[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Oh, I ate!

Big F'n Dave

My New Orleans food synopsis:

Mahony's Po Boys - Actually saw this place featured on DDD on the Food Network last week and thought we'd give it a try when we rolled in Friday afternoon. Had The Peacemaker - bacon and fried oysters (dressed, of course). The wife had grilled shrimp with fried green tomatoes and remoulade sauce. Good bread and a nice Abita selection, but the sandwiches were just average. Hers was better than mine, but I'd still take a Ferdi's special from Mother's or a roast beef from Domilise's if given the choice.

Louisiana Bistro - A buddy of mine in Lakeview loves this place and it was rated number one for a time on Trip Adviser, so we made reservations for Friday dinner. We were advised to try the "Feed Me" menu and chose the four-course option. Chef Mars (that's his whole name) came to the table and asked if we had any allergies or if there was anything we wouldn't try. The only thing we weren't interested in were sweetbreads (I've never tried them and I've no real curiosity to do so). He actually seemed a little disappointed, but told us to relax and enjoy what he came up with.

First course - Crawfish Beignets. Just what it sounds like. Fried bread with crawfish served on a lemon beurre blanc and streaked with a cayenne gastrique. Great appetizer. Nothing subtle, but not as harsh as the description sounds. There was definite heat, but nothing to kill the flavors. It became apparent at this point that there was no way we'd be able to finish four courses, so I asked the waiter to have Chef Mars drop one of the dishes.

Second course - Black Pepper Grilled Quail - Probably my favorite dish of the weekend. Black pepper crusted quail with Southern-style bacon fried greens in pot liquor and jalapeño hollandaise sauce. Absolutely delicious. The quail was perfectly cooked and the greens were better than my mom makes. That's as high praise as I can give anything.

Final course - 12-Hour Braised Buffalo Short Ribs - The waiter brought a knife, but he needn't have bothered. The meat was served with what Chef called a bastardized barbeque sauce and it fell of the bone when you looked at it. Served on a bed of creamy garlic mashed potatoes. A fantastic final course.

We had a little room left and shared a white chocolate bread pudding. Solid, but nothing spectacular.

We always stay in a little boutique hotel in the Lower Garden District about a half-block off St. Charles Avenue. About a 45 second walk away is a combo Asian place called Hoshun and a little pizzeria, Slice. We actually hit both of these places twice. Late night sushi and sake Saturday after a show at Tipitina's and Sunday after the monumental beatdown my beloved Saints put on the hapless Colts. A couple slices of Andouille & Shrimp pie at Slice Saturday afternoon and pre-game Sunday.

Commander's Palace - Booked reservations for Sunday brunch at Commander's and could not have been more pleased. Opened with a Bloody Mary to shake loose the cobwebs from a late Saturday night. Maybe it was the hangover or maybe it was the Finlandia, but I've never tasted a better Bloody Mary.

Appetizer - Truffled Blue Crab and Eggs - Champagne poached jumbo lump crab meat, local soy beans, bruleed shallots and soft scrambled eggs with white truffle butter. Bitch, please.

Entree - Dry Aged Duck Cassoulet - Braised Muscovy duck hash cakes with creamy bacon and andouille white beans, soft-poached hen's eggs and foie gras hollandaise. Absolutely perfect.

Dessert - Creole Bread Pudding Souffle with warm whiskey cream sauce added tableside. The dessert by which all others should be measured. Ask anyone who's tried it.

Now, I gotta do a sit-up. :wacko:

Edited by Big F'n Dave
  • Like 1

Prytania Park Hotel?

That's the place. Super rates, free parking and convenient to everything we like to do. Not five star accommodations, but it's not like we're gonna spend a lot of time there anyway.

That's the place. Super rates, free parking and convenient to everything we like to do. Not five star accommodations, but it's not like we're gonna spend a lot of time there anyway.

We love that place, it's our little hidden gem when we stay down there. I don't recommend it to people because I don't want their rates to go up. :wacko:

We stayed there for 3 nights last July and paid a little over $200.

We love that place, it's our little hidden gem when we stay down there. I don't recommend it to people because I don't want their rates to go up. :wacko:

We stayed there for 3 nights last July and paid a little over $200.

Yeah, it's the only place we stay anymore. Just made reservations for New Year's weekend for $139 a night. Never done NY in NOLA. Looking forward to it!

Yeah, it's the only place we stay anymore. Just made reservations for New Year's weekend for $139 a night. Never done NY in NOLA. Looking forward to it!

You'll have a blast - back in the single days we all did the millennium new years down there. Brought in the New Year with Cowboy Mouth and two women attached to my tongue. :tup:

I miss those days. :wacko::lol:

Commander's Palace - Booked reservations for Sunday brunch at Commander's and could not have been more pleased. Opened with a Bloody Mary to shake loose the cobwebs from a late Saturday night. Maybe it was the hangover or maybe it was the Finlandia, but I've never tasted a better Bloody Mary.

Appetizer - Truffled Blue Crab and Eggs - Champagne poached jumbo lump crab meat, local soy beans, bruleed shallots and soft scrambled eggs with white truffle butter. Bitch, please.

Entree - Dry Aged Duck Cassoulet - Braised Muscovy duck hash cakes with creamy bacon and andouille white beans, soft-poached hen's eggs and foie gras hollandaise. Absolutely perfect.

Dessert - Creole Bread Pudding Souffle with warm whiskey cream sauce added tableside. The dessert by which all others should be measured. Ask anyone who's tried it

Awesome!! :wacko:

I agree 100000% on the bread pudding. Absolutely not to be missed if you go there! Last time I was there I had a blackened redfish with crayfish . . . simply outstanding place.

You'll have a blast - back in the single days we all did the millennium new years down there. Brought in the New Year with Cowboy Mouth and two women attached to my tongue. :tup:

I miss those days. :wacko::lol:

:rofl:

At Tipitina's?

I was at that same concert drinking champagne off some chicks cleavage.

I remember you could go up to the bar and they would give you like three bottles of champagne and a half a case of beer.

The way we were......

Edited by Dutch Oven

:wacko:

At Tipitina's?

I was at that same concert drinking champagne off some chicks cleavage.

I remember you could go up to the bar and they would give you like three bottles of champagne and a half a case of beer.

The way we were......

Exactly - it was ridiculous. My buddy went up to get some champagne and came back with 3 boxes of it. :tup: