[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tim Hightower

skinsfan827

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you need to hit pause for just a minute;

As they were talking about on the Colin Cowherd show today, Shanahan is basically trying to win preseason games while he decides which one of these slug QBs can best run his offense. His approach to the preseason has been different than his opponents. Few teams are showing their hands in the preseason but the 'Skins definitely are. I have always thought Hightower was a decent player but the hype produced by these preseason games is unseemly. I say we'll see a decidedly different looking product during the regular season when DC's bring the heat. Hightower's value is way too high right now in redrafts.

I respectfully disagree. Shanny has been eyeing Hightower for some time and it appears that Hightower found a coach who believes in him and a system that he can excel in. It's pre-season I know and while I agree some positions aren't worth following (WR for one), there have been RBs who have hinted at success during the pre-season. Most recently was Arian Foster last year.

There are several reasons I'm so high on Hightower and one is because I've owned him the last 2 years and I've seen what he is capable of on a team that didn't give him their full endorsement. He had some quality starts for ARI, I just think for whatever reason, Whisenhunt didn't see the potential that Shanny has seen. This happens in the NFL - see P. Holmes, C. Benson for recentish examples (I'm probably missing some). Another reason to be optimistic is that Timmy H is still a young guy - just turned 25 in May. Hightower has averaged 4.5 ypc in his last 2 seasons and is now entering his prime in a system that has proven successful for RBs - Arian Foster runs in the same system and came from more obscure history.

You can't win fantasy leagues by following ADP exclusively. Like usual, I will be loading up on WRs in the first 2-3 rounds and then looking for value in Hightower and DeAngelo later in the draft. My only challenge now is trying to predict what round I can guarantee both of these guys will end up on my roster.

He's some info on Shanahan and how he distributed carries to his RBs 2003-2008....

2003--Clinton Portis-290 carries Quentin Griffin-94 carries Mike Anderson-70 carries Jake Plummer-37 carries--- Top Dog Percentage: 59% (290/491 carries)

2004--Reuben Droughns-275 carries Quentin Griffin-85 carries Tatum Bell-75 carries Jake Plummer-62 carries--- Top Dog Percentage: 55% (275/497 carries)

2005--Mike Anderson-239 carries Tatum Bell-173 carries Ron Dayne-53 carries---Top Dog Percentage: 51% (239/465 carries)

2006--Tatum Bell-233 carries Mike Bell-157 carries Jake Plummer-36 carries Damien Nash-16 carries--- Top Dog Percentage: 52% (233/442 carries)

2007--Travis Henry-167 carries Selvin Young-140 carries Andre Hall-44 carries Jay Cutler-44 carries--- Top Dog Percentage: 42% (167/395 carries)

2008--Michael Pittman-76 carries Peyton Hillis-68 carries Selvin Young-61 carries Jay Cutler-57 carries Tatum Bell-44 carries Andre Hall-35 carries--- Top Dog Percentage: 22% (76/341 carries)

This lil' chart tells you a few facts: Shanahan has NEVER EVER given anyone over 66% of the carries in a season. Even when he is given beauts like Clinton Portis at age 22 in 2003 where he rushed for 1500+ yards and over 5.5 yards per carry he only gave him 59% of the rushes.

Not really in on this convo, but I had these stats available so feel free to use them or w/e. To me, I don't see Hightower being a serviceable starter this year....Torain and Helu and they have 2 other rookie Rbs on their roster...I don't see the Higtower hype.

Even the Terrell Davis years?

:wacko: I think he just ignored them for the sake of making his argument more persuasive.

ETA: also ignored was the fact that the starting RB was hurt in many of those years, thus creating the need to go with a 2nd and 3rd option.

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

His ADP in the IBL (interboard league) draft I just completed is round 10. There are 8 drafts in this league - I grabbed him in the late 9th round but that was before last night's game. I'll be happy if I can score him in round 5 or later. I'll probably target him in round 5 to ensure I get him - plus I won't have any RBs yet so unless there's somebody who majory slipped, I'll be eyeing Hightower in the 5th (12 team).

His ADP in the IBL (interboard league) draft I just completed is round 10. There are 8 drafts in this league - I grabbed him in the late 9th round but that was before last night's game. I'll be happy if I can score him in round 5 or later. I'll probably target him in round 5 to ensure I get him - plus I won't have any RBs yet so unless there's somebody who majory slipped, I'll be eyeing Hightower in the 5th (12 team).

Well, I guess we are drafting in tow different worlds. The FFPC had some posted drafts the other night (6 of them) and Hightower went as early as the 5th round pick #4 to as late as 7th round 2nd pick. So for the kind of redrafts I play that is my perception of where he is being drafted. What you are talking about, drafting him in the 9th round I have no problem with. I just think the reality is that after last nights performance his ADP is only going up (let it sink in for a few days) I'm just thinking he is going late 5th in the drafts I do, and his value is likely headed upward from there, and I'm saying TOO HIGHtower.

I'm getting the impression you like this kid...

Not drinking the kool aid if he's going before the 8th round after that I'll take a shot at him. But after his preseason I got a feeling he won't be on any of my teams because his ADP is soaring after each game he plays. So mark it down he'll be the FF MVP this year just to spite me! :wacko:

Well, I guess we are drafting in tow different worlds. The FFPC had some posted drafts the other night (6 of them) and Hightower went as early as the 5th round pick #4 to as late as 7th round 2nd pick. So for the kind of redrafts I play that is my perception of where he is being drafted. What you are talking about, drafting him in the 9th round I have no problem with. I just think the reality is that after last nights performance his ADP is only going up (let it sink in for a few days) I'm just thinking he is going late 5th in the drafts I do, and his value is likely headed upward from there, and I'm saying TOO HIGHtower.

I was about to post the same thing on the FFPC data. I'm also of the opinion it's not a good strategy to limit yourself to a strict positional drafting in early rounds. Our high stakes team has generally had substantial/consistent success in going with the best value player, regardless of the position, in early rounds.

Edited by bushwacked

Before we assume Hightower is this year's Foster, let us recognize two very important differences: There's not a Schaub or an Andre Johnson on Washington's team. Houston's offense was perfect for a back like Foster to excel. Accomplished QB with an elite WR option but it's not like they just throw it all over the park all day long. In other words, he gets enough touches but the D certainly has to be mindful of the pass.

That said, there is some upside and I'd be happy to have him on my team... At the right price, and the 5th round ain't the right price.

I agree that his ADP has most certainly gone up, especially after last night - I was just posting what did happen in a particular league. I'm willing to draft his as early as round 4 but would prefer round 5 or later. It's something I'll have to gauge during the draft.

I can't help but think we're like rats to the cheese here. Shanahan's such a dork, running full-on wham blocks and trap plays and springing RBs in fake games against exhibition defenses that didn't really game plan... :wacko: I'm resisting the Hightower hype with every bone in my body.

I can't help but think we're like rats to the cheese here. Shanahan's such a dork, running full-on wham blocks and trap plays and springing RBs in fake games against exhibition defenses that didn't really game plan... :wacko: I'm resisting the Hightower hype with every bone in my body.

+1