[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

new top chef

Bier Meister

I'm not a chef but the moment Keith purchased pre-cooked shrimp I turned to my wife and asked, "What the fk is he thinking?"

Same conversation here. It is pretty much common sense though, it is a friggin cooking show, you should probably cook something.

Is Marcel "misunderstood" and the victim of bad editing or is he really that annoying?

a little bit of both. the editing on those shows will make people look worse than they are, no doubt. but he is cocky & confident too, but for good reason. before all the Top Chef stuff came about, when we shared a house, he would cook stuff I wouldn't have ever even thought about. One day he cooked a mussel souffle out of the blue, just cause we had some mussels....and it was incredible. he was working on the molecular gastronomy stuff long before you even saw it on the food network, back when ferran adria & wylie dufrene were the only ones really doing it.

but he was, and still is, a very good person & a good friend. he was the very first person I met when I moved up to Hyde Park for school, and he welcomed me into his house. he's absolutely nowhere near as annoying as he was on the show. if I hadn't known him before TC, he probably would have been one of my least favorites haha. but it's a competition, and he understood that.

yeah, when keith bought those precooked frozen shrimp, he signed his exit ticket. that was incredibly stupid, just absolutely mindblowing that he would think that would be ok. he deserved to be ousted for that alone, but to use flour tortillas on top of that first blunder, inexcusable. his reasoning that he didn't know anything about mexican food doesn't hold water either....he should have done extensive research on mexican cuisine, knowing that he was going to be on Top Chef Texas...that's just bad planning.....too bad, b/c I liked the guy.

Kind of glad the mohawk guy got the boot. I was tired of listening/watching his coworker slob all over his knob and dance around like his cheerleader.

haha, yeah his coworker was definitely all over him. I was hoping the asian girl would get the boot, but she nailed that final dish.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is it my imagination or are the contestants getting more time for the challenges, including the quickfires, than in the past?

I haven't noticed really...

that "BBQ" cookoff was a joke.

First of all, Salt Lick wouldn't be in my top 5 BBQ places in or near Austin, and I could poll 20 friends & I would be surprised if any of them would say that it is theirs.

Second, the pit that they showed at the Salt Lick isn't where they smoke the meat...it's a finishing grill that they pull meat from before slicing & serving it.

Third, smoked meat isn't slathered in sauce as it smokes. It wouldn't take on the smoke with a wet surface.

Fourth...in order to smoke meat, they have to be able to contain the smoke. why would they give them those open pits (finishing pits) to smoke the meat? Or were they trying to see if they used the box smoker instead? But I only saw one box smoker....

I'd have put the briskets in the smoker first & foremost (and damn sure wouldn't have wrapped em in foil), let em smoke for 12-15 hours, then pulled those off & put the ribs & chicken on the smoker for the last 3-4 hours. period, done. in the meantime I would have done up my sides....but probably would have done something a little more original than beans & cole slaw, or at least changed em up a bit.

I still say Paul will win...but revoke my prediction of Chicago Chris being in the final 3.

First of all, Salt Lick wouldn't be in my top 5 BBQ places in or near Austin, and I could poll 20 friends & I would be surprised if any of them would say that it is theirs.

Second, the pit that they showed at the Salt Lick isn't where they smoke the meat...it's a finishing grill that they pull meat from before slicing & serving it.

Third, smoked meat isn't slathered in sauce as it smokes. It wouldn't take on the smoke with a wet surface.

Fourth...in order to smoke meat, they have to be able to contain the smoke. why would they give them those open pits (finishing pits) to smoke the meat? Or were they trying to see if they used the box smoker instead? But I only saw one box smoker....

I'd have put the briskets in the smoker first & foremost (and damn sure wouldn't have wrapped em in foil), let em smoke for 12-15 hours, then pulled those off & put the ribs & chicken on the smoker for the last 3-4 hours. period, done. in the meantime I would have done up my sides....but probably would have done something a little more original than beans & cole slaw, or at least changed em up a bit.

I still say Paul will win...but revoke my prediction of Chicago Chris being in the final 3.

My beans would have been in the bottom of that smoker soaking up the drippings.

I noticed all that too - I kept wondering if I was smoking incorrectly all these years. :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...