[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Child Abuse or Mind your Own Business?

i_am_the_swammi

I know different parts of the world (heck, even our country) have differing views on disciplining a child. Not sure what the standard is for crossing the line, but this seems awfully close to me. I found it very disturbing.

FWIW, the father is a County Judge in Texas who routinely presides over cases involving parents and their ability to raise children in safe environments. The 16-year-old daughter in this video taped the encounter because she knew she was in big trouble for....downloading games and music from the internet. I don't know the background....perhaps this is just one of a string of times she disobeyed her parents. Just hard for me to justify the end result seen in the video below.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I found equally as bad was that his wife came in for her turn to beat her as well, yelling at her to "roll over on your stomach and take the beating like a woman".

Is it so common a practice in some parts of the country that even the wife had no problem with it? I was spanked as a child when I did something seriously bad, but never beaten with a belt...though I know some of my friends were.

What I found equally as bad was that his wife came in for her turn to beat her as well, yelling at her to "roll over on your stomach and take the beating like a woman".

Is it so common a practice in some parts of the country that even the wife had no problem with it? I was spanked as a child when I did something seriously bad, but never beaten with a belt...though I know some of my friends were.

There's a reason these two f*cking pieces of sh*t found each other in the first place. Just perpetuating dysfunctional behavior and sheer ignorance likely passed down from both of their parents and their parents before them. Even when someone doesn't know any better, it's hard not to get really angry watching this. Couldn't even finish watching the video and I have no words except I'd like to see the same done to both of them.

What does he say when he goes back for more?

I didn't get my licks in

or

I didn't get my left hand

Either way, what a pathetic excuse to go back in and dish out even more abuse on top of the first wave. Not to mention to emotional abuse he was pouring on top of the physical abuse as he was swearing at her:

"You don't deserve to burritoing be in this house!"

"I ought to just keep beating you and beating you!"

CNN article on it

And here is the father's response to the outcry:

In an interview with KZTV outside his Rockport, Texas, home Wednesday, Adams confirmed to a reporter that he was the man beating his daughter with a belt on the video.

"She's mad because I've ordered her to bring the car back, in a nutshell, but yeah, that's me. I lost my temper," Adams told the station. "Her mother was there, she wasn't hurt ... it was a long time ago ... I really don't want to get into this right now because as you can see my life's been made very difficult over this child."

Adams continued: "In my mind I have not done anything wrong other than discipline my child when she was caught stealing. I did lose my temper, I've apologized. It looks worse than it is."

:wacko:

What does he say when he goes back for more?

I didn't get my licks in

or

I didn't get my left hand

Either way, what a pathetic excuse to go back in and dish out even more abuse on top of the first wave. Not to mention to emotional abuse he was pouring on top of the physical abuse as he was swearing at her:

"You don't deserve to burritoing be in this house!"

"I ought to just keep beating you and beating you!"

Dude, the layers and layers of effed-up-ness of this whole thing is mind boggling. But, yes, the bit about "I didn't get my licks in" stood out to me, among the rest of that horrific episode to be particularly messed up. Which says plenty.

I have never hit a living creature in my life (well, except for when there's a bat in the house, they deserve it).

I would gladly take this guy on, one on one, and even give him the first shot.

It happened 7 years ago when the girl was 16 years old. I'm assuming she has long since moved out.

Correct. She taped it knowing it would happen, but was reluctant to do anything with it for fear of what would happen to her (child services, foster home, etc.), and what would happen to her mother and sister at the hands of her father.

In the CNN article, she originally also blamed her mother for allowing it to happen, but has since reconciled. The mother and father divorced after 22 years of marriage in 2007, the wife citing his abuse and turning her into an abuser herself.

Disturbing to be sure.

However you feel about spanking (not judging...I think it has it's place), this is not a spanking. It's a beating. Not right.

+1

I was spanked as a kid and have spanked both of my kids a few times each, but that wasn't a spanking. That was a beating.

There is a huge difference between a spanking and a beating and what that girl is getting is straight up abusive (mental and physical) beating. I give that girl massive props for finally releasing that video. She is 22 now and according to Dr. Drew the fact that she released this video shows that she is activity involved in therapy and making great progress.

What disturbs me the most is the mother's involvement in it. Say what we will about fathers but being a mother is something that is far and beyond what we can understand or comprehend as males. We become fathers the moment our kids are born - a mother becomes a mother the moment she becomes pregnant (imo). If I am being honest (and opening myself up to all you tools to jump on me) it has to be an amazing thing to feel a new life grow inside of you. That biological bound that a mother has with a child is something I could never fully understand or appreciate and I've seen some amazing sh*t regarding mother intuition. To see a mother doing this to her own child makes me want to vomit.

There is a huge difference between a spanking and a beating and what that girl is getting is straight up abusive (mental and physical) beating. I give that girl massive props for finally releasing that video. She is 22 now and according to Dr. Drew the fact that she released this video shows that she is activity involved in therapy and making great progress.

What disturbs me the most is the mother's involvement in it. Say what we will about fathers but being a mother is something that is far and beyond what we can understand or comprehend as males. We become fathers the moment our kids are born - a mother becomes a mother the moment she becomes pregnant (imo). If I am being honest (and opening myself up to all you tools to jump on me) it has to be an amazing thing to feel a new life grow inside of you. That biological bound that a mother has with a child is something I could never fully understand or appreciate and I've seen some amazing sh*t regarding mother intuition. To see a mother doing this to her own child makes me want to vomit.

Agree 100% with everything said.