[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fav IPA beer

BeeR

the SN ruthless rye is a good change from the traditional IPAs. always nice to change it up every once in a while and try a new beer thats out there. with beer, quantity of quality is the key!!

Love this trend of Rye IPAs... Rye malt really balances out the hops well, with an almost dry finish. Always been a huge fan of rye beers, and SN was no different. Good stuff...

But the best ones I've had lately were Uinta Hop Notch (out of Utah), which had kind of a bready malt like Two Hearted, but tons of flavorful citrusy hops. Maybe the best IPA I've eve had other than....

Just got my 2 6-packs of Bells Hopslam for the year :wacko:

Making friends with the beer stores pays off, as people have been calling up all the retailers trying to get their hands on some.

Anyone tried "Long Sail" IPA? Just saw in the store and curious.

Full Sail you mean? It's pretty good, a slightly toned down West-Coast IPA, as opposed a total hop-bomb like some can be. It's fairly approachable while still having enough flavor. Nothing special, but a pretty standard WC IPA, IMO, LOLOMGBBQ

It's February and that brings the new IPAlooza:

IPAlooza IPA Set List:

At Ballantine

• Willoughby Cosmic IPA (local brewery)

• New Holland Rye Hatter IPA

• Three Floyds Alpha King

• Nogne O Triple IPA

• Stone 15th Black IPA

• Dogfish Burton Baton

• Fort Collins Incredible Hop

• Southern Tier Unearthly

• Almond 22 Peppercorn IPA

• Thornbridge Kipling Pale

• Bell's Hop Slam

• Founders DBL Trouble

• Troubadour Magma Cascade

• Stone/Ninkasi More Brown than Black IPA

• Avery Maharaja

• Fatheads or Brew Kettle (both locals - Fathead's has a Pittsburgh location)

At 1899 Pub:

• Victory Hop Wallop

• Green Flash Rayon Vert

• Willoughby Moonshadow IPA

• Lost Coast DBL Trouble

• Coronado IPA

• Maumee Bay IPA

• Two Bros Resistance

• He'brew 15th Anniversary

• Sam Smith IPA

• Anderson Valley IMP IPA

• North Peak Burly IPA

• Sierra Ruthless Rye IPA

• Boulder Mojo Risin'

Full Sail you mean? It's pretty good, a slightly toned down West-Coast IPA, as opposed a total hop-bomb like some can be. It's fairly approachable while still having enough flavor. Nothing special, but a pretty standard WC IPA, IMO, LOLOMGBBQ

It is Full Sail. The other was Long Trail. There was also another called (I think) Green Tiger or some such.

Opted for the Ruthless Rye. This is good stuff, though for my money Dogfishhead is still king.

Yes Pliney goes quick, very quick. Though if SM can get 750's for under $5 then it would vanish in minutes around here at the local bottle shops. Goes for close to double that and is hit and miss at best then. Worth the wait and trouble though not a traditional IPA by any means. This particular type of beer has been bastardized more than any other over the past several years. Mostly to the good, but certainly not a typical IPA by far. Hence Doubles, Imperials, Blacks etc, etc etc. That being said Sierra Nevadas Ruthless Rye IPA is one of this years best stretches for sure. Peppery Rye, dark, yet citrusey and strong with fresh cones very prominent. Get some while you can.

Just tasted it. I wonder why it took so long to get to my market. Fine stuff indeed. I've got a keg ordered for next week. Really great pricing on it as well.

On another note, relating to our pissing match regarding aging the Northern and Southern Hemisphere beers. Since the brewery rep was in showing the Rye, I asked. I hadn't finished with my sentence when they interrupted me and said, "Drink it as fresh as you can. That's why we bother to have hops shipped in from the Southern Hemisphere, so we can make fresh batches twice a year. If we thought it got any better with time, we'd just make it once a year. Who said you should hold on to it?"

So, there's that. Seems logical enough to me. I'm not saying that cool things don't happen to it over time, but I'll default to the brewery's suggestion on when or how to enjoy their product.

Who said you should hold on to it?"

For the IPA's that I've made, they have all done well with about one month conditioning from the day I brewed them. They are not bad after about two weeks (just carbonated), but the malt really has not had a chance to come through, imo. I've got an IPA on tap now that was in the primary fermenter for two weeks, then another two weeks dry hopped in the secondary, and has now been kegged for a week. It is heavenly. With that said, it will quickly lose/change its hop character over the next 2-3 months. In my house, 5 gallons of IPA only lasts about 2-3 weeks, so we don't have that problem. :wacko:

With SN's delivery schedule (at least in Tejas), I would guess you've already got 2-3 weeks on the brew date by the time you get a keg anyway.

Just tasted it. I wonder why it took so long to get to my market. Fine stuff indeed. I've got a keg ordered for next week. Really great pricing on it as well.

On another note, relating to our pissing match regarding aging the Northern and Southern Hemisphere beers. Since the brewery rep was in showing the Rye, I asked. I hadn't finished with my sentence when they interrupted me and said, "Drink it as fresh as you can. That's why we bother to have hops shipped in from the Southern Hemisphere, so we can make fresh batches twice a year. If we thought it got any better with time, we'd just make it once a year. Who said you should hold on to it?"

So, there's that. Seems logical enough to me. I'm not saying that cool things don't happen to it over time, but I'll default to the brewery's suggestion on when or how to enjoy their product.

Funny that you guys disagreed on this... it wasn't that long ago that Hugh believed that fresh beer is always better or something along those lines... peoples tastes change which is a good thing!

Cheers!

It is Full Sail. The other was Long Trail. There was also another called (I think) Green Tiger or some such.

Opted for the Ruthless Rye. This is good stuff, though for my money Dogfishhead is still king.

Just had the Ruthless Rye and thougt it was okay, but hubby loved it. He hates hoppy beers and I think that's why he liked it--not so hoppy.

just tried widmer rye ipa (1 of their rotator ipa series)....not happy. should have got another pack of the SN ruthless rye. the widmer lacks a solid flavor and comes across weak and left me feeling unimpressed. its always a sad day when u try a new 6 pack and its no good.

Well, I got my hands on four bottles of Pliney Elder (well five but I drank one :wacko: ) They normally only give out 3 per customer but I guess I used my charm. They were $4.99 a piece. My hubby who ships stuff out regularly thinks one bottle could cost $10 to ship. I will check in at UPS or Fed-Ex. com to get a quote. Let me know Puddy and Loaf if you want any.

I am in Cincinnati OH right now. Any micro brews I should try? I know Great Lake Brewery is pretty good. Can I find Hop Slam anywhere? I am on the NE side of town (Blue Ash), and regularly go to Hyde Park. I am only here a week to help with my mother who has had health problems.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia

Well, I got my hands on four bottles of Pliney Elder (well five but I drank one :wacko: ) They normally only give out 3 per customer but I guess I used my charm. They were $4.99 a piece. My hubby who ships stuff out regularly thinks one bottle could cost $10 to ship. I will check in at UPS or Fed-Ex. com to get a quote. Let me know Puddy and Loaf if you want any.

I am in Cincinnati OH right now. Any micro brews I should try? I know Great Lake Brewery is pretty good. Can I find Hop Slam anywhere? I am on the NE side of town (Blue Ash), and regularly go to Hyde Park. I am only here a week to help with my mother who has had health problems.

In terms of finding a great beer selection, there's a party store across the river in KY that has an amazing selection. I forget the name, but anyone from around there will know. It's basically a huge booze warehouse that lots of people shop at. When we were visiting last year, I stopped in and picked up a bunch of stuff that I hadn't been able to get otherwise. Goose Island and Great Lakes to be specific.

In terms of finding a great beer selection, there's a party store across the river in KY that has an amazing selection. I forget the name, but anyone from around there will know. It's basically a huge booze warehouse that lots of people shop at. When we were visiting last year, I stopped in and picked up a bunch of stuff that I hadn't been able to get otherwise. Goose Island and Great Lakes to be specific.

Thanks.

I saw a beer menu on line from the bar I hung out at in my 20's and listed Hopslam. I always go there when I am back, so we'll see if they actually have it in stock. For those of you in Cincy, the bar is Arthurs in Hyde Park.