[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gary Brackett

CaptainHook

Brackett injured his shoulder after his interception return. He did not return to the game. Rookie Adrian Moten is his back-up. However, I could also see the Colts moving Pat Angerer to MLB, leave Kavell Conner at the weak side, and put in Phillip Wheeler on the strong side. Stay tuned, depending on how long Brackett is out.

Brackett injured his shoulder after his interception return. He did not return to the game. Rookie Adrian Moten is his back-up. However, I could also see the Colts moving Pat Angerer to MLB, leave Kavell Conner at the weak side, and put in Phillip Wheeler on the strong side. Stay tuned, depending on how long Brackett is out.

this

Colts president Bill Polian confirmed that Pat Angerer is viewed as Gary Brackett's eventual replacement at middle linebacker.

Brackett is signed through 2014, but turns 31 in May. Angerer, a second-round pick last season, started seven games at outside linebacker and four games in place of an injured Brackett as a rookie. He showed more than enough for the Colts to be excited about his outlook. Mar 21 - 11:52 AM

Source: Colts.com

The Indianapolis Colts will be without two linebackers, including defensive captain Gary Brackett for Sunday’s game against Cleveland at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Colts coach Jim Caldwell today ruled out Brackett, the middle linebacker, with a bruised left shoulder as well as veteran reserve outside linebacker Ernie Sims, who sprained a knee in last week’s season opener at Houston.

“It’s not going to take a lot of sorting out,” Caldwell said in his daily news conference. “It’s just going to be some adjustments we have to make.

“Gary and Ernie both will not play this week. There’s not a whole lot of guesswork involved. We’ll just make the adjustments we have to make and we’ll move forward from there.”

Brackett talked to reporters and said the shoulder was “still sore.” He left open the possibility it could improve enough to play Sunday. He was hurt when tackled after an interception return.

“Just some edema in there, some swelling,” Brackett said. “We’ll see how it recovers.

“Right now, we’re just taking it day-by-day. Hopefully it improves. If not, it’s the next man up.”

Caldwell said outside linebacker Kavell Conner, who suffered a left foot injury in the opener, should be able to play.

“I think he’s going to be OK,” the coach said. “He’s coming along in pretty good shape. I think he’s going to be fine.”

The Colts later announced they had re-signed linebacker Nate Triplett, who was among final cuts. They also have added linebacker Caleb Campbell to the practice squad.

Without Brackett, a ninth-year pro who makes all of the defensive calls in the huddle, the Colts are expected to shift second-year linebacker Pat Angerer to the middle.

Sims, a sixth-year pro in his first season with the Colts, was injured on special teams but primarily is used in the team’s nickel packages, for pass coverage and blitzing.

The Colts aren’t known for divulging such details about a player’s status on Wednesdays, so Caldwell was asked later if Brackett holds out hope he could still play.

“Well, I can tell you when I said those two guys are out, unless some miracle occurs, OK?” he said. “And it’s happened with a couple guys.

“That’s why often times we kind of avoid even telling you that because of the fact that if they happen to pop up, if he happens to come through and say, ‘Coach, you know what, I can go,’ then we’re going to let him go. And I’ll just have to come back and tell you I was wrong.”

Since becoming a full-time starter in 2005, Brackett has missed a dozen starts out of a possible 97 regular-season games. He missed four games last season, two in 2009 and four in 2008.

But Caldwell reminded about his defensive captain, “He always thinks he can go.”

from indystar.com