[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Grant not a lock o make team?!?!?

keggerz

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Grant's primary strength was that he was the primary ball carrier for the Packers. I dont see this as being the case anymore. Kind of like Cedric Benson's situation. Not he greatest back in the world, but was worth alot because he carried the rock.

I think Grant's primary strength was that he was the primary ball carrier for the Packers. I dont see this as being the case anymore. Kind of like Cedric Benson's situation. Not he greatest back in the world, but was worth alot because he carried the rock.

:wacko: and exactly who is taking Benson's place? There goes another stupid theory.

What I was saying is that both Grant and Benson were the primary ball carriers on their respective teams. This appears to have changed for Grant this year. I think that both backs are on the downhill slide.

Edited by arnoldg3

This trail is so freaking funny to me. I love the wars over the GB starter.

I still am going with the most talent and my pick is Green. That guy reminds me of Steven Jackson. I think Green has the most talent in that backfield and RB is the easiest offensive position to come in and play well. The kid played in a pass first offense and knows damn well how to pass block.

I have a strong gut feeling he'll be the GB starting RB by the middle/end of the season and never look back. I'm investing.

This trail is so freaking funny to me. I love the wars over the GB starter.

I still am going with the most talent and my pick is Green. That guy reminds me of Steven Jackson. I think Green has the most talent in that backfield and RB is the easiest offensive position to come in and play well. The kid played in a pass first offense and knows damn well how to pass block.

I have a strong gut feeling he'll be the GB starting RB by the middle/end of the season and never look back. I'm investing.

The guy has spent a week actually practicing. Do you really think they'll roll him out there to pick up the blitz for Rodgers? The bottom line is that he has a tough uphill battle to over take John Kuhn, nevermind Starks then Grant. He hasn't shown anything to make anyone believe that he's a better between the tackles runner than Grant or Starks. I'm not sure you can go off of college tape, as he played in the crazy Hawaii offense. Hawaii's spread attack can't really translate that easily to the Packers offense. A few years down the road maybe he becomes a big player, but not right now.

His best shot at making a contribution early is in the return game, especially with Cobb being dinged.

And just to keep the discussion going, what makes you think Green is Steven Jackson like, other than the hair? What makes you think he can run between the tackles and overtake a 1,200 yard back and Starks?

No, we just watch the team very closely.

Apparently the beat writers don't:

LINK

Packers Blog

The Journal Sentinel's team of Packers beat writers provide the latest news, notes and analysis

James Starks, you're up

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

Aug. 25, 2011

Ryan Grant’s pay cut is a smart decision for both parties. The Packers would pay $1 million less in Grant’s base salary and Grant protects himself from the possibility of playing at the minimum elsewhere if he was cut. Fiscally, it makes plenty of sense for all involved.

So what now?

Well, Grant has been OK this training camp. Not bad, not great. While he missed the opportunity at a long run against Arizona last week, zigging instead of zagging, the three-year starter still has averaged 4.5 yards per carry. His repaired ankle is fine and, as expected, he’s in tip-top shape.

But Grant’s pay cut may be telling us what we’re seeing in practice — James Starks is the superior back. To stick around, Grant had to take less. If Starks wants the top spot, he can earn it.

In snapshots, Starks has looked better this summer. He’s running with more decisiveness and more power. He has shown improved patience, hitting holes with explosion. With quick whistles, camp practices are tough gauges for running backs. But, when healthy, Starks has not disappointed.

In Grant, the Packers know what they’re getting. He's a grinder that warms up with more carries. In Starks, there's potential for much more. Friday night’s dress rehearsal in Indianapolis is vital for the former University at Buffalo standout.

Eight pounds heavier from his gluten-free diet, he needs to gain the coaches’ trust in the games.

“He put on a couple pounds from last year,” running backs coach Jerry Fontenot said. “He worked hard this off-season and didn’t want to have a repeat of sitting out any game time this year. He worked hard and, as far as I can tell, he’s in good of shape as I’ve ever seen him.”

True, there’s no guarantee Starks can stay healthy for a full season and/or carry the heavy luggage game-in and game-out. Hence, the Grant pay cut. Keeping Grant provides insurance, comfort. While Dimitri Nance and Alex Green have had their moments at camp, neither would be ready to shoulder 15-20 carries a game if Starks went down. Not yet, anyways.

For now, nobody has been named a starter. And as Mike McCarthy has repeated, the Packers (like nearly all NFL teams) will utilize multiple backs this season. But both Grant and Starks feed off of more carries. Someone will be the hot hand.

Here’s thinking Starks is a lot closer to being the dominant back than he was one month ago. A strong outing Friday night could go a long ways.

“Obviously, he has a tremendous amount of ability,” Fontenot said. “He’s a guy who can contribute in this offense. We have a lot of guys at that position this year, running back, for us. There are a lot of guys competing for that role. He’s definitely one of them.

“James has been great with the number of reps he’s gotten so far.”

Apparently the beat writers don't:

LINK

Packers Blog

The Journal Sentinel's team of Packers beat writers provide the latest news, notes and analysis

James Starks, you're up

By Tyler Dunne of the Journal Sentinel

Aug. 25, 2011

Ryan Grant’s pay cut is a smart decision for both parties. The Packers would pay $1 million less in Grant’s base salary and Grant protects himself from the possibility of playing at the minimum elsewhere if he was cut. Fiscally, it makes plenty of sense for all involved.

So what now?

Well, Grant has been OK this training camp. Not bad, not great. While he missed the opportunity at a long run against Arizona last week, zigging instead of zagging, the three-year starter still has averaged 4.5 yards per carry. His repaired ankle is fine and, as expected, he’s in tip-top shape.

But Grant’s pay cut may be telling us what we’re seeing in practice — James Starks is the superior back. To stick around, Grant had to take less. If Starks wants the top spot, he can earn it.

In snapshots, Starks has looked better this summer. He’s running with more decisiveness and more power. He has shown improved patience, hitting holes with explosion. With quick whistles, camp practices are tough gauges for running backs. But, when healthy, Starks has not disappointed.

In Grant, the Packers know what they’re getting. He's a grinder that warms up with more carries. In Starks, there's potential for much more. Friday night’s dress rehearsal in Indianapolis is vital for the former University at Buffalo standout.

Eight pounds heavier from his gluten-free diet, he needs to gain the coaches’ trust in the games.

“He put on a couple pounds from last year,” running backs coach Jerry Fontenot said. “He worked hard this off-season and didn’t want to have a repeat of sitting out any game time this year. He worked hard and, as far as I can tell, he’s in good of shape as I’ve ever seen him.”

True, there’s no guarantee Starks can stay healthy for a full season and/or carry the heavy luggage game-in and game-out. Hence, the Grant pay cut. Keeping Grant provides insurance, comfort. While Dimitri Nance and Alex Green have had their moments at camp, neither would be ready to shoulder 15-20 carries a game if Starks went down. Not yet, anyways.

For now, nobody has been named a starter. And as Mike McCarthy has repeated, the Packers (like nearly all NFL teams) will utilize multiple backs this season. But both Grant and Starks feed off of more carries. Someone will be the hot hand.

Here’s thinking Starks is a lot closer to being the dominant back than he was one month ago. A strong outing Friday night could go a long ways.

“Obviously, he has a tremendous amount of ability,” Fontenot said. “He’s a guy who can contribute in this offense. We have a lot of guys at that position this year, running back, for us. There are a lot of guys competing for that role. He’s definitely one of them.

“James has been great with the number of reps he’s gotten so far.”

If Starks runs with the 1st team and has a good game, I would consider the possibility. If he goes out with the #2 unit then no way.

Here's another guy who apparently simply isn't paying attention:

Tom Silverstein, Sporting News posted yesterday

Starks has picked up right where he left off at the end of last postseason. He's patient, can drive into a hole and is slippery, often wiggling free for an extra yard. Much stronger than last year, Starks just needs to be healthy. Friday will be a good indication of whether he's in regular-season form.

Grant, meanwhile, hasn't looked like his old self, but the club guaranteed his salary in exchange for a $1 million pay cut, so it can't cut him. Grant really needs to show something Friday because rookie Alex Green is right on his heels.

Grant can still pound it between the tackles or stretch it to the sideline, but he lacks the smooth turns Starks can make with the ball in his hand.

So, all the banter aside, where is the value here? Grant is going well before Starks in drafts. Is this becoming Shanahan NFC North style? Why the mystery? Is the RB situation in GB just one to avoid all together? Like NE?

:wacko::tup:

So, all the banter aside, where is the value here? Grant is going well before Starks in drafts. Is this becoming Shanahan NFC North style? Why the mystery? Is the RB situation in GB just one to avoid all together? Like NE?

:wacko::tup:

Summary from this thread:

Homers: Grant to have a bigger impact this season.

Most others: Starks to have a bigger impact this season.

Beat writers have as much insight as we do. They push this to the public because in THEIR opinion they feel they know what's best for the team, and not the coaching staff. It's propaganda and we see it every week. The press wants the youth and talent of Starks , the coaching staff has clearly made it's decision known by giving Grant every single first team rep and start in training camp and preseason.

Don't know about you guys, but I've never seen a beat writer on the sideline telling a player to put on his helmet and get in the game. I'll stick with the coaches on this topic.

It is simply my opinion based on watching Youtube. I can see that he seems to be more talented than Starks. In my opinion talent will see the field eventually. Only a matter of time but anyone else is of course, free to disagree. Just don't say I didn't warn you guys. Just trying to help a bunch of guys barking up the wrong two trees.