[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fav IPA beer

BeeR

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Given 1) the amount of variation from one IPA to the next, 2) the relatively low gravity, and thus increased perceptive level of bitterness compared to something with the same IBUs but more sugars , and 3) the fact that citra hops are so flamboyant, so you're going to get so much hoppy flavors even if the beer isn't super bitter, were someone to simply give me a glass of that beer and say it was an IPA, even an American IPA, I wouldn't doubt them for a second nor be remotely disappointed with it.

I think I could tell it wasn't an IPA if it were given to me but obviously I can't really test that. I think the lower gravity would be the main tell after all an IPA is just a pale ale with more malt and more hops. Perceived bitterness can be much higher in an pale ale than an IPA even with lower IBUs. But, like I said if you told me you had a great pale ale that's pretty hoppy I would gladly try it. I like tasting new delicious beers regardless of style. I finally snagged a six pack of Headwater bottles and they are very good as well but the draft is much better.

My go to bottled IPA that I freaking love is Bell's Two Hearted. It's in pretty high demand so it isn't always on the shelves which means it's pretty fresh when you do find it which is very important for an IPA.

I think the lower gravity would be the main tell after all an IPA is just a pale ale with more malt and more hops.

I think this is only half right. While an Imperial IPA is certainly an IPA with more hops and malt, I don't think an IPA, by nature has to have more malt than a Pale. Many do in order to balance out the hops (but still tend to have relatively more hops to malt than a pale), but I've always simply considered an IPA to be a hoppier version of a pale ale. Take Founders All Day IPA. It's only 4.7% which is actually lower than the Headwaters. Mind you, it does have more IBUs, so it should seem more like an IPA.

American IPA:

Vital Statistics:

OG: 1.056 – 1.075

IBUs: 40 – 70

FG: 1.010 – 1.018

SRM: 6 – 15

ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

American Pale Ale:

Vital Statistics:

OG: 1.045 – 1.060

IBUs: 30 – 45

FG: 1.010 – 1.015

SRM: 5 – 14

ABV: 4.5 – 6.2%

From the BJCP guidelines.

In short, an IPA is slightly maltier/fuller (OG and ABV are higher) and significantly hoppier (IBUs are higher) than a pale ale.

In general, most American brewers are really pushing the upper bounds on both of these styles. For instance, we just got some Great Divide Rumble (awesome, well-balanced IPA that is not considered an Imperial IPA) and at 7.1%, the OG, abv and IBUs are all above the style guidelines.

Edited by jetsfan

BTW, Loaf, are you back to drinking beer? If so, PM me if you want the Pliney. I am saving a bottle for you. There's only one bottle and I can't get anymore, and I don't know how long I can keep my self control :D

If Loaf doesn't I would love it...my store in San Fran never came through...:kicksrock:

just bought Dogfishead, first IPA I've had in awhile. Still best/most reliably good IPA out there IMO.

Had both 60 min. and 90 min.(2) as well as their Aprihop on tap at my granddaughter's first birthday party on Sat. If I had another 90 min. I probably would have been face down in the cake with her. :fool:

Even better if you are in the PNW is Hophead by Bend Brewing Co. I just did a blind taste test with friends and I couldn't taste the difference between Hophead and Pliney the Elder--to me they tasted exactly the same. We had seven tasters and I was neutral on which was better, and the other 6 tasters, 3 liked the Hophead better and three liked the Pliney the Elder. The concensus was the Pliney was more complex, but the Hophead was cleaner, but only a very subtle difference in taste.

We have 10 breweries in Bend, and the best one is Boneyard, IMO. They are in a trailer and only sell to local bars or in their trailer tap room right now. Make note of it, because they will be big someday. I bought a growler of their Pale Ale and brought to a party down in CA., and it was gone in about 5 minutes.

BTW, Loaf, are you back to drinking beer? If so, PM me if you want the Pliney. I am saving a bottle for you. There's only one bottle and I can't get anymore, and I don't know how long I can keep my self control :D

I sent you a PM regarding this...thanks!

Got it and will respond to get your address. My life is super crazy right now. I will get your address and get it out to you. Dog training has been off the charts. Winter is over and dogs are out with their people again, barking, lunging, chasing, and biting dogs and people. I can't keep up and everyone wants to see me yesterday. Plus I am trying to lose some winter fat. If I can't get it shipped to you ASAP, my personal assistant (my husband) will do it.

• 1 year later...

Yo Loaf, if you need a Pliny hook-up I'm THAT guy...since you're in Ohio, I've been wanting to try some HeadHunter...get at me...I'm also on BeerAdvocate.com under the same name...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The other day I had a Sculpin IPA with Habanero.

Holy mother that was spicy. I enjoy spicy stuff, but that may have been a bit much even for me. Perhaps if I had paired it with a food that cooled the palate a bit, thus creating a nice balance it would have been a bit better, but I was at a pizza joint having some pizza. Not a bad beer, just not something you would sip on and enjoy by itself, at least I wouldn't.

The other day I had a Sculpin IPA with Habanero.

Holy mother that was spicy. I enjoy spicy stuff, but that may have been a bit much even for me. Perhaps if I had paired it with a food that cooled the palate a bit, thus creating a nice balance it would have been a bit better, but I was at a pizza joint having some pizza. Not a bad beer, just not something you would sip on and enjoy by itself, at least I wouldn't.

The Thai chili wahoo wheat is also very spicy

firestone's union jack has been one that I have really loved since I tried it. tonight I had their "wookey jack" black rye IPA and it is truly one of the best beers I've had in a long time.

Those are good - Their Double Jack is also very good - even better when you can find it on tap.

• 4 months later...

One of my partners gave me 2 cans of Heady Topper last night - forgot how effin awesome this was. We were able to get our hands on a few cases last summer and split them up.

Also been digging Resin from Sixpoint and my go to regular is Green Flash West Coast IPA

• 2 weeks later...