[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

ESPN Yanks Hank Williams

BillyBalata

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision," he wrote. "By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It's been a great run."
Sorry Hank. The first amendment only applies towards government censoring. Private corporations are (usually) free to can your ass as a reaction to something you say.

Here's the actual video of his comments:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...;v=1eF6vCv13bw#!

I think as a business ESPN has to disassociate itself from anyone who calls the president and vice-president "the enemy".

Yep. "The enemy" comment is the real problem, not the Hitler comment. As usual the media pounced on the wrong thing.

Stupid ... ESPN bending over backwards to be politically correct when 95% of the people who watch MNF wouldn't have even known about the statement without ESPN making a big production out of it. Nobody cared.

Hank Williams is an iconic face of MNF. When high profile people working for a high profile company refer to the POTUS as an "enemy," it's an unfortunate black eye for said company that can have a direct effect on the bottom line. What you refer to as political correctness is what others' would call a smart business decision. The only thing stupid here is Hank, he had the easiest job in the world and then when he lost it, he starts whining about constitutional rights to make himself seem like an even bigger moran.

Hank Williams is an iconic face of MNF. When high profile people working for a high profile company refer to the POTUS as an "enemy," it's an unfortunate black eye for said company that can have a direct effect on the bottom line. What you refer to as political correctness is what others' would call a smart business decision. The only thing stupid here is Hank, he had the easiest job in the world and then when he lost it, he starts whining about constitutional rights to make himself seem like an even bigger moran.

It is silliness and two-faced. The ENTIRE media spent all of Bush's term telling the world what an idiot he was - you think that calling the President an idiot is better than referring to him as the enemy.

I suspect that many Republicans feel like Obama is the enemy just as many Democrats felt like Bush was the enemy - the enemy in that their philosophy is different and threatens that particular groups America.

Again ... political correct silliness.

:wacko: Imagine if a player said something like this. The media would have blown it up even more. And like sheep reacting to an emotional switch, you knee jerkers against players would be in full force to agree. It will include talk of how much money they make, why I wouldn't want my doctor saying that before he operates on me, etc.

Maybe we can get Tony Bennet to do something for the opening, or the Dixie Chicks.

I know, we could get jessica Simpson to do an opening. I am fairly confident she has no poitical opinions.

How about Selena Gomez. She is growing up nice. I wouldn't mind watching her do something over the next ten years or so and she would appeal to the younger demographic and the dirty old man demographic.

It is silliness and two-faced. The ENTIRE media spent all of Bush's term telling the world what an idiot he was - you think that calling the President an idiot is better than referring to him as the enemy.

I suspect that many Republicans feel like Obama is the enemy just as many Democrats felt like Bush was the enemy - the enemy in that their philosophy is different and threatens that particular groups America.

Again ... political correct silliness.

:wacko: Since the media told the world Bush was an idiot, it really meant enemy, so Hank shouldn't have been fired because it's political correctness. I've seen some giant leaps of justification and logic before at the huddle, but the above is pretty special.

What I find most amusing about this entire episode is that Fox & Friends would ask Hank Williams Jr. to come on to get his political opinion in the first place. :wacko:

Fox & Friends should be embarassed for scraping the bottom of the celebrity barrel for this interview.

ESPN should be embarassed for thinking that any of us really care enough about what he has to say that they need to fire him over it.

Hank Williams Jr. should be embarassed for milking an image of being drunk and stupid for at least the past 3 decades.

What I find most amusing about this entire episode is that Fox & Friends would ask Hank Williams Jr. to come on to get his political opinion in the first place. :tup:

Fox & Friends should be embarassed for scraping the bottom of the celebrity barrel for this interview.

ESPN should be embarassed for thinking that any of us really care enough about what he has to say that they need to fire him over it.

Hank Williams Jr. should be embarassed for milking an image of being drunk and stupid for at least the past 3 decades.

Um . . . I think Hank Williams Jr. is running for elected office as a Republican . . . the Republican nominee thing means automatic air time for the candidate . . . :wacko:

Um . . . I think Hank Williams Jr. is running for elected office as a Republican . . . the Republican nominee thing means automatic air time for the candidate . . . :wacko:

Is he seriously? :lol:

Well this is what we get I guess when establishment Republicans elites refuse to act fiscally conservative. :tup:

Is he seriously? :tup:

Well this is what we get I guess when establishment Republicans elites refuse to act fiscally conservative. :wacko:

Are You Ready For Some Politics! Hank Williams Jr. Will Run For Senate In 2012.

READ MORE: NFL

by 100%InjuryRate more posts by author 913 I'm sure you know who Hank Williams Jr. is. He's the guy that's sung the opening to Monday Night Football for years now. I guess he's also a country music star, but seeing as country music and I are like oil and water, I can't really confirm that.

Anyway, Williams has apparently decided that he's a runnin' for the Senate as a Republican in 2012 in the state of Tennessee. You may or may not remember that he sang a song during the McCain/Palin campaign called "The McCain/Palin Tradition" which begins with a shot at the “left-wing liberal media” which “most of the American people don’t believe.”

Williams apparently sought advice from Sen. Lamar Alexander and former Sen. Bill Frist before announcing his decision.

By the way, you may also remember that Williams sang a song called "Cadillac P*ssy" with Kid Rock on Rock's 2003 live album. Here's a sample of the chorus Williams sings.

She had some Cadillac p*ssy

Some Cadillac p*ssy

Man it would drive you wild

I wonder if Frist and Alexander knew about that song before they gave Hank some advice. But it's ok, I'm sure there's no way in a million years that song will be dragged out and used against Williams during his campaign.

Let's just pray we're not subjected to Hank using the MNF theme in any way shape or form during his run for office.

"Are you ready for some campaigning!"

:lol: