[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who wins the Big Ten in 2011?

n1ttanystee1ers

As old-school as I can be and how sad it is that we'll now have to miss out on they and Oklahoma being in the same conference (hopefully it can be set up that they still play one another every year anyway) I am very excited about NEBRASKA joining the Big Ten! That AND there now being a Big Ten Title Game can only make the conference stronger; making its champion more BCS-legit. One can now win the Big Ten with one defeat yet still have a chance to play for the National Championship. And don't think Ohio State is suddenly no longer relevant. They still have the talent and if their coaching staff can just capitalize off that, they can still be a force. Expect Michigan to get on back and don't overlook Mich State either. As a Penn State fan I can't be anymore excited. We get Nebraska EVERY YEAR and for THIS YEAR we got BAMA Week #2 at Beaver Stadium and, hey, anything is possible! I still hate us playing cupcakes beginning of each season but adding Nebraska makes it better for us and EVERYONE ELSE in the Big Ten! Look over your shoulder, SEC!

As for MY PICK....(all Happy Valley bias aside).......I'm going to say the Title Game will be Ohio State (just edging Wisconsin for the 'Leaders' division) vs Nebraska who easily wins the 'Legends'! OSU will beat them in Lincoln during the regular season but NEBRASKA will get their revenge in the end!

Edited by n1ttanystee1ers

I know a lot of people are penciling in Nebraska to be in the championship game but locally we aren't very positive. NU is good enough to be a 9 win team but unless the new offense and our 2nd year starting QB made tremendous progress in the offseason, I just have to assume there will be some rough spots this year. Besides we lost 3 players in the secondary to the NFL. So our D line should be pretty good, I don't think you can just plug in new people and expect the secondary (which has been very good) to stay at the same level.

I think Wisconsin sounds like the team to beat in the Big 10 this year. Nothing but praise has been heaped at the QB transfer they got and college football is a QB league.

:wacko: for years Nebraska has had a cupcake schedule,

It's too bad one of your more coherent sentences doesn't make chit for sense. The Nebraska schedule isn't any easier or tougher than the Iowa schedule. They all put a few easy games out of their 4 non conference schedules. Typically one decent team mixed in with 3 nobodies. If you want to argue whether the B12 or B10 has been tougher in the last few years I think it'd be mixed at best.

Iowa in 2010 for their first 4 games played: Ball state, Arizona (who lost 5 games that year and still beat the Hawks), Iowa State, and Eastern Illinois. After that they played their conference schedule.

Nebraska in 2010 for their first 4 games played Western Kentucky, Idaho, Washington, and South Dakota State. After that they played their conference schedule.

Doesn't seem to be much difference to me. :tup:

when they face a top 10 they always lose.

Huskers haven't been a top 10 team, but last year they beat a #15 ranked team on the road and a number #8 ranked team at home in back to back weeks. Of course when our redshirt freshman QB got hurt we played like crap towards the end of year and we lost by 3 points (in one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen) to #19 aTm. So just last year when playing against top 20 ranked opponents NU went 2 for 3. Not saying it was a great team (got the OC deservedly fired) but Iowa fans seem so eager to talk trash when they don't know what they are talking about.

I know a lot of people are penciling in Nebraska to be in the championship game but locally we aren't very positive. NU is good enough to be a 9 win team but unless the new offense and our 2nd year starting QB made tremendous progress in the offseason, I just have to assume there will be some rough spots this year. Besides we lost 3 players in the secondary to the NFL. So our D line should be pretty good, I don't think you can just plug in new people and expect the secondary (which has been very good) to stay at the same level.

I think Wisconsin sounds like the team to beat in the Big 10 this year. Nothing but praise has been heaped at the QB transfer they got and college football is a QB league.

Secondary losses aren't as critical in college ball as they are in the pros. NU will be fine. I agree on them and OSU playing for the title.

PS who came up w/the dorky division names? Couldn't they have simply done North/South or East/West or some such?

It's too bad one of your more coherent sentences doesn't make chit for sense. The Nebraska schedule isn't any easier or tougher than the Iowa schedule. They all put a few easy games out of their 4 non conference schedules. Typically one decent team mixed in with 3 nobodies. If you want to argue whether the B12 or B10 has been tougher in the last few years I think it'd be mixed at best.

Iowa in 2010 for their first 4 games played: Ball state, Arizona (who lost 5 games that year and still beat the Hawks), Iowa State, and Eastern Illinois. After that they played their conference schedule.

Nebraska in 2010 for their first 4 games played Western Kentucky, Idaho, Washington, and South Dakota State. After that they played their conference schedule.

Doesn't seem to be much difference to me. :lol:

Huskers haven't been a top 10 team, but last year they beat a #15 ranked team on the road and a number #8 ranked team at home in back to back weeks. Of course when our redshirt freshman QB got hurt we played like crap towards the end of year and we lost by 3 points (in one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen) to #19 aTm. So just last year when playing against top 20 ranked opponents NU went 2 for 3. Not saying it was a great team (got the OC deservedly fired) but Iowa fans seem so eager to talk trash when they don't know what they are talking about.

:tup: anybody can look facts up :rofl: you know and i know and the universe knows the Huskers dominated a soft non conference and chitty conference for years and went to a bowl and embarrassed the midwest, if you argu that you ARE a great husker fan :wacko: didn't the cyclones beatdown the fuskers in lincoln

It will NOT be OSU.

A Big Ten team unable to play in a postseason bowl game because of league or NCAA sanctions will not be eligible to play in the conference championship game.

The bowl game stipulation is part of the Big Ten's complex tiebreaking procedures for determining division champions, released Thursday.

Ohio State is waiting for a ruling from the NCAA's Committee on Infractions regarding violations committed by former coach Jim Tressel, former quarterback Terrelle Pryor and four current players. The school has self-imposed penalties that include vacating all wins from the 2010 season and returning its share of the Big Ten's Sugar Bowl revenue.

Two-team ties will be broken by head-to-head record.

If three or more teams tie atop a division, the following methods will be used in order to determine a champion or reduce the glut to two, where a head-to-head tiebreaker then can be used:

• Records of the teams

• Records of the three tied teams compared within their division

• Records of the teams against the next-highest teams within the division

• Records against all common conference opponents

• The team ranked highest in the BCS standings after the regular season gets the league championship game berth unless it is ranked within one spot of another tied team. In this case, the head-to-head result of the two teams would determine the division champion.

• The team with the highest overall win percentage (outside of exempted games)

• The division champion will be chosen by random draw.

The BCS standings determined the Big Ten's automatic BCS bowl berth last season after Wisconsin, Michigan State and Ohio State tied atop the league at 7-1. Wisconsin earned a berth in the Rose Bowl because it finished fifth in the final BCS standings, one spot ahead of Ohio State and four spots ahead of Michigan State, which handed the Badgers their lone regular-season loss.

If an ineligible team wins the division, the tiebreaking procedures would proceed with all eligible teams to determine a title game participant. An eligible team that ties for the division with an ineligible team would go to the title game, as would an eligible team that finishes second behind an ineligible team.

The inaugural Big Ten championship game will be played Dec. 3 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

I'm pretty sure that OSU is going to get smacked with sanctions, one of those being banned from post season play.

Ah. So the capital NOT was an opinion and not a factual statement. The NCAA has already said they dont see any major sanctions coming their way at the August hearings. However, there is always the chance that more can come to light and there could be, but the NCAA has given no indicatoin of that yet.

That being said I dont see my Buckeyes winning the Big 10 this year on the field anyway. Way too many inexperienced players in key spots.

:tup: anybody can look facts up :bow: you know and i know and the universe knows the Huskers dominated a soft non conference and chitty conference for years and went to a bowl and embarrassed the midwest, if you argu that you ARE a great husker fan

:rofl: The AD that did schedule some of those cupcake years (I want to say year 3/4 of the Callahan years) was fired a few years back. So I'll freely admit that their was some BS going on for a few years. I don't think it was typical, but there were a few years where fans were saying wtph?

didn't the cyclones beatdown the fuskers in lincoln

:lol: I was actually at that game. It was surreal. I mean literally every offensive player had a fumble or two. I think NU had 8 fumbles that game. I mean, they say if you fumble enough you'll lose to anybody but that was one of the strangest games I've ever seen. I think Iowa states only real successful offensive play was a fake punt. :rofl:

If it makes you feel better next year, in 2012 NU's schedule starts out with Southern Miss, UCLA, Arkansas State, and then 8 conference games.

went to a bowl and embarrassed the midwest

:wacko: I don't know if any B10 fan really wants to talk about getting embarressed in bowl games. I don't think Bowls have really been their fortay if I remember correctly. Actually the bowl game part should be what B10 fans are happiest about. With NU joining and getting to a bowl game most years, it'll knock some of the lesser schools down a series so they have a better chance in their bowl games.

I like Wisconsin this year.

I understand there was a number of issues surrounding Russell Wilson at NCSU, but I'm still having trouble understanding why they were so quick to cut ties. The story being told to us down here was that they were tired of working around his spring baseball obligations and that it was getting in the way of football.

So, I could see some podunk school putting up with that, but Wiscky is a way better football school and they seemed to deal with it easily enough. By the looks of last night, it seems as if it worked out OK so far. Mind you, UNLV and all, but they were doing what they wanted, when they wanted to do it. It's not like NCSU didn't schedule some crappy teams as well.

:rofl: The AD that did schedule some of those cupcake years (I want to say year 3/4 of the Callahan years) was fired a few years back. So I'll freely admit that their was some BS going on for a few years. I don't think it was typical, but there were a few years where fans were saying wtph?

:lol: I was actually at that game. It was surreal. I mean literally every offensive player had a fumble or two. I think NU had 8 fumbles that game. I mean, they say if you fumble enough you'll lose to anybody but that was one of the strangest games I've ever seen. I think Iowa states only real successful offensive play was a fake punt. :rofl:

If it makes you feel better next year, in 2012 NU's schedule starts out with Southern Miss, UCLA, Arkansas State, and then 8 conference games.

:wacko: I don't know if any B10 fan really wants to talk about getting embarressed in bowl games. I don't think Bowls have really been their fortay if I remember correctly. Actually the bowl game part should be what B10 fans are happiest about. With NU joining and getting to a bowl game most years, it'll knock some of the lesser schools down a series so they have a better chance in their bowl games.

Hey a Rockefeller you don't happen to have season tickets and travelin otta the state for thanksgiving, i'll help ya out and buy 2 for 50 or 4 for 100 :tup: get right brack to me would ya