[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Grant not a lock o make team?!?!?

keggerz

One thing I don't get about the Starks love is everyone talks about how productive and tough he is - um, his career #s INCLUDING postseason are 110-416-1. It doesn't mean he CAN'T be a good RB, but basing it on what he's done, uh, not so much.

TOTALLY agree. I think last season we were subjected to so much Brandon Jackson mediocrity that once Starks got carries it was like a breath of fresh air. I'm not a Starks believer.

I think Grant is the starter in this group, at least for this season. I think Grant would have been cut or traded before now if this wasn't the case.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're even being nice to him here...he was a 3.5 ypc back in the regular season and 3.8 ypc back in the postseason. I think Grant's average. I think Starks is below average.

Actually against PHI, ATL, CHI & PIT defenses that isn't half bad. Mendenhall had a 3.8 ypc average.in the playoffs. I'm not saying that Starks is a stud based off just that or this article, but it does give you pause when considering Grant and might bump Starks a bit as a risk/reward pick.

Actually against PHI, ATL, CHI & PIT defenses that isn't half bad. Mendenhall had a 3.8 ypc average.in the playoffs. I'm not saying that Starks is a stud based off just that or this article, but it does give you pause when considering Grant and might bump Starks a bit as a risk/reward pick.

Well....run D - Phi - 110 ypg, 4.2 ypc; Atl - 106 ypg, 4.6 ypc; Chi 90 ypg, 3.7 ypc; Pitt 63 ypg, 3 ypc.

I'd put Phi and Atl's run Ds as "middlin' "; Chi was very good, Pitt was EXCEPTIONAL. Starks tore up Philly(23-123), was more or less stuffed vs Atl (25-66) and Chi (22-74) and did well vs Pitt, though it's obvious he wasn't the focal point (11-52).

So I'm by no means saying he wasn't solid, but it isn't exactly the stuff legends are made of, either.

If Starks was the #1 , then why has Grant received all the 1st string work in training camp and Starks with the 2nd.....this story will have lost it's legs in a few days

Because they want to see what Grant can still do. I think Starks is clear #1 RB, or 1a at worst, but I find it hard to believe they'd cut Grant.

I'd like to see the Colts go after him for a modest price but they never willl because he isn't enough of a "pass catching back." God forbid they get a guy who can pound it down the middle.

Edited by BeeR

I think Starks is clear #1 RB, or 1a at worst, but I find it hard to believe they'd cut Grant.

False. Starks has all of the measurables, but runs upright, and just isn't near the runner Grant is. Grant will get the majority of the meaningful touches. Starks is a clear back up. Grant fights for yards better and hits the holes faster. I like Starks next year though.

I can't believe no one is mentioning Alex Green. I believe he is the most talented RB of the 4 and will be starting by mid-season. I own him and have no interest in Starks or Grant.

False.

Alex Green has a week of practice under his belt, and will not be more than a third down back later on in the season. You better believe they're not going to put a rookie back in if they can help it. One blown block and the Packers season is over. No way as a starter unless Grant and Starks go down. Realistically, he has a tough job of just winning the third down back. I think it's firmly John Kuhn's. Kuhn is a monster with picking up the blitz, catches the ball well and fights for yards. Green is the fourth back on this team.

Let me remind you about TT. A couple of years ago he let a HoF QB leave (traded), because he had a young promising player waiting in the wings. How'd that work out for the Pack?

Let me remind you that HoF QB did absolutely nothing since they let him go.

Let me remind you that HoF QB did absolutely nothing since they let him go.

I wouldn't go that far...he may not have won any championships but he did put up some good stats and led the Vikings to the NFC championship game in 2009...that doesn't equal absolutely nothing to me

I wouldn't go that far...he may not have won any championships but he did put up some good stats and led the Vikings to the NFC championship game in 2009...that doesn't equal absolutely nothing to me

well i'll give him that, but the damage done to his legacy was worse IMO.

well i'll give him that, but the damage done to his legacy was worse IMO.

Ryan Grant was average when he entered the league and he's average now that he'll soon be leaving the league. Starks went for $2 in our auction league... kickin myself.

Had David Dorey on my radio show this week, talking about his Top 20, his three players you cannot pick no matter what, that sorta thing. If you haven't drafted yet, you can give it a listen here: http://www.talkbackwithmac.com - enjoy, cheers!

Mac

Ryan Grant was average when he entered the league and he's average now that he'll soon be leaving the league. Starks went for $2 in our auction league... kickin myself.

Had David Dorey on my radio show this week, talking about his Top 20, his three players you cannot pick no matter what, that sorta thing. If you haven't drafted yet, you can give it a listen here: http://www.talkbackwithmac.com - enjoy, cheers!

Mac

I like avg backs that get me 1200 yds 8 TD'S.

I like avg backs that get me 1200 yds 8 TD'S.

No kidding - there's this tendency to GROSSLY overvalue Ryan Grant. Ryan Grant is a better-than-average back. Brandon Jackson is an average back. We saw the difference last year between Ryan Grant and an average back.

Mac

2007: 960 rushing yards on 188 attempts, 30 receptions for 147 yards. 9 Touchdowns

2008: 1,300 total yards, 5 touchdowns

2009: 1,450 yards, 12 touchdowns

How many current runningbacks have done that in successive seasons? Not average ones. He's not a RB1, but he's well above average. NIce try, you're welcome to try again though.

PS I wasn't saying Starks SHOULD be #1, only that it sounds like he is.

According to who? All of the beat guys that I follow on twitter haven't said anything along those lines. Everything about Grant has been about how quick he's hitting the holes and that he hasn't lost any explosiveness. Starks has been mixed, depending on the day. He tweaked an ankle, blown a blitz pickup, and put the ball on the ground.

*If* there is any sort a committee approach, Grant would see 65% Starks 20% and Kuhn picking up the rest. Of course Green will get a few touches as the year progresses, but I think people forget how productive Grant is... Maybe because he doesn't put up massive stats in single games, but he's always good for 70-80 yards and a TD most weeks.

I also think the James Starks hype-train has gotten out of control. People talk about him as if he's the next Earl Campbell. Starks has potential, but has a long, long way to go. He doesn't make big plays, he doesn't get a lot of extra yards, he's not a threat on third down. He's got a ways to go. Thinking that he's going to take over for a healthy Grant is crazy. I'd love to be wrong, but just because you have the same build as Adrain Peterson it doesn't mean that you're the next Peterson. I think people have fallen in love with the feel good story about the Packers struggling with the run all year, then a sixth round pick comes in to save the day during the playoffs.

Just what I've seen with my two eyes, and read from pressers from MM, and following the beat guys on twitter.

According to who? All of the beat guys that I follow on twitter haven't said anything along those lines. Everything about Grant has been about how quick he's hitting the holes and that he hasn't lost any explosiveness. Starks has been mixed, depending on the day. He tweaked an ankle, blown a blitz pickup, and put the ball on the ground.

*If* there is any sort a committee approach, Grant would see 65% Starks 20% and Kuhn picking up the rest. Of course Green will get a few touches as the year progresses, but I think people forget how productive Grant is... Maybe because he doesn't put up massive stats in single games, but he's always good for 70-80 yards and a TD most weeks.

I also think the James Starks hype-train has gotten out of control. People talk about him as if he's the next Earl Campbell. Starks has potential, but has a long, long way to go. He doesn't make big plays, he doesn't get a lot of extra yards, he's not a threat on third down. He's got a ways to go. Thinking that he's going to take over for a healthy Grant is crazy. I'd love to be wrong, but just because you have the same build as Adrain Peterson it doesn't mean that you're the next Peterson. I think people have fallen in love with the feel good story about the Packers struggling with the run all year, then a sixth round pick comes in to save the day during the playoffs.

Just what I've seen with my two eyes, and read from pressers from MM, and following the beat guys on twitter.

This. Anyone following the Packers offseason would agree that Starks is not the #1 right now and no one is talking about him being #1.