[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Cruxifiction of Joe Paterno

Rovers

Admittedly, I was in a vacumm of info when I strtaed this thread, but...

I know two people who were wrongfully accused of child molestation and worse. Neither were guilty.

One was a victim of a little kid who was being abused at home and lied, apparently to get some help, but was too fearful to accuse her parents of the abuse. So, she found someone else to blame. Poor kid was just looking to be rescued, but ruined someone's life who had done nothing wrong, but was the victim of her desperation.

This second case is even more bizzarre. A missing girl, about 15 yers old was reported to have been abducted by a man in a white box truck. A friend of mine who lives in a garden apt comlex was investigated, and nearly terrorized by local detectives. Why? Some little old lady in his complex saw him take a large black plastic garbage bag out to the dumpster. He was driving a light blue Ford Econoline. She told the cops he was dsiposing of a body.

So began a 3 week harrassment of my friend. He cooperated with the detectives. For weeks. Then they got nasty. these two scum bags apparently thought they had their guy, despite zero circumstantial eveidence and absolutely no real evidence. Eventually, he had to pay a lawyer and refuse further home questioning, insisting he be arrested before cooperating any further.

The girl was found in Florida four weeks after disappearing, having left with some male of her own choice.

So, forgive me of my skeptisism when it comes to these kinds of accusations. I am so fearful of my liabilities in such a situation, I refuse to baby sit for ANYONE, including family. I'm no perv, but I have had to avoid any situation that might put me in a position of being accused of same. Sad.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess Paterno releasing a statement saying "In hindsight, I should have done more." kinda blows your whole argument in favor of him, Rovers.

Pretty simple facts: Paterno was alerted that a former member of his staff anally raped a kid in the showers, Paterno told his superiors...nothing was done...then, as per the Grand Jury report, Paterno lets this rapist come back to his practices with other 10-year old boys (in 2006 & 2007)? Are you kidding me?

There is absolutely, 100% no way Paterno should have ever stepped onto the field again. PSU did the right thing.

"Almamaterism"=Cultish behavior...are these ppl really this blind to what the real issues are?

Keg, I have about two dozen friends on FB who are appalled that Paterno got axed. "How do you treat someone this way who has done so much for the university". "He deserved better". "He did what he was legally required to do."

The definition of blind homerism.

I have tried to stay away from this topic and have tuned myself out from any form of discussion about this...

Paterno should have done more....there really was no excuse for what he did in regards to just alerting authorities on campus and washing his hands of the situation.....if he truly had any sort of knowledge of what was going on then he should have spoke up.....the end...

this chit disgusts me and I feel for Paterno as I know he was between a rock and a hard place, I just wish he made the right choice here...

You are as bad as the media is. Paterno did NOT know.... it was something reported to him. It was ALLEGED, and there is a HUGH difference.

what did he do to follow up? absolutely nothing. couldn't he have fired him? demanded an investigation? also, it sounds as though the assistant told paterno he saw the guy ass-raping a kid. somewhere along the line, and you get the suspicion paterno had a lot to do with this, that became "there was some fooling around" or "maybe something a little inappropriate". institutionally, they shrugged this chit off because they didn't want it making waves, and when it comes to penn state football, paterno IS the institution. I know if it was my kid and I was ever in a room with "joe pa" they would end up needing several people to pull me off of him. he deserves a lot worse than being shown the door IMO.

Why is this almost solely on Paterno? What about the grad asst/now asst. coach who witnessed the actual physical act of an old man sticking his wang into a ten year old boy? Why didn't he physically intervene and stop this assault? Why didn't he call the cops immediately? So he goes to Paterno the next day and reports it to him and he has no further moral responsibility? But Paterno, hearing a first hand account that he didn't personally witness, is the bad guy here? I guess there is nothing good that is coming out of this, but I don't think that Paterno is the most culpable in this whole situation.

not one person is defending the graduate assistant. pathetic attempt to distract from the issue at hand.

Paterno needed to kill this thing the second he first heard about it. Screw going to the "higher-ups". There is nobody there that is close to Joe Paterno. When people think of Penn State University, it has more association with Joe Paterno than any university has with any one person. He is the coach, he is the program, he is the school.

If they were close, Sandusky has had conversations about this with Paterno, right? Is it possible that Peterno told him he wouldn't report him if it never happens again, or something along those lines? If one of my dear, dear, longtime friends was having sex with a 10-year old boy, I would at least think about talking with my friend first before going to the cops. Maybe Paterno is dirtier in this than we thought. There has to be a reason that nothing was done after the first few reports. Paterno just needed to kill this the first time and didn't.

Keg, I have about two dozen friends on FB who are appalled that Paterno got axed. "How do you treat someone this way who has done so much for the university". "He deserved better". "He did what he was legally required to do."

The definition of blind homerism.

I'm a die-hard Penn State fan and grew up 20 minutes from Beaver Stadium. This is so hard to watch and I have many mixed emotions. I do agree that the right thing was done. It is still so sad to see his career end like this. However, my main thoughts are with the victims, and anyone who didn't do enough to stop this sick, sick man from committing further acts against children needed to pay a price.

Now, the kids are rioting and acting like morans. This will help and already awful situation. :wacko:

I will be there Saturday to support the players. They are another victim in all of this. All of this distraction, and they have done nothing wrong.

A tweet from QB Matt McGloin: "a tough time But the outrage we are feeling now is nothing compared to what the victims are going through."

Edited by Menudo

it sounds as though the assistant told paterno he saw the guy ass-raping a kid.

I've seen this repeated over and over in this thread and the other one but is that factual? Was Paterno specifically told that the guy was seen "ass-raping a kid"?

I'm just interested to know specifically what Paterno was told by the grad student who reported it to him.

ETA: Never mind, I found what I was looking for.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

Didn't want to start replying on 2 threads but since this one is continuing -

what did he do to follow up? absolutely nothing. couldn't he have fired him?

Since Sandusky wasn't a coach, no. Amazing how many people don't know or ignore this fact. He retired years before the shower thing. This is not a "Penn St football matter" just because he used to be a coach and some of this happened in practice facilities.

Paterno heard an allegation. He reported it and I suspect was very skeptical about it, which at the time wasn't so unreasonable, as he THOUGHT he knew Sandusky well, so he didn't do more. In hindsight, he could've/should've, but it's easy to say now. To burn him for getting thrown into the middle of this and in such a rush is BS IMO.

If they're going to cruxify Paterno, then they better do the same to EVERYONE who "knew." That includes people at that charity the guy worked for and who knows how many others. But that won't happen. Know why? Nobody cares about the nobodies. They care about big splashy revenge, and burning an icon like Paterno goes a long way to that. "Look we got PATERNO! How's that for a big counter-strike?" Nothing like the satisfaction of revenge...you go mob, put another body on the bonfire and don't care if it's really justified or not, long as the blood lust is served. That is what bothers me about this. Not only do I disagree but I esp disagree with it being done in such haste. Let's not carefully review this or realize how ultra-sensitive this is and so tempers are running high meaning rational calculated thought is not exactly in top form.....nahhh let's just BURN people and how dare anyone disagree for even a second?

Down the road I may change my mind on this but right now IMO this is BS. Paterno told the people he was supposed to tell and they were supposed to handle it. It is not his fault they didn't. He wasn't Sandusky's employer or the GA's daddy/wet nurse. PS again I am not saying he's faultless and even he said he could have/should have done more, but it's easy to be self-righteous in hindsight and from a distance and again I think it was so extreme he doubted its validity which is why he didn't go further. Fautless? No. A villian who should get axed? No. Burn the people who were supposed to handle it and who Paterno rightfully thought were.

Edited by BeeR

Didn't want to start replying on 2 threads but since this one is continuing -

Since Sandusky wasn't a coach, no. Amazing how many people don't know or ignore this fact. He retired years before the shower thing. This is not a "Penn St football matter" just because he used to be a coach and some of this happened in practice facilities.

Paterno heard an allegation. He reported it and I suspect was very skeptical about it, which at the time wasn't so unreasonable, as he THOUGHT he knew Sandusky well, so he didn't do more. In hindsight, he could've/should've, but it's easy to say now. To burn him for getting thrown into the middle of this and in such a rush is BS IMO.

If they're going to cruxify Paterno, then they better do the same to EVERYONE who "knew." That includes people at that charity the guy worked for and who knows how many others. But that won't happen. Know why? Nobody cares about the nobodies. They care about big splashy revenge, and burning an icon like Paterno goes a long way to that. "Look we got PATERNO! How's that for a big counter-strike?" Nothing like the satisfaction of revenge...you go mob, put another body on the bonfire and don't care if it's really justified or not, long as the blood lust is served. That is what bothers me about this. Not only do I disagree but I esp disagree with it being done in such haste. Let's not carefully review this or realize how ultra-sensitive this is and so tempers are running high meaning rational calculated thought is not exactly in top form.....nahhh let's just BURN people and how dare anyone disagree for even a second?

Down the road I may change my mind on this but right now IMO this is BS. Paterno told the people he was supposed to tell and they were supposed to handle it. It is not his fault they didn't. He wasn't Sandusky's employer or the GA's daddy/wet nurse. PS again I am not saying he's faultless and even he said he could have/should have done more, but it's easy to be self-righteous in hindsight and from a distance and again I think it was so extreme he doubted its validity which is why he didn't go further. Fautless? No. A villian who should get axed? No. Burn the people who were supposed to handle it and who Paterno rightfully thought were.

you're off base on this one man. whether Sandusky was a coach or not was irrelevant. he was involved in a program (second mile) that used the penn state facilities and he had keys to the building. He brought kids to practice, in at least one instance to the alamo bowl and promised them walk- on spots on the team.

whether paterno was skeptical is irrelevant. i find it hard to believe he thought it was some kind of prank. even if he thought there was a 1% the chance the story was true, you gotta go to the cops. that's there job to figure out if a felony crime was committed, not his.

Lots of people are to blame. Paterno has more responsibility b/c of his position at the university. Just like the president has more responsibility than the grad student who has more responsibility than the janitor. That's the deal when you assume those positions.

Sounds like this was going on for a very long time (they are saying almost 15 years) and that pretty much everyone in the program and administration knew about it. I've also heard that the previous DA knew about it but did not bring up charges, and nobody can find that guy (presumed dead). That's all pretty much just sports radio rumors, but there seems to be a lot of this kind of detail coming out now.

Everyone WANTED Paterno to go out on top. I don't care what everyone wanted. And nobody is singling out Paterno, they are more or less just saying that he needs to hang like everyone else, and not get a pass because of his name.

Sounds like this was going on for a very long time (they are saying almost 15 years) and that pretty much everyone in the program and administration knew about it. I've also heard that the previous DA knew about it but did not bring up charges, and nobody can find that guy (presumed dead). That's all pretty much just sports radio rumors, but there seems to be a lot of this kind of detail coming out now.

Everyone WANTED Paterno to go out on top. I don't care what everyone wanted. And nobody is singling out Paterno, they are more or less just saying that he needs to hang like everyone else, and not get a pass because of his name.

yep- this is horrible and it is ony going to get worse. By the account I read Paterno KNEW about the rape in the shower and reported it to the AD the NEXT day after hearing the report. JoePa and his little PSU kingdom was above the law in his mind. This whole mindset of these people is fn disgusting. You cannot tell me Paterno DID NOT KNOW his right hand man Sandusky didn't have serious issues and was a child molester- I will never belive that.

They all knew, why in the world does Sandusky, one of the best D minds in college football retire in 1999 at the age of 55?? and never coaches anywhere ever again???? bc they knew, they made him quit, kept it all quiet and thought they could cover it up.

PSU is dead in the water, and unfortunately will be scarred for many years and I bet gets a similar fate to SMU 20 years ago.

Admittedly, I was in a vacumm of info when I strtaed this thread, but...

I know two people who were wrongfully accused of child molestation and worse. Neither were guilty.

One was a victim of a little kid who was being abused at home and lied, apparently to get some help, but was too fearful to accuse her parents of the abuse. So, she found someone else to blame. Poor kid was just looking to be rescued, but ruined someone's life who had done nothing wrong, but was the victim of her desperation.

This second case is even more bizzarre. A missing girl, about 15 yers old was reported to have been abducted by a man in a white box truck. A friend of mine who lives in a garden apt comlex was investigated, and nearly terrorized by local detectives. Why? Some little old lady in his complex saw him take a large black plastic garbage bag out to the dumpster. He was driving a light blue Ford Econoline. She told the cops he was dsiposing of a body.

So began a 3 week harrassment of my friend. He cooperated with the detectives. For weeks. Then they got nasty. these two scum bags apparently thought they had their guy, despite zero circumstantial eveidence and absolutely no real evidence. Eventually, he had to pay a lawyer and refuse further home questioning, insisting he be arrested before cooperating any further.

The girl was found in Florida four weeks after disappearing, having left with some male of her own choice.

So, forgive me of my skeptisism when it comes to these kinds of accusations. I am so fearful of my liabilities in such a situation, I refuse to baby sit for ANYONE, including family. I'm no perv, but I have had to avoid any situation that might put me in a position of being accused of same. Sad.

you have some serious issues - and your posts on this are beyond moronic.

why would you be so opinionated when you admittedly don't know the facts and are "in a vacuum" these are not baseless accusations, so not only is your post bizarre, it really has nothing to do with this case.

get it together.

Glad he got the boot. Watching his interview from 2005 he said he'll retire when he wants after being asked to step down. And then yesterday issues a statement telling the board of trustees he'll retire at the end of the year and they shouldn't worry about him.

Bullish-t Joepa you arrogant prick. You go when you're told to go. Adios.

yep- this is horrible and it is ony going to get worse. By the account I read Paterno KNEW about the rape in the shower and reported it to the AD the NEXT day after hearing the report. JoePa and his little PSU kingdom was above the law in his mind. This whole mindset of these people is fn disgusting. You cannot tell me Paterno DID NOT KNOW his right hand man Sandusky didn't have serious issues and was a child molester- I will never belive that.

They all knew, why in the world does Sandusky, one of the best D minds in college football retire in 1999 at the age of 55?? and never coaches anywhere ever again???? bc they knew, they made him quit, kept it all quiet and thought they could cover it up.

PSU is dead in the water, and unfortunately will be scarred for many years and I bet gets a similar fate to SMU 20 years ago.

Everything I am reading here in Pa is that there is plenty more to come. This is just the tip of the iceberg. For those that say Paterno did not know everything about this situation, they are dead wrong. This man was in complete control of everything that went on at this university as far as Sandusky and the football program. Whatever Spanier did or did not do, was the result of what Joe told them. Guaranteed.

Yesterday issues a statement telling the board of trustees he'll retire at the end of the year and they shouldn't worry about him.

Bullish-t Joepa you arrogant prick. You go when you're told to go. Adios.

I think him trying to lob a pre-emptive strike was the worst thing he could have done, if his goal was to continue coaching this year.

The greatest criminal scandal in the history of college sports is unfolding at and within the Penn State Football program, and the Head Coach makes a press statement that he'll step down at the end of the year, on his terms?

Dude is a tad senile if he thought he could, at this point, define the terms of his departure.

I think him trying to lob a pre-emptive strike was the worst thing he could have done, if his goal was to continue coaching this year.

The greatest criminal scandal in the history of college sports is unfolding at and within the Penn State Football program, and the Head Coach makes a press statement that he'll step down at the end of the year, on his terms?

Dude is a tad senile if he thought he could, at this point, define the terms of his departure.

No doubt.

you have some serious issues - and your posts on this are beyond moronic.

why would you be so opinionated when you admittedly don't know the facts and are "in a vacuum" these are not baseless accusations, so not only is your post bizarre, it really has nothing to do with this case.

get it together.

For Christ's sake...even his thread title is bizarre. Cruxifiction? Are you effing kidding me?