[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 1: Whatcha cookin'

peteteacher2001

Do ya make yer own or can you recommend a brand, haven't had a good onion ring in years :wacko:
2 large onions, halved, thinly sliced

1 cup buttermilk

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tablespoon salt

2 teaspoons paprika

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Vegetable oil (for frying)

Separate onions into strips. Mix with buttermilk in large bowl. Cover with plastic and refrigerate 1 hour. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated.)

Stir flour, salt, paprika, and cayenne pepper in another large bowl. Drain onions. Add to flour mixture and toss to coat. Pour oil into heavy saucepan to depth of 3 inches. Heat to 350°F. Working in small batches, shake excess flour off onions and cook in hot oil until golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes per batch. Using slotted spoon, transfer onions to paper towels and drain.

Transfer onions to platter. Season with salt.

Serves 4.

This one from Bier is the one I use. I use a mandolin to slice my onions thin as I don't like thick onion rings. I add a bit more cayenne and usually some garlic powder as well.