[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Younger People Are Angry

WaterMan

Yeah, the Repubs have been incredibly successful in focusing public frustration on teachers and other government workers while making sure their rich friends skate and any attempt at regulation gets watered down to uselessness.

The "vampire squid" raised more money for Obama's 2008 presidential campaign than any other bank or Wall Street firm, over $1 million from Goldman employees, officers, etc. If the goal was to gain access to the White House, the plan seems to have been wildly successful.

I'd appreciate a comment.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Brookfield Office Properties, which owns Zuccotti Park, seems to be slowly building a case against protesters, saying Thursday that the protestors are interfering with the use of the park by others and are creating sanitary problems.

“Sanitation is a growing concern,” Brookfield said in a statement. “Normally the park is cleaned and inspected every weeknight. . . because the protestors refuse to cooperate. . .the park has not been cleaned since Friday, September 16th and as a result, sanitary conditions have reached unacceptable levels.”

at least you don't see tea partiers frolicking around in their own schiesse

They owned the government before Obama took office:

Of course, Goldman had powerful connections before, including Bush administration Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson, a former Goldman CEO.

But of course if Obama wanted to be president, he had to be even richer to run, so he took the money. It's our corrupt oligarchy in full swing.

I dunno, ask president goldman sachs :wacko:

Wall Street protesters disgusted with both parties

By Beth Fouhy and Verena Dobnik

Associated Press / October 7, 2011

NEW YORK—Although their main concern is Wall Street practices and economic inequality, some demonstrators in New York and across the U.S. say politicians from both major parties are to blame for policies they say protect corporate America at the expense of the country's middle class.

"At this point I don't see any difference between George Bush and (Barack) Obama. The middle class is a lot worse than when Obama was elected," said John Penley, an unemployed legal worker from Brooklyn.

The Occupy Wall Street movement, which began last month with a small number of young people pitching a tent in front of the New York Stock Exchange, has expanded nationally and drawn a wide variety of activists, including retirees, union members and laid-off workers. As new groups continue to organize, demonstrators Thursday marched in Philadelphia, Salt Lake City, Los Angeles and Anchorage, Alaska, carrying signs with slogans such as "Get money out of politics" and "I can't afford a lobbyist."

The protests are in some ways the liberal flip side of the tea party movement, which was launched in 2009 in a populist reaction against the bank and auto bailouts and the $787 billion economic stimulus plan.

But while tea party activists eventually became a crucial part of the Republican coalition, the Occupy Wall Street protesters are cutting President Barack Obama little slack. They say Obama failed to crack down on the banks after the 2008 mortgage meltdown and financial crisis.

"He could have taken a much more populist, aggressive stance at the beginning against Wall Street bonuses, and exacting certain change from bailing out the banks," said Michael Kazin, a Georgetown University history professor and author of "American Dreamers," a history of the left. "But ultimately, the economy has not gotten much better, and that's underscored the frustration on both the right and the left."

Obama on Thursday acknowledged the economic insecurities fueling the nearly 3-week-old Wall Street protests. But he pinned responsibility on the financial industry and on congressional Republicans he says have blocked his efforts to kick-start job growth.

"I think people are frustrated and the protesters are giving voice to a more broad-based frustration about how our financial system works," he said at a nationally televised news conference. "The American people understand that not everybody has been following the rules, that Wall Street is an example of that ... and that's going to express itself politically in 2012 and beyond."

He said the U.S. must have a strong and effective financial sector for the economy to grow, and that the financial regulation bill he championed ensures tougher oversight of the financial industry.

The president also has been pushing for a $443 billion jobs plan to be paid for in part through a tax on the wealthy. Republicans have resisted such tax increases.

GOP presidential candidates Mitt Romney and Herman Cain have criticized the anti-Wall Street protests. All the Republican contenders have also pushed back against the demonization of Wall Street. They accuse the Obama administration of setting regulatory policies that have stifled job creation and say his health care overhaul will prevent many businesses from hiring new workers.

In Zuccotti Park, the center of the Occupy Wall Street protests in New York, activists expressed deep frustration with the political gridlock in Washington. While some blamed Republicans for blocking reform, others singled out Obama.

"His message is that he's sticking to the party line, which is `we are taking care of the situation.' But he's not proposing any solutions," said Thorin Caristo, an antiques store owner from Plainfield, Connecticut.

But Robert Arnow, a retired real estate worker, said the Republicans need to tell their congressional leaders, "You're standing in the way of change."

Quacy Cayasso, a Web designer, didn't watch Obama's news conference even though it was broadcast on TV monitors at the protest site in New York.

"He's a cool president, but he was given a hard task," Cayasso said. "He should get some gratitude for what he's done so far, but he's been overlooking jobs and not putting much effort into that until now."

What I don't get is people continuing to state that the media isn't covering this event. Hardly a day has gone by since it began that I don't read a story, sometimes multiple stories, about these guys. Am I not missing something that the rest of you guys seem to be?

What I don't get is people continuing to state that the media isn't covering this event. Hardly a day has gone by since it began that I don't read a story, sometimes multiple stories, about these guys. Am I not missing something that the rest of you guys seem to be?

Oh boy they have all jumped on the band wagon to cover this now.

In fact Fox News was so into the story that the police maced and beat them: http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/occupy-wal...-scope-20111005

Oh boy they have all jumped on the band wagon to cover this now.

In fact Fox News was so into the story that the police maced and beat them: http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/occupy-wal...-scope-20111005

They were all there on day 1 - 15, also.

I wonder if the politicians have done a good enough job to divide these two groups that normally wouldn't be in the same room together if it was a Presidential election.

It would be nice to see these two protest together: one brings the guns and the other brings the ipods/laptops.

Well at least the guys carrying the guns, for the most part, are buying American made products. :wacko:

Edited by SEC=UGA

Well at least the guys carrying the guns, for the most part, are buying American made products. :wacko:

But our country is so rich, we can just buy them all from overseas and not break our backs/minds over these neat whatchmahcallit gizmos and who hahs. And if we REALLY wanted them all, we can have the military to take all the iPods. :tup:

Edited by WaterMan

I was at a conference on portable devices e.g. iPads, iPhones, etc. this week. One interesting little snippet was that the iPad would cost $15 more if it was produced in the US. That seems like a trivial amount to bankrupt America for.

The shotgun I just bought was made in Turkey.

Interestingly enough, Remington, Kimber, S&W all have shotguns that are manufactured in Turkey.

I was at a conference on portable devices e.g. iPads, iPhones, etc. this week. One interesting little snippet was that the iPad would cost $15 more if it was produced in the US. That seems like a trivial amount to bankrupt America for.

Especially considering that those products aren't exactly competitively priced in the first place.

Interestingly enough, Remington, Kimber, S&W all have shotguns that are manufactured in Turkey.

Ineterstingly enough, I had the pleasure of shooting a Turkish made Remington in Turkey one time.

My buddy and his brother loaded me up in the car and said we have a surprise for you... We drove out into the country side on the south side of Adana. Pulled up to a random farm and the farm hand was out in front of the barn. My budies brother went over to the guy, spoke with him and came back to the car. He opened up the trunk and pulled out a semi-auto .556, a .357 and a 12 Gauge remington semi auto. We were all talking to one another in English and the farm hand guy was looking a little bit concerned, kinda like, what the hell is this American dude doing out here in rural Adana with a freaking arsenal.

So we shot off a few hundre rounds.

When we were done the farm hand washed our shoes and we gave him about $20. He was still looking at us kinda strange.

A good time was had by all.

yeah right, that's why the unions and the institutional left are jumping into the mess with both feet,

I haven't kept up much on this, but as I understood it the protestors were upset with both parties as the top 1% have done exceedingly well (and the middle class has trended downward) under both parties in recent history. Both parties have sent troops and money into other nations for pollitical reasons that probably don't benefit the general populace of America. Seems like a subset of people are mad as hell and are going outside of the traditional politics to get their point across. Sure some ideals overlap, but I don't think you can really say that the Democrats haven't sold the US people out to corporations a billion times over.

So I'm not sure why this would be that different than the tea party. Weren't' they basically angry over TARP? Sure, smaller government spending fell in line with what the Republicans trumpet (but hardly ever do) but I don't really think that either party wants some split in the voter base. I mean, if you want to win a two team race, why would you want to divide your base and spend energy trying to engage/fight/manipulate people on your side of the ailse while watering down resources that should be spent fighting the other team?

But maybe you think that this subset will be all Kumbaya with the Democrats. Sounds like a bold strategy Cotton, we'll see how it plays out.

yeah right, that's why the unions and the institutional left are jumping into the mess with both feet, gotta amplify that class warfare angle because what the hell else do they have to run on next year? you guys aren't this stupid. club, maybe. :tup:

Maybe because those groups doent represent the top 1% that has done obscenely well while eveyone else has suffrered that they are protesting about? :wacko:

I wonder what sort of event would get the attention of the financial community and persuade them they should take notice of what the general public thinks of them? I'm pretty sure they aren't taking any notice of this protest.

Did you see the Chicago Mercantile sign showing "We are the 1%"? Digusting creatures.

What will eventually get their attention is Obama and Boehner being dragged down the steps nekkid and crying exposed for the traitors they really are while this country takes back the political system.

Maybe because those groups doent represent the top 1% that has done obscenely well while eveyone else has suffrered that they are protesting about? :wacko:

i don't think so. If that were the case, then they (unions, institutional left) would have joined the protests immediately when they started weeks ago. This is nothing more than a political move. As one poster said it earlier, they are jumping out in front of the parade that started weeks ago and acting like they are leading it. This is fake as fake gets and they don't really care about the 99% that they accuse Wall Street of doing. It's all about "looking" like they do, not actually doing.

It's going to fail and fail miserably, IMO.

Edited by tosberg34

Did you see the Chicago Mercantile sign showing "We are the 1%"? Digusting creatures.

What will eventually get their attention is Obama and Boehner being dragged down the steps nekkid and crying exposed for the traitors they really are while this country takes back the political system.

It's not Boehner and Obama's misery that will get their attention. It's their own. Violence and fear are the only things that would focus the parasites enough to start thinking about their actions beyond their own pockets.

I doubt things will get that far.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

interesting...

The fact is that no-one likes a fast buck more than the American public. Wall Street was the enabler, but Main Street was the addict. Americans stopped saving as long as home prices rose; when home prices started to fall, they started saving again.

That is why the Wall Street protesters are foolish and petulant. American households levered a $6 trillion net inflow of foreign savings during the decade 1998 through 2007 into a bubble that benefited them far more than it did Wall Street. The impact of the bubble on the household balance sheet exceeds the growth in real-estate assets, moreover, because most small business expansion followed the housing bubble.

For fifteen years we rode a tsunami of foreign capital pouring into American markets. We didn’t save a penny. Why should we? Our home equity was our retirement account. Our smartest kids got MBAs and went to Wall Street derivatives desks. Engineering was for dummies. Home prices rose so fast that local governments swam with tax revenues and hired with abandon. Everybody went to the party. Now everybody has a hangover, especially the bankers. We thought we were geniuses because we won the lottery. Now we actually have to produce and export things, and we have to play catch-up. Our kids are competing with Asian kids who go to cram school and practice the violin in the afternoon. This isn’t going to be easy, and the sooner we decide to roll up our sleeves and get back to work instead of looking for bankers to blame, the better our chances of coming back.

interesting...

That's all fine and true, but the Main Street households that didn't save because they were making easy money in the housing bubble did not get bailed out, while Wall Street did get bailed out. So not only did Main Street lose half of its net worth, but then to rub salt in the wounds we are asked to pay even more to make sure that Wall Street doesn't have to feel the same pain that we feel. The government picked a winner, and once again it was not us.