[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Cruxifiction of Joe Paterno

Rovers

OK, no one will argue that Sanduskie deserves to be raped by many Bubbas when he goes to jail for his crimes... but why is Paterno taking so much heat?

He had a grad student report to him that Sanduskie was seen sodomizing a kid. He reported this to the Penn State administration. In an era of false accusations, should Paterno have done more? I think he did what he was supposed to do... report the incident, one which he did not witness, it was told to him by a grad student.

Should Paterno have "gone after" one of his best friends? Since when did college head coaches get charged with investigating it's own staff for sexual assaults? After it's been reported to the University itself? If someone gets raped by a student on the south campus, even by a football player, is that Paterno's realm? Is he supposed to do the investigation?

He reported it. He did what is expected at least by me, for a head coach. Why his honor and legacy is being attacked now is an abomination. The talking heads make it sound like Paterno sodomized these kids.

The Penn State administration should not fire him, they should step up and take ALL the blame for dropping the ball. No pun intended. This is a smear on the University, not on Paterno, and should be seen as such. It's like blaming Paterno for an INT when his QB was hit and threw up a softball.

How this country and it's media LOVE to chit on great men, great legends... :wacko:

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not good enough to just report it to the AD when he saw the guy still hanging around in subsequent years. So if you were buddies with someone who you knew had sexually abused a 10 year old boy and you told your boss about it, you would consider your job done, even when said person continued coming around several years later, obviously never in any trouble with the police? Would you feel the same way if it was the coach at Indiana or New Mexico State? I guess the whole honor schtick only applies to everyone but Joe Pa himself.

Not good enough to just report it to the AD when he saw the guy still hanging around in subsequent years. So if you were buddies with someone who you knew had sexually abused a 10 year old boy and you told your boss about it, you would consider your job done, even when said person continued coming around several years later, obviously never in any trouble with the police? Would you feel the same way if it was the coach at Indiana or New Mexico State? I guess the whole honor schtick only applies to everyone but Joe Pa himself.

You are as bad as the media is. Paterno did NOT know.... it was something reported to him. It was ALLEGED, and there is a HUGH difference.

This is the exact same stupid jump to conclussions that is the basis of my complaint... tell me, if Paterno didn't see it, and only had one report of it, which he forwarded to the proper authorities.... he did what he had to do.

Based on the grand jury report, Sanduskie's entire "operation" took place in and around the Penn State Football program, much of the abuse within the athletic facilities. An assistant coach comes to Joe Pa and tells him he just witnessed the guy sodomizing a 10 year old kid in the locker room. Doesn't a reasonable person expect someone who rapes a child to go to jail? If you knew that a neighbor or a coworker raped a child and you reported it to someone, but the person never went to jail, wouldn't you follow up?

You are as bad as the media is. Paterno did NOT know.... it was something reported to him. It was ALLEGED, and there is a HUGH difference.

This is the exact same stupid jump to conclussions that is the basis of my complaint... tell me, if Paterno didn't see it, and only had one report of it, which he forwarded to the proper authorities.... he did what he had to do.

According to the testimony of the Assistant Coach, Joe Pa did know, as well as other members of the athletic staff and administration.

So I guess if your own kid was hanging out with someone who was alleged to be a sexual abuser that would be fine because you didn't actually see it happen? I guess that's where we differ. He continued to allow Sandusky to use the facilities after this was reported for several years. Joe Pa himself said he wish he'd done more. I guess the buck only stops at Paterno when things are going well. When sexual abuse goes on under his own roof, then he should get a pass. I'm guessing he wouldn't get that pass if he had been the coach anywhere else.

Based on the grand jury report, Sanduskie's entire "operation" took place in and around the Penn State Football program, much of the abuse within the athletic facilities. An assistant coach comes to Joe Pa and tells him he just witnessed the guy sodomizing a 10 year old kid in the locker room. Doesn't a reasonable person expect someone who rapes a child to go to jail? If you knew that a neighbor or a coworker raped a child and you reported it to someone, but the person never went to jail, wouldn't you follow up?

This. Exactly.

I agree with you he did what he was supposed to do according to policy...

I for one could never sleep at night with the idea that some man was sodomizing a 10 year boy and after reporting it nothing was done. Maybe he did what he technically was supposed to do but in my opinion it is morally reprehensible to not go to authorities on this.

The only thing I think wrong about Joe Paterno getting all this heat is that it is taking away from the humiliation that others have played in this scenario.

let them all burn in hell.

I really don't understand how anyone can really back Joe Paterno on this? You may not think he deserves to be fried but to actually back him is disgusting.

"he did what he had to do"

listen to yourself. someone tells you that they were an EYEWITNESS to a 10 year old boy being sexually abused. in your place of work.

think about that for a minute ...

so you just tell curly and be done with it? you see the guy later on campus and you go on about your business because you told curly and that's "what you had to do"?!?! no way rovers. you don't stop until you are satisfied with the truth and you don't stop until you get that EYEWITNESS to get the cops involved. period.

the ONLY reason not to do that ... the ONLY reason ... is to try and protect the program, try to protect the school.

bulltaco.

you do EVERYTHING you can to protect the kid ... and all others that would follow.

anyone connected that did not bring this to the police, including the EYEWITNESS should be brought up on charges if possible and at a freakin' minimum, fired. who could dress up in penn state gear and support a program where ANYONE connected to this is still around?

nice try, but joe pa is done.

1998: An 11-year-old boy returns home with wet hair after an outing with Sandusky. Victim 6 tells his mother he took a shower with Sandusky and that the coach hugged him several times. The boy's mother contacts university police, triggering an investigation.

On May 13 and May 19, Det. Ronald Shreffler records the boy's mother during a call with Sandusky. Court papers say Sandusky acknowledges that he showered with the boy, as well as with others. When the mother cuts off contact with Sandusky after a second call, he tells her, "I wish I were dead," according to court papers.On June 1, Jerry Lauro, an investigator from the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, takes part in an interview of Sandusky by Shreffler. According to the grand jury report, Sandusky admits to hugging the boy in the shower, and says he will not shower with children again.

Shreffler speaks to another boy who reports similar treatment to that reported by Victim 6. But the investigation ends after District Attorney Ray Gricar decides the case warrants no criminal charges. Shreffler tells the grand jury that Thomas Harmon, who headed the campus police, told him to close the inquiry.

1999: Sandusky retires from Penn State's football program, but with an "emeritus" label that allows him continued access to campus facilities, including the locker room and an office in the Lasch Football Building. Schultz has testified that the timing of Sandusky's retirement was not related to the university police investigation a year earlier.

2000: Jim Calhoun, a janitor at the Lasch building, tells a co-worker and his supervisor that he saw Sandusky engaged in sexual activity with a boy in the assistant coaches' shower. The boy, referred to as Victim 8 in court papers, has never been identified.

Calhoun's colleague Ronald Petrosky, who reported seeing Sandusky's car in the parking lot later that night in the fall of 2000, says that members of the janitorial staff were concerned that they might lose their jobs if they spoke out about what had happened.After Calhoun told his supervisor, Jay Witherite, what he had seen, Witherite told him whom he could report the incident to, if he chose to do so.

2002: A graduate assistant reports seeing Sandusky sexually assaulting a boy in the showers at Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus, around 9:30 p.m. on Friday, March 1. The assault on the boy, who Kelly said "appeared to be about 10 years old," is reported to Paterno the next day. Paterno, in turn, passes the information to Curley one day later.

Sorry Rovers, you're dead wrong IMO. I live about 45 minutes from Beaver Stadium. I've never been a PSU fan but have always respected Paterno. No more

Edited by HowboutthemCowboys

Why isn't anyone all over the eyewitness for not going to the police?

Agree 1000% - that is why I said it sucks that so much attention is on Joe Paterno because he is Joe Paterno - He deserves to get what is coming but the attention should be on the others who were even more morally wrong in this whole disgusting scenario.

i think you may have very few people on your side on this one. He absolutely had a moral responsibility to go to the cops. He probably didn't to protect Penn st. and his program. There's really no other reason i can think of why someone in his position wouldn't do that. I think he should be forced to resign asap. He tarnished his 62 year career with one very poor decision.

Why is this almost solely on Paterno? What about the grad asst/now asst. coach who witnessed the actual physical act of an old man sticking his wang into a ten year old boy? Why didn't he physically intervene and stop this assault? Why didn't he call the cops immediately? So he goes to Paterno the next day and reports it to him and he has no further moral responsibility? But Paterno, hearing a first hand account that he didn't personally witness, is the bad guy here? I guess there is nothing good that is coming out of this, but I don't think that Paterno is the most culpable in this whole situation.

OK, I'm backing off here... the reports I heard were some grad student made an isolated report. That report was forwarded. I'd imagined Paterno thought it would be followed up.

Apparently, there is much more to this than I knew.

If Paterno KNEW.... then yes, throw him under the bus. If he KNEW that these allegations were true, and did nothing.... fire him immediately. Fire any admin that recieved the report and did nothing. Those that KNEW, and did nothing.... should indeed be prosecuted to the fullest extent that the law allows.

Why is this almost solely on Paterno? What about the grad asst/now asst. coach who witnessed the actual physical act of an old man sticking his wang into a ten year old boy? Why didn't he physically intervene and stop this assault? Why didn't he call the cops immediately? So he goes to Paterno the next day and reports it to him and he has no further moral responsibility? But Paterno, hearing a first hand account that he didn't personally witness, is the bad guy here? I guess there is nothing good that is coming out of this, but I don't think that Paterno is the most culpable in this whole situation.

Noone's saying it's solely on Paterno. Many people are to blame.

You're right and I, along with a few other, posted above that the grad/assistant is absolutely culpable. BUT, Paterno is the captain of the ship. He's at the top here so he has to go. They both need to go, along with the school president, AD, and the head of security (VP of something or other-forgot the exact title).