[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Considering IDP for 2012

We're considering IDP in our league next year, and I'd like to hear feedback from those who play in IDP leagues on what kind of standard player distribution you use, and how point systems generally work (if not standard, what is ESPN's standard?).

How many DLs/LBs/DBs start? How many extra bench spots are provided? How does general draft strategy differ from a normal redraft?

At a minimum I'd say 2/2/2 and a flex but 3/3/3/flex would be better. Full 11 is ideal IMO

scoring depends on what you prefer. I can post examples when I'm off my phone

No idea about ESPN defaults

if you go IDP make them matter. Most default scoring for them is to low. make it relative to your other positions. I strongly suggest a line up like this.....1DT 2DE 2LB 2CB 2S 1DT/LB 1LB/CB/S this gives you the flexibility to start different formations 3-4 4-3 even nickel and allows you to handle injuries and bye weeks a little better. figure out the average points you want these positions to score and adjust the scoring for each position to get there. If you just set a blanket scoring for all your IDP then DT will be worthless. separate scoring for each position is really the way to go.

Here are links to two of our leagues with really good IDP scoring..remember it is relative to the offensive scoring for our league and might not fit exactly with your league. Should still give you a good general idea though.

http://football33.myfantasyleague.com/2011...=25014&O=09

and this one has the best scoring of any league i have ever been associated with.

http://football17.myfantasyleague.com/2011...2032&O=09#0

hope this helped. good luck

We're considering IDP in our league next year, and I'd like to hear feedback from those who play in IDP leagues on what kind of standard player distribution you use, and how point systems generally work (if not standard, what is ESPN's standard?).

How many DLs/LBs/DBs start? How many extra bench spots are provided? How does general draft strategy differ from a normal redraft?

Here's the IDP set up in my leagues:

We start 5 IDP's each week (in addition to a defensive team): 2 LBs, 2 DBs and one DL.

On average, the 6 starting defensive positions (5 IDPs + defensive team) yield about 50 points per week using the scoring below. We also start QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, FLEX ( one of WR/RB/TE) and K. So that's 9 offensive positions + 6 defensive positions. Defensive points account for about 40% of the total each week. The average IDP using the scoring system below scores 7.5 pts/week. High scores would be 12+. Rarely do you see anything over 17. Defensive team scoring can be low to high (i.e. Baltimore last week was off the charts. - 30+ pts thanks to Schittenheimer, jr, Mark Sanchez and a woeful Jets OL).

IDP Scoring (which is slightly diff't from team defense scoring):

Defensive TD (INT return or fumble return) - 6 pts

Tackles - 1pt

Assists - 0.5 pt

INTs - 3 pts

Pass defended - 2 pts

Forced Fumbles - 3 pts

Fumble recovery - 2 pts

blocked kicks/punts - 2 pts

safety - 4 pts

A spectacular game changing play, such as a strip-sack picked up by the same player and run in for a TD would be 3 (sack) + 3 (FF) + 2 (FR) + 6 (TD) = 14 pts for that player for that play. 14 points for a game changing play is reasonable. Equivalent to a WR catching an 80 yard pass for a TD or back breaking an 80 yd TD run. A DB or LB who gets a pick 6 would get 9 points for that play. That's the equivalent of a 30 yard TD catch or TD run. We like the scoring system above a lot.

Edited by Dcat

I would suggest you go with a tackle heavy or tackle neutral scoring format...the format we use for huddle articles is probably considered tackle heavy....like others have suggested go with more rather than fewer starters...IDP positions are deep for the most part and if you only start say 1 at a position it would be the equivalent if not worse than starting just 1 WR weekly....the WW would be littered with top options and that removes a ton of strategy, at least imo.