[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ESPN Yanks Hank Williams

BillyBalata

Hank said some REALLY stupid stuff. Just like Mendenhall, he deserves to suffer the consequences of saying REALLY stupid stuff. I just wish this kind of attitude had been prevelant a few years ago, though I suppose having half of Hollywood shut down due to 'disassociation' would have been less than optimal.

he gets 5 troll points from me....and I loved the uncomfortable silence too....

TROLLINN'!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hitler is an end all.

You cannot use his name pretty much in any way publicly and certainly not as a comparison.

In a discussion, once Hitler's name is brought up it means the conversation is over and irrational thought and name calling are on their way.

Unless you're Lou Holtz. Then ESPN doesn't care.

He didn't call Obama Hitler. He was using a metaphor to compare the meeting between Obama and Boehner to show a comparison. Typical media blowing things way out of proportion. Just like when they toasted Rush for saying that McNabb sucked. Five years later we know Rush is correct.

did you watch or listen to the clip?

Here's the actual video of his comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...;v=1eF6vCv13bw#!

I think as a business ESPN has to disassociate itself from anyone who calls the president and vice-president "the enemy".

guy's a moron. hopefully espn just used this blathering blunder as a pretense to finally get rid of that dumb song.

in any case, please spare the faux-outrage over calling political opponents "enemies". the president sorta set that tone himself, wouldn't you say?

Sounded like a one-game suspension, but we'll see. I'm sure there's stuff going on behind the scenes and we'll see if ESPN is looking for Hank to make some sort of apology, or if Hank is ticked off they'd grandstand him like that. I'm sure we'll find out in a couple of days.

The move is so cheesily symbolic though, it's not like anyone that hadn't heard about this story turned on the game and said 'Hank's not doing the open for MNF, I'm not watching now!' ESPN assumed zero risk by making the move, so it's more of a noisy publicity stunt than anything serious.

Not that I'm a fan, but Kid Rock seems like he would be a perfect guy to replace Hank with the MNF intro song.

How about just the original intro theme and then straight to business with none of the other superfluous bulltaco? burrito Hank, burrito Kid Rock & definitely burrito Faith. :wacko:

DMD I believe the thing you refer to is called the "Godwin Complex" or some such stupid BS. It is ridiculous.
It's actually Godwin's Law:

It states: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1." In other words, Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably criticizes some point made in the discussion by comparing it to beliefs held by Hitler and the Nazis.

1) I think that song and opening is about as lame as you'll find.

2) Dude made it abundantly clear that he is not only an idiot, but an idiot who thinks he's a genius. Which is a particularly annoying combo

3) I have no freaking idea why one has to have anything to do with the other or why we should care.

Here's an idea: Don't worry about it. Did any of us have any reason to believe that Hank Jr was anything other than what he's illustrated he apparently is, based on his MNF intros? Are you shocked? Puzzled?

I don't know about everyone else, but he seemed like a dumb-ass redneck in those intros and, well, seems like an dumb-ass redneck in that interview. So I'm about as shocked or surprised by this all as I am by the sun rising each day.

4) The pageantry around MNF is the most over-rated chight going. Who's in the booth, what's the half-time show, the effing intro. When the game is good, and/or I've got a FF battle in the balance, I watch, regardless of how bad the crew or special effects are. If the game sucks and I've got no juice going, it would basically take frequent shots of hot naked women going at each other to keep me from turning it off. There's not a broadcasting crew or rad TV stunts out there that will keep me watching.

He didn't call Obama Hitler. He was using a metaphor to compare the meeting between Obama and Boehner to show a comparison. Typical media blowing things way out of proportion. Just like when they toasted Rush for saying that McNabb sucked. Five years later we know Rush is correct.

Who can forget Howard Cosell's "little monkey" comments? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVScwog05Xw Hank Williams Jr. should know better, but IMO he really isn't that smart and has proven it. Nothing to see here, but it is interesting to watch has-been entertainers like Tony Bennett implode and then try and back peddle. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/20/t...1_n_971972.html IMO ESPN did the right thing and we can move on to a new intro.