[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Championship Game

SLAYER

i'll just leave it as

BORING

and i hope to never see a game like that again

bring on a offense....please...

Bama won a game 12-10 during their national title season, but that didn't prevent them from hanging 37 on Texas in the BCS title game. SEC defense is a different animal.

Not quite the same. Georgia did not lose in OT to the #1 ranked team. We are also talking re-match.

Maybe I should have used the AND.. as in, and a precedent has been set.

My point is still valid though. You can't play for the National Championship if your not even good enough to play for your Conference Championship.

I can see where many might see the game as boring (as we've become accustom to the spread offenses and high scoring games), but I enjoyed watching two of the best defenses I've seen in a while bang heads and fail to give in to the other.

I think Herbstriet summed it up best in the post game coverage by intimating that these defenses made the offenses look mediocre and that they could do the same with just about any offense out there. He went on to say that these games are won in the trenches ,and right now, the SEC teams are just better in this area ... on both sides of the ball.

Edited by millerx

I think both teams played "not to lose" and thought if they keep it close and do not get blown out....they may get a shot at a re-match for te NCG?? Field position was big all night, not many chances taken down field at all...BAMA has given up double digits in scoring 3x in 9 games....not bad to get the W scoring only 9!!

LSU 40 - Oregon 27

LSU 49 - NWestern St 3

LSU 19 - MIss St 6

LSU 47 - W Virginia 21

LSU 35 - Kentucky 7

LSU 41 - Florida 11

LSU 45 - Auburn 10

AL 48 - Kent St 7

AL 27 - Penn St 11

AL 41 - N Texas 0

AL 38 - Arkansas 14

AL 38 - Florida 10

AL 34 - Vandy 0

AL 52 - Ole Miss 7

AL 37 - Tenn 6

It appears that for the most part, neither LSU nor Alabama had difficulty putting up points until they faced each other. I wonder why both of their offenses suddenly became "mediocre?"

ugh - stellar defenses + offenses out of the dark ages - sorry both LSU aren't locks over anyone. Talent is off the charts on defense, the offenses are pathetic.

The QB play was atrocious on both sides and I think Okie St, Stan would pose some serious problems. No one in the SEC is close to Weeden or Luck. LSU would be the favorite over either, but I really don't want to see Bama/LSU again..........

ETA - An Oregon/LSU rematch is actually more attractive - Ducks F Thomas fumbled twice to blow upen a 16-13 game..........

Edited by wildcat2334

Like Unta said, neither team had trouble scoring until they faced each other, so let's relax with the comments about how bad these offenses are. :wacko: I do think both teams played not to lose (or to not make mistakes), which is probably a pretty big indicator of the lack of confidence in either side's QB position, but there's still plenty of talent on offense, for both teams.

That said, I think it's about time we see Mr. Luck face one of these defenses (if Stanford is able to win out). That would be far more interesting, to me, than a rematch of an SEC conference matchup. Not interested in Okie State, either (the lack of defense in their game yesterday was far more obvious to me than a lack of offense in LSU-Bama).

Like Unta said, neither team had trouble scoring until they faced each other, so let's relax with the comments about how bad these offenses are. :wacko: I do think both teams played not to lose (or to not make mistakes), which is probably a pretty big indicator of the lack of confidence in either side's QB position, but there's still plenty of talent on offense, for both teams.

That said, I think it's about time we see Mr. Luck face one of these defenses (if Stanford is able to win out). That would be far more interesting, to me, than a rematch of an SEC conference matchup. Not interested in Okie State, either (the lack of defense in their game yesterday was far more obvious to me than a lack of offense in LSU-Bama).

I can understsand people not wanting to see a re-match, but please don't ever say you want to see a playoff in college football.

If a playoff were in place today there is no doubt LSU and Alabama would be huge favoirites to meet again.

And for those who found the game boring. My guess is that you also find 1-0 extra inning baseball games boring as well. Not that there is anything wrong with that...it just shows you do not apprecate good pitching and defense.

I agree with Herbstriet that watching that LSU/BAMA defensive game was alot more entertaining to watch than two teams like Illinois vs Penn State

Edited by Rockerbraves

I can understsand people not wanting to see a re-match, but please don't ever say you want to see a playoff in college football.

If a playoff were in place today there is no doubt LSU and Alabama would be huge favoirites to meet again.

Not to mention this game wouldn't have meant squat, because in a hypothetical playoff system both of them would be locks to make in. As it is, the regular season becomes the playoffs and we get to see the importance of games like these throughout the year. And I'll say it again, they shouldn't have a rematch because only one of them can win their conference chanpionship.

Not to mention this game wouldn't have meant squat, because in a hypothetical playoff system both of them would be locks to make in. As it is, the regular season becomes the playoffs and we get to see the importance of games like these throughout the year. And I'll say it again, they shouldn't have a rematch because only one of them can win their conference chanpionship.

couldn't disagree more. Pure nonsense

Bama/LSU is still a meaningful game with a +1, 4 , 8 team playoff.

these teams play 12 game sched's - they are meaningful. There isn't a downside to a playoff- none, zip zero.

In the current format I don't want a rematch, if Bama earned a rematch in a playoff - that is a diff story and I would be on board.

couldn't disagree more. Pure nonsense

Bama/LSU is still a meaningful game with a +1, 4 , 8 team playoff.

these teams play 12 game sched's - they are meaningful. There isn't a downside to a playoff- none, zip zero.

In the current format I don't want a rematch, if Bama earned a rematch in a playoff - that is a diff story and I would be on board.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not 100% against a playoff system, but my point was based off of what they are currently using for division 1-AA or whatever verbage they changed it to (FCS, I think) where 16 teams make it in. If it were only a +1 or a 4 team playoff, it's a little different...

But, IMHO, at least a 16 team playoff would be the only true way to make playoff, a legitimate playoff.

ETA: my last statement should read " at least an 8 or a 16 team playoff would be the only true way to make playoff, a legitimate playoff

Edited by millerx

Not in favor of a re-match myself because it would actually be abit unfair to ask LSU to play a team they already beat that gets to sit at home while LSU is forced to win an extra game in the SEC Championship game.

However I do think Bama is the 2nd best team in college football. :wacko:

Edited by Rockerbraves

And for those who found the game boring. My guess is that you also find 1-0 extra inning baseball games boring as well. Not that there is anything wrong with that...it just shows you do not apprecate good pitching and defense.

I agree with Herbstriet that watching that LSU/BAMA defensive game was alot more entertaining to watch than two teams like Illinois vs Penn State

Those aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think the "no rematch" camp would be opposed to a rematch, provided both teams earned the right to be there by virtue of making it through a play-off. They just don't want to see a re-match given our current, stupid format at the exclusion of another elite team.

As for Millerx, I think 16 is either too many or right at the edge. Certainly too many for the "a playoff cheapens the regular season" camp. Also, when was the last time anyone wondered whether or not the 16th ranked team might be the best in the country? Never.

I understand that, wherever you drawn the line, someone is going to feel left out. But that doesn't mean they have a legit claim to being the best team in the country. I think, realistically, that line happens right around team #8. And anyone outside #8 has nobody to blame but themselves. Currently, teams could have done everything in their power to get a shot at the NC and still get left out.

I think an 8 team play-off would be perfect. First round is a home game for the top 4 seeds (which means the regular season is still huge). Semis are neutral field games on Jan 1. Finals are a neutral field game a week later.

This answers the complaint about asking a fan base to travel a bunch. First round, the travelling team won't get that many tickets. Second round is no different than asking a team to travel for a bowl game, and the NC game is going to end up like the SB, where there's a ton of people who have no affiliation to the teams and just want to be there.

Not in favor of a re-match myself because it would actually be abit unfair to ask LSU to play a team they already beat that gets to sit at home while LSU is forced to win an extra game in the SEC Championship game.

However I do think Bama is the 2nd best team in college football. :wacko:

tought to say. Oregon moved the ball well against LSU, and had turnover issues - otherwise that is a toss-up. I personally would like an Oregon/LSU matchup over a Bama/LSU ,matchup.....

we could be heading for another cluster. OU beats Okie St, and Oregon beats Stan.....

just another year when even a 4 team playoff would be sick:

(not counting Boise bc they are done and will be jumped by IL teams from here on out)

LSU

Bama

Oregon/Stan

OKL/Okie State

At this point LSU/Stan would be the best matchup but to be honest I don't know if they get by Oregon

Those aren't mutually exclusive. I don't think the "no rematch" camp would be opposed to a rematch, provided both teams earned the right to be there by virtue of making it through a play-off. They just don't want to see a re-match given our current, stupid format at the exclusion of another elite team.

Don't want to start the whole debate again about whether or not a playoff is good or bad for college football, however I did want to make a comment. LOL.

We saw it again just a few weeks ago in the MLB World Series. A team who honestly had no business in the playoffs winning it all.

Yeah it might be great for TV revenue and home attendance leading up to the finals, but who really could get too excited about watching that series? Unless of course you were a Cardinal fan.

And even my favorite NFL team the New Orleans Saints are losing my attention lately during the rgular season. No game seems that important any more. They seem to just be going thru the motions waiting to get to a meaningful game while LSU has a meaningful home game this weekend even against a team the caliber of Western Kentucky.

tought to say. Oregon moved the ball well against LSU, and had turnover issues - otherwise that is a toss-up. I personally would like an Oregon/LSU matchup over a Bama/LSU ,matchup.....

we could be heading for another cluster. OU beats Okie St, and Oregon beats Stan.....

just another year when even a 4 team playoff would be sick:

(not counting Boise bc they are done and will be jumped by IL teams from here on out)

LSU

Bama

Oregon/Stan

OKL/Okie State

At this point LSU/Stan would be the best matchup but to be honest I don't know if they get by Oregon

If Stanfordremains undefeated they get my vote for an invite to the BCS NC game.

Don't want to start the whole debate again about whether or not a playoff is good or bad for college football, however I did want to make a comment. LOL.

We saw it again just a few weeks ago in the MLB World Series. A team who honestly had no business in the playoffs winning it all.

Yeah it might be great for TV revenue and home attendance leading up to the finals, but who really could get too excited about watching that series? Unless of course you were a Cardinal fan.

And even my favorite NFL team the New Orleans Saints are losing my attention lately during the rgular season. No game seems that important any more. They seem to just be going thru the motions waiting to get to a meaningful game while LSU has a meaningful home game this weekend even against a team the caliber of Western Kentucky.

Actually, I loved the baseball post season. I don't watch much of the regular season because it's so damned long, but I thought the play-offs and WS were appointment TV. My wife, who almost never sits down with me to watch any sports was asking, "Is there a baseball game on tonight?"

It didn't hurt that it was also yet another real life example that the argument that baseball sucks and we always know who's going to win it based on how much they pay is essentially a worthless argument. The 8 teams who made the post season included two of the highest payrolls, two of the lowest, and four in the middle 1/3. The highest and lowest all got knocked off and it was up to two teams with middle of the pack payrolls left standing.

I'm just guessing you're pissed because your Braves tanked down the stretch. St. Louis earned their spot by chasing down ATL and then by winning 3 series. Oh, and I'm not a Cardinal fan. My team won it all last year but didn't make the big dance.

At any rate, by going to an 8 team play-off, that gives your team one, maybe two games you can afford to lose (but if you lose 2, you're truly at the mercy of the polls). Assuming, of course, that you've got an impressive resume otherwise. That hardly makes it anything like the NFL in that regard. You're still talking about 8 out of over 100 teams rather than 12 out of 32. And, again, with an 8 team play-off, 4 teams get home games the first round, which is huge.

At any rate, by going to an 8 team play-off, that gives your team one, maybe two games you can afford to lose (but if you lose 2, you're truly at the mercy of the polls). Assuming, of course, that you've got an impressive resume otherwise. That hardly makes it anything like the NFL in that regard. You're still talking about 8 out of over 100 teams rather than 12 out of 32. And, again, with an 8 team play-off, 4 teams get home games the first round, which is huge.

LIke I said, don't want to debate this playoff topic again. Just ticked at how lackluster my Saints are playing this season. And to think they are probably still one of the favorites to win it all this year pretty much says it all. :wacko:

LIke I said, don't want to debate this playoff topic again. Just ticked at how lackluster my Saints are playing this season. And to think they are probably still one of the favorites to win it all this year pretty much says it all. :wacko:

The Saints are in a big pool of decent teams lined up behind the Packers who "have a chance".

Not sure where you're headed with this, other than to create a straw man argument to defend your antiquated system.

The Saints are in a big pool of decent teams lined up behind the Packers who "have a chance".

Not sure where you're headed with this, other than to create a straw man argument to defend your antiquated system.

I think all of us on the board are probably old enough to remember the old Bowl Coalition - where conferences were locked into certain bowl games and we didn't get to see the top two teams play each other (PSU/Nebraska in 95 for example.)

The system we have now is better than any we have ever had. I'm ok with it.

Oregon would get manhandled again by LSU and so would Stanford or Oklahoma St. Bama may not deserve a rematch but they are the only team who has a shot at beating LSU imo

While I tend to agree my feeling is that Bama had their chance, at home, to defeat LSU. This talk is very similar to 2006 when many were calling for an Ohio State - Michigan rematch.

While I tend to agree my feeling is that Bama had their chance, at home, to defeat LSU. This talk is very similar to 2006 when many were calling for an Ohio State - Michigan rematch.

naw - LSU/Bama are on a completely different level than OSU/MIch - those teams were frauds in a bad Big 10 that played no one out of conference. the LSU win over Oregon is as good as it gets non conference. the SEC, especially the SEC West is loaded.

I agree with most those probably are the 2 best teams in the country - fwiw my top 5

The LSU/Oregon game was a loong time ago - the Ducks turned the ball over 4 times, and a 16-13 game was blown wide open.

I think Oregon beats Stanford this wknd

My top 5

LSU

Bama

Oregon

Okie St.

Stan

naw - LSU/Bama are on a completely different level than OSU/MIch - those teams were frauds in a bad Big 10 that played no one out of conference. the LSU win over Oregon is as good as it gets non conference. the SEC, especially the SEC West is loaded.

I agree with most those probably are the 2 best teams in the country - fwiw my top 5

The LSU/Oregon game was a loong time ago - the Ducks turned the ball over 4 times, and a 16-13 game was blown wide open.

I think Oregon beats Stanford this wknd

My top 5

LSU

Bama

Oregon

Okie St.

Stan

Here are the bowl matchups I wanna see:

LSU - Stanford

Oregon-Okie St.

Bama - Boise

I agree with most those probably are the 2 best teams in the country

And in one of those rare instances, I agree with you.

However, I don't think a rematch will happen unless quite a few teams in the top 10 lose. I think if there was a playoff system in place, we'd likely see a rematch.

While I agree that LSU and Bama are more likely to be the two best teams than OSU and Michigan were back in '06, it doesn't change my opinion that a re-match is bad, unless that rematch is the result of play-off.

My issue with the OSU v Mich had almost everything to do with the fact that we'd already seen that game.

This is compounded further by the fact that Bama lost in their own house. Why do they deserve a shot on a neutral field now?

Edited by detlef