Sign in to follow this  
Outshined

Baseball Playoffs

This series was tough to watch because I seriously hate both these teams, but Carpenter was amazing, as was Halliday.

A great game to watch for sure.

I'll always have 1980 :wacko:

what time does the Yanks/Tigers and Phils/Cards game 5's start tomorrow? Just woke up and had a nightmare that both top seeds were eliminated in game 5 :wacko:

That's true but there's no getting around the jinx that swammi laid on them right in this thread.

:wacko: Thats why they play the games

I'll be completely stunned if the Phils don't win in 4 games or less. St. Louis starting and relief pitching has been brutal all year (even Carpenter for stretches). What got St. Louis here was theor #1 offense in the NL, which I think can be more than offset by the Phils outstanding pitching.

Phils in 3.

i_am_NOT_the_swammi :tup:

Red Sox, Yankees & Phillies :lol:

So, for this year, money can buy your way to the playoffs (except the Sox :wacko:), but, in a 5/7 game series, anything can happen.

i_am_NOT_the_swammi :tup:

Red Sox, Yankees & Phillies :lol:

So, for this year, money can buy your way to the playoffs (except the Sox :wacko:), but, in a 5/7 game series, anything can happen.

+1 I couldn't have asked for anything better than this. Was great to see both the Yankees and Phillies get knocked out early. I'd really like to see the Brewers win it all.

last night I did something I don't think I have ever done....

I turned the game off before the 8th inning....there was no magic with this team like I saw in 08.....it was just a really good team with spotty inspiration getting beat by a team who clearly wanted it more....I seriously could not watch this series end, it was brutal for me...:wacko:

great series by the Cards here....they deserved it..

I am sooo happy my brewers are still in it!! :wacko: and now we get the cards, who the brewers won the season series Against!!!

I am sooo happy my brewers are still in it!! :tup: and now we get the cards, who the brewers won the season series Against!!!

Bring it...

:lol:

I haven't spoken with my parents yet today, but I imagine their friends who own a B&B in Madison have already called them about 26 times, telling them how the the Brew Crew is going to beat the Cards. Probably involves a bet of cases of Stag beer for wine too...

This should be a great series, regardless if it goes 4 or 7. These two teams "respectfully", and absolutely, dislike each other. Check out the NL Central reppin' the entire NL. Cards and Brew Crew showing that the NL Central is the best division in baseball this year. Period. Thankfully no east coast teams... what's ESPN going to do now, put baseball on ESPN 9 (watchable only with rabbit ears and tin foil)?

Now... I just get to sit back and watch the Cards turn T Plush back into Nyjer Morgan... i.e. the guy who's been on 6 teams in 4 years for a reason. :wacko:

it was just a really good team with spotty inspiration getting beat by a team who clearly wanted it more

I think that sounds about right--after they lost game 2 there just didn't seem to be any passion with the Phillies.

That's true but there's no getting around the jinx that swammi laid on them right in this thread.

yes, I let the city of Philadelphia down :wacko:

great series by the Cards here....they deserved it..

Pretty much all that needs to be said. Their pitchers quieted the Phils bats and did enough to out-duel our starters. many will say the Game 2 loss was the key to the series, but really, it was the Phils inability to generate any runs other than Game 1. Save for one lucky swing by Ben Francisco in Game 3, this series would have been over in four games, not five.

Oh, and a tip of the cap to Carpenter for what was perhaps the best postseason pitching performance I have seen in my adult life. While Halladay's no-hitter last year was amazing, it wasn't surrounded in elimination-game drama. Carp was just phenomenal, throwing first-pitch strikes all game, getting his curve over, and keeping the ball low in the zone. He was about as dominant as an ace could be.

yes, I let the city of Philadelphia down :wacko:

You are like Sports Illustrated and Madden combined into one.

The four remaining teams all fell between 10th and 17th on spending. Maybe there's a balance between stars and role players that makes a team better than playing fantasy baseball :wacko:

New York Yankees $ 202,689,028

Philadelphia Phillies $ 172,976,379

Boston Red Sox $ 161,762,475

Los Angeles Angels $ 138,543,166

Chicago White Sox $ 127,789,000

Chicago Cubs $ 125,047,329

New York Mets $ 118,847,309

San Francisco Giants $ 118,198,333

Minnesota Twins $ 112,737,000

Detroit Tigers $ 105,700,231

St. Louis Cardinals $ 105,433,572

Los Angeles Dodgers $ 104,188,999

Texas Rangers $ 92,299,264

Colorado Rockies $ 88,148,071

Atlanta Braves $ 87,002,692

Seattle Mariners $ 86,524,600

Milwaukee Brewers $ 85,497,333

Baltimore Orioles $ 85,304,038

Cincinnati Reds $ 75,947,134

Houston Astros $ 70,694,000

Oakland Athletics $ 66,536,500

Washington Nationals $ 63,856,928

Toronto Blue Jays $ 62,567,800

Florida Marlins $ 56,944,000

Arizona Diamondbacks $ 53,639,833

Cleveland Indians $ 49,190,566

San Diego Padres $ 45,869,140

Pittsburgh Pirates $ 45,047,000

Tampa Bay Rays $ 41,053,571

Kansas City Royals $ 36,126,000

Thankfully no east coast teams... what's ESPN going to do now, put baseball on ESPN 9 (watchable only with rabbit ears and tin foil)?

Great point. Texas, Milwaukee, Detroit, St Louis. While I'm looking forward to these series and watching whoever makes it to the WS, it's really nice to not be rooting against any team and have them all from the Midwest. Any of these could win it and all are attractive to watch, IMO.

Screw ESPN.

Also, all three Game 5s were settled by one run. How cool is that?

Pretty much all that needs to be said. Their pitchers quieted the Phils bats and did enough to out-duel our starters. many will say the Game 2 loss was the key to the series, but really, it was the Phils inability to generate any runs other than Game 1. Save for one lucky swing by Ben Francisco in Game 3, this series would have been over in four games, not five.

Oh, and a tip of the cap to Carpenter for what was perhaps the best postseason pitching performance I have seen in my adult life. While Halladay's no-hitter last year was amazing, it wasn't surrounded in elimination-game drama. Carp was just phenomenal, throwing first-pitch strikes all game, getting his curve over, and keeping the ball low in the zone. He was about as dominant as an ace could be.

Top 2-3 for me, but I still think Morris' 10-inning 1-0 shutout in '91 was the best I've seen. Of course, I'm just slightly biased. :tup:

As much as I enjoy the big-money teams getting knocked out, I'm not sure who (if anyone) I'll pull for, out of the final four teams. Not sure I can pull for the Tigers (since they're in the same division as MN), can't stand Selig (and I don't think I could ever cheer for anything Wisconsin), and I'm really not much of a LaRussa fan (plus seeing McGwire celebrate in the dugout last night made me :wacko: , for some reason). Don't know if that means I'll pull for the Rangers, by default, or just wait and see what happens when the games begin. Probably the latter... Usually, if I have no vested interest in either team, something (or someone) pushes me in one direction or the other. Worst case, I'll pull for whichever teams are behind (hoping for both series to be close).

Regardless, I'll be watching... The drama of post-season baseball (especially in the elimination games) is unlike anything else in sports, IMO.

Ruptured Achilles for Ryan Howard. :wacko:

Wish him the best in his recovery.

Go Brewers!!!!!

:wacko:

Saw this on a message board otherwise I wouldn't have even realized it.

Miller vs Anheuser Busch

Saw this on a message board otherwise I wouldn't have even realized it.

Miller vs Anheuser Busch

Yep.

And with all the bad blood this year, it will be fun to watch.

Did you know the Anheuser family were cousins of the Schlitz (uihlien) family and they hated each other like hatfields and Mccoys? interesting stuff . .

Yep.

And with all the bad blood this year, it will be fun to watch.

Did you know the Anheuser family were cousins of the Schlitz (uihlien) family and they hated each other like hatfields and Mccoys? interesting stuff . .

And for revenge on the 1982 WS, which was called the "Suds Series"

Top 2-3 for me, but I still think Morris' 10-inning 1-0 shutout in '91 was the best I've seen. Of course, I'm just slightly biased. :tup:

As much as I enjoy the big-money teams getting knocked out, I'm not sure who (if anyone) I'll pull for, out of the final four teams. Not sure I can pull for the Tigers (since they're in the same division as MN), can't stand Selig (and I don't think I could ever cheer for anything Wisconsin), and I'm really not much of a LaRussa fan (plus seeing McGwire celebrate in the dugout last night made me :wacko: , for some reason). Don't know if that means I'll pull for the Rangers, by default, or just wait and see what happens when the games begin. Probably the latter... Usually, if I have no vested interest in either team, something (or someone) pushes me in one direction or the other. Worst case, I'll pull for whichever teams are behind (hoping for both series to be close).

Regardless, I'll be watching... The drama of post-season baseball (especially in the elimination games) is unlike anything else in sports, IMO.

Cmon - Nick Punto...one of a few players in the dome where the chants would start up, "lets go PUN-TO"! His defense kicks ass and it's even better when he gets the occasional hit. For some reason, I still would like to see the Tigers win it. Maybe because I think the central always gets perceived as the "soft" division. I also like Jim Leyland because he has a lot of class...kinda like TK. I like Delmon Young and Verlander is fun to watch.