[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

premium unleaded

Scooby

I wasnt sure if this was ever discussed here and I did a quick search but didnt see anything. I know there's quite a few car buffs here, so this is my question. My owners manual states "premium recommended" but the gas tank door states "premium required" I have a mom car (leased), not out drag racing--only by appointment;) I remember the salesman telling me regular unleaded is fine but I'm not sure. Would going premium help with fuel efficiency? Seems like I have to refuel a lot more lately and driving the same amount as any other point in time since I got this car in 2009. Have I damaged the car by using regular? TIA for input

My last car required 91 octane, but we only have 89 & 93. For quite awhile I used to switch every other fillup between the two.

From what I understand, the newer cars will adjust themselves via the computer to whatever you put in. I'm pretty sure it won't hurt the car, as the old "engine knocking" did when cars couldn't adjust themselves. That said the lower octane will cause lower performance and MPG, but probably not enough to warrant paying the price difference. BTW...what is the cost difference by you?

When you think about it, an extra $0.20 a gallon comes out to probably around and extra $3.00 a fill up every time you get gas (depending on the size of your tank) and only $1.50 if you get mid-grade. It's really not that much money. I find it hilarious when people drive miles out of their way to go to a gas station that charges a few pennies less a gallon. What are they saving....$0.30 at best. It's just not worth the hassle. I just get the premium gas at the nearest gas station.

regular $3.31

mid $3.41

prem $3.51

at the place I just visited today

What are the octane reqs for the car? They usually don't just say Premium as it varies.

What are the octane #'s for the Mid and Prem above?

manual reads 91 octane "recommended"

Yup...Same as my old Subie! And not sure about TX, but here it's 87,89,93 octane. Just don't put biofuel in it.

If the other levels are 89 & 93 respectively, just do one w/ 93 and the next w/ 91, and so on. If you can't remember what you did last, no worries, just start over. Waiting on Tbimm for the definative answer, but either one should be fine, but as DS said the price diff. is/should not be a big deal.

IIRC, some higher end makes (Mercedes?) will invalidate a warranty if you use the cheap stuff.

OTOH I think many cars (not high end per se) actually say you should NOT use anything but low octane. Not sure but I have not used anything else in a long time as I never noticed a diff.

Edited by BeeR

My wife's Acura will throw a check engine code if you put mid-grade in it. It likes premium and premium only. :wacko:

Yeah, you have to be careful with those things. I've talked to people about this and you can get away with it on some models but other cars will perform badly and it's bad for the car.

Does the mid grade have any ethanol?

Most fuel here in Cali has ethanol it - it's labeled as such anyway.

My old Tahoe throws a code if I put anything but Chevron in it - just regular 85-87 grade. This is true in CA, WA or OR. :wacko:

You can get away with lower octane if you don't notice a difference, i.e. knocking. Most vehicle's computers adjust and you just get less horsepower and MPG. I usually use premium 91+ octane as recommended, but ofter use 87 or 89 if I am feeling cheap, knowing full well that I am likely only saving less than $3 for the fill up. I have never noticed a difference in performance on my 10 year old SUV that "recommends" premium.