[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baseball Playoffs

Outshined

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always pulled for Washington to do well, if nothing else because he was a Twin. Although I can't say that I've followed his managerial career closely enough to judge him one way or the other, there's one thing I can say with 100% certainty... They made it to the frickin' WS last year. And, let's get real here... it's not like they lost because they were out-managed. The SF pitching was clearly on a different level than what Texas had faced to that point, and was the biggest noticeable difference in the series. Sure, SF had some timely hitting as well, but the pitching staff was the big difference in the two teams.

That said, I've really been impressed by what Texas is doing this year, and their lineup is as strong as it's ever been. The additions of Beltre, Napoli, etc. seem to help more than losing Cliff Lee has hurt them. Should be an interesting WS, no matter who comes out of the NL.

Looks like the Rangers will get to mop up on that weak Cardinal's pitching. Rangers will probably win in 5. :wacko:

GO CARDS!!!

Even though we lost, at least the Ranger bats woke up last night. I think that is all the Rangers needed was to get the bats going, if they are hitting AND their backs are against the wall, then watch out. The Cardinals are going to have to hit every night from here on out. No more 3-2 wins, the bats are alive, now.

Even though we lost, at least the Ranger bats woke up last night. I think that is all the Rangers needed was to get the bats going, if they are hitting AND their backs are against the wall, then watch out. The Cardinals are going to have to hit every night from here on out. No more 3-2 wins, the bats are alive, now.

Cards' bats woke up too...and the officiating was garbage. Garbage.

Would someone please explain to me why they tried to steal a base with Pujols at the plate? And then went hit and run in the same situation later when they were down by 2?

I have no idea what was going on in the 7th--nor does anyone else from what I can tell. I think they were trying to avoid a double-play in the 9th.

All in all, I can't remember a more exasperating game to watch as a Cardinals fan.

Edited by wiegie

Would someone please explain to me why they tried to steal a base with Pujols at the plate? And then went hit and run in the same situation later when they were down by 2?

I guess you could say they were being aggressive...to me it was more like reckless...made no sense at all, especially in the 9th inning.

I guess you could say they were being aggressive...to me it was more like reckless...made no sense at all, especially in the 9th inning.

The 9th inning one makes sense when you consider how many double-plays Pujols has hit into this year. You would expect that if Pujols was going to swing, he would make contact. Since you had Holliday and Berkman coming up after Pujols, there was still a chance for a game-tying HR as long as Pujols only caused one out. I put this one on Pujols for swinging at a bad pitch.

The 7th inning hit-and-run attempt really makes no sense though. It seems that Pujols may have called it on his own rather than it coming from the bench. Or maybe Allen Craig missed a sign.

The 9th inning one makes sense when you consider how many double-plays Pujols has hit into this year. You would expect that if Pujols was going to swing, he would make contact. Since you had Holliday and Berkman coming up after Pujols, there was still a chance for a game-tying HR as long as Pujols only caused one out. I put this one on Pujols for swinging at a bad pitch.

The 7th inning hit-and-run attempt really makes no sense though. It seems that Pujols may have called it on his own rather than it coming from the bench. Or maybe Allen Craig missed a sign.

I'm not sure what you're talking about because the "earlier" mistake (not sure what inning) was when Craig just up and tried to steal 2nd with Pujols 2 pitches into an at bat. They caught him stealing, then proceeded to issue a walk to Pujols. Hell, even if he manages to steal the bag, you're still taking the bat out of Pujols' hands.

I was flipping back and forth to MNF (for some idiotic reason because that wasn't effing football, that was an abortion), so I didn't catch every inning.

I'm not sure what you're talking about because the "earlier" mistake (not sure what inning) was when Craig just up and tried to steal 2nd with Pujols 2 pitches into an at bat. They caught him stealing, then proceeded to issue a walk to Pujols. Hell, even if he manages to steal the bag, you're still taking the bat out of Pujols' hands.

I'm talking about the same thing you are talking about. Craig did not just up and try to steal the base. It was a failed hit-and-run attempt. Either Craig mis-interpreted a sign and thought somebody had called for a hit-and-run or else Pujols called for one on his own for some unknown reason.

I'm talking about the same thing you are talking about. Craig did not just up and try to steal the base. It was a failed hit-and-run attempt. Either Craig mis-interpreted a sign and thought somebody had called for a hit-and-run or else Pujols called for one on his own for some unknown reason.

My bad, I must not have been paying close enough attention.

La Russa said a hit-and-run with Craig on first in the seventh inning was called by Pujols himself, who is empowered by the manager to call that play on his own.

"When you have a player that really understands the game, that player gets a lot of leeway and ability to be involved, based on how he's reading what's going on," the manager said.

"Albert has the ability on this club for several years to put a hit-and-run on."

In this case, La Russa said he thought Pujols made a bad choice. "He picked a 1-0 pitch, (Alexi) Ogando threw it out of the strike zone, and it didn't work," he said.

The pitch was way high and away and Pujols could not reach it. Craig was easily thrown out at second base.

La Russa said he put Craig in motion in the ninth inning to stay out of a possible double play.

"Give them credit. They threw that very nasty fastball," he said about Neftali Feliz's pitch that moved away from Pujols, who swung and missed before catcher Mike Napoli gunned out Craig at second for a strike-out/throw-out double play.