known as the rookie CB rule

hope that helps some

as far as defensive players "timing out" due to age I would be more worried about how a scheme change can instantly kill a players value (ie: Mario Williams)...and as we know coaches jobs aren't very safe if they aren't winning...this year there are 10 or is it 11 knew defensive coordinators and 3 are changing schemes...luckily two teams (clev & den) that are changing will be positive for fantasy

Edited by keggerz