[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

16 team league draft strategy

osu1322

So this year my league moved from 12 teams to 16 teams.....

This is a huge change in terms of depth. I'm worried about quality players being gone much earlier and have been thinking of a good way to combat this problem.

Now thinking what each of the 16 teams need I came across an idea. Each team needs a QB and with there being 32 QB (cause each team really only has 1 QB unless injury happens) That means each team would have 2 QBs roughly. A starter and a back up. League rules state that we can only have 3 QBs on our team so I'm seriously thinking of drafting QB, QB, QB. If I'm able to get Rogers, Brees/ P Manning and Freeman I feel that their value is suddenly increased due to the lacking of good QBs. I have 3 of the top 10 QBs in a 16 team league... I should be able to trade off 1 or 2 of them to make some huge deals for the RBs that I passed on drafting....

What do u think about this strategy??? Is it too far fetched to work or just crazy enough???

That is both far fetched and crazy. I have been playing in a 16 team league since the early 90's. Depending on your scoring, will depend when QB's are taken. Regardless of scoring, there will be at least one and maybe two of the top QB's taken in the 1st round. A couple more could fall in the second round depending on value. You could see 3-4 QB's gone by the 2nd round (32 players). The rest of the qb's are pretty even as far as stats, You could draft a #5 QB with your 2nd round pick. That player could put up the same stats as the #10 QB drafted in the 5th or 6th round. In other words you probably will not get the trade value your looking for. If you just draft the BPA with your 1st couple picks your team will be much better. I draft 14th this year and with that draft position, I have no idea what position I will draft with the 1st few rounds.

Edited by Outshined

The thought has crossed my mind especially sense several of the people I play with live and die by going RB, RB in the first 2 rds....

I'm just trying to think outside the box mainly due to my fear that the draft pool will be shallow....

If I have 3 QBs, that means the top 10 (who u guys have agreed are about the same) will be gone by the 3rd round. It also means that that only 7 other potential team of the 16 has good quality QBs. The other 8 teams will either have to take sub par QB or have to trade for one of the top 10... I would be the top target with trades... I also think that this would force the other teams to take QBs earlier than they intended.

I'm honestly on the fence about doing this and if I could talk another league member into doing it with me I'd definitely do it cause that would further thin the QB position...

Edited by osu1322

Problem you'll run into is that the other owners who were able to get 2 great RB/WRs and then a mediocre QB will be in a better position than you are with 3 top 10 QBs, but mediocre RB/WRs. They hold the leverage. Also, you'll be wanting a RB/WR worthy of Rodgers/Brees/Brady and most teams won't be deep enough to offer that kind of value in return in a 16-team league. Like you said, the pool is already thin. I play in many 16-team leaues and if you don't get a trade within the first 4 games, your season can be over pretty quickly.

I'm honestly on the fence about doing this and if I could talk another league member into doing it with me I'd definitely do it cause that would further thin the QB position...

careful...you are wading into Collusion territory here.

possibly the worst idea I have ever heard. I cannot see why anyone would try this or think this has anyway of working out. As BC will tell you the diff in pts per game between qb1 and qb 12 is quite small, and noone will be upgrading enuf to trade you a rb you could have gotten in the second or third round to begin with. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel , cause you seem to be coming up flat.

wading?

He's in a scuba suit.

scuba.

Collusion is an agreement between two or more persons, sometimes illegal and therefore secretive, to limit open competition by deceiving, misleading, or defrauding others of their legal rights, or to obtain an objective forbidden by law typically by defrauding or gaining an unfair advantage

If that doesn't fit the definition of collusion, not sure what does... It always amazes me when people completely neglect the object of the game (to compete AGAINST eachother and score the most points), and think that it's perfectly fine to come up with strategies to cut as many throats as possible to win through things like collusion and tanking.

As for the QB idea, even if it did seem like it COULD be a viable strategy (which it isn't), you're still leaving it up to others to agree for it to even work (and you lose leverage as well, because they'll have a complete team, while you're begging someone to trade for a QB)... If your league is inexperienced and places QBs on to high of a pedestal, then let them draft them up and soak up the tremendous WR/RB value.

Edited by delusions of granduer

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I KNOW about that strategy...

In 2007, we had "that guy" in our league. He drafted Manning in Round 1. Instead of drafting a RB2 / WR2 in Round 3, he instead selected QB1 Marc Bulger yelling, "trade bait" after the pick. If you remember, Bulger was coming off a career season with the ink still drying on a new $62M contract extension.

Immediately following the draft, "that guy" placed Bulger on the trading block. Instead of the RB2 / WR2 "that guy" could've drafted in Round 3, he now wanted someone to pay a RB1 / WR1 ransom.

Guess how many offers he got? Zero.

Guess how much respect he earned? Zero.

That season, Bulger was plagued by injuries and threw for more interceptions than touchdowns for the first time in his career. He sat on the trading block for damn near 12 weeks before "that guy" eventually dropped him to clear space for a WR5 type waiver wire acquisition. "That guy" missed the playoffs for the first time in five seasons. To this day, "that guy" has become a running joke in the league.

5 Lessons Learned...

1. Never be "that guy". Once you've earned the label it never...ever...goes away.

2. Holding players hostage to build scarcity demand will only build resentment - owners would rather suffer (by your side) than give you the satisfaction of an undeserved payoff.

3. After attempting to pull off a shady maneuver like this, it's highly likely that nobody will ever trade with you again.

4. No matter how much you plan a draft strategy, expect the unexpected. You think your three Top 10 QB's are bullet proof? Think again.

5. If you plan to collude with another owner, you may get your ass kicked...literally. Be prepared.