[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Suh

piratesownninjas

I think it is much more manly to sit - not lie, but sit - on a couch, tough it out, and watch the game than it is to sit in a recliner and do so.

If you sit in a recliner and criticize Suh, you have no credibility.

Edited by Bronco Billy

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm simply saying that, as long as Suh insists on trying to get away with as much as he can in this regard, he should expect to get penalties and fines and both he and Lions fans should quit whining about it.

Your missing the point (at least my point.) I don't give a rip about penalties and fines. The league is soft and its going to do what it's going to do. If you want to defend a league that fines a player for pushing someone to the ground too hard, or revere a rule that penalizes a player for grazing a QB's helmet, that's you're prerogative .

I'm scoffing at those those drama queens who are crying about Suh being some kind of monster who is ripping heads off and who are spouting other hysterical nonsense.

He doesn't blindside players in the open field. He doesn't launch himself headfirst at defenseless players. He's a rough tackler, not unlike many icons of the game. Actually far less rough then many icons of the game.

And frankly, I'd take the same position if he played for Pittsburgh or Chicago or whoever.

Your missing the point (at least my point.) I don't give a rip about penalties and fines. The league is soft and its going to do what it's going to do. If you want to defend a league that fines a player for pushing someone to the ground too hard, or revere a rule that penalizes a player for grazing a QB's helmet, that's you're prerogative .

I'm scoffing at those those drama queens who are crying about Suh being some kind of monster who is ripping heads off and who are spouting other hysterical nonsense.

He doesn't blindside players in the open field. He doesn't launch himself headfirst at defenseless players. He's a rough tackler, not unlike many icons of the game. Actually far less rough then many icons of the game.

And frankly, I'd take the same position if he played for Pittsburgh or Chicago or whoever.

I agree.

Dude, I'm not sure exactly how many times I've mentioned in this thread alone that I think the NFL needs to reexamine the rule regarding how they're calling some of these hits. However, I'd like to think it was enough to make your bolded statement rather foolish.

I just think football is a violent game at its base and trying to make it safe makes it feel like a different sport.
Like anything else, it's a question of degree. Take that too far and guys get unnecessarily hurt, and I don't mean bumps and bruises but very seriously hurt and typically by the thugs, many who would be the first ones to cry if it were happening to them IMO.

But go too soft and you get these ridiculous penalties/etc like oh he pushed the guy a little just as he went out of bounds or he knocked the QB down a split second after he threw the ball.

Both extremes are stupid and what the league/refs need to get better about. It seems common sense isn't kicking in sometimes w/this.

As for the obsession over leading w/the helmet, can they not make the outer helmet material softer or something so that.....

hey I got it! Nerf helmets!!

Edited by BeeR

If football is becoming too violent for you, go watch the NBA with Hugh.

Just curious, tough guy, how do you feel about all the guys who live the rest of their lives with the horrible effects of the punishment they endure for your amusement?

I realize that you're rarely good for anything more than cute little zingers, regardless of the topic, but let me explain, at least my, stance on the issue. Just so you have it clear and you can stop pretending it's something else.

I don't think football is too violent for me. I'm just fine if those who are involved with it decide it's too violent for them. Because, I'm not the one who may spend half of his life with brain damage or chronic pain. In other words, if they're fine with it, that's cool. It's their life. But who am I to insist that they keep crippling each other on my account? Because the big hits is only part of what I like about the game. If the big hits become just a bit "less big", I'll still enjoy the game.

Oh, and one last thing. It's not "becoming" too violent. Hell, look at this thread and all the old videos. It's becoming less violent. It's just that now we actually care about concussions and things so they're trying to stop doing some of the things they used to do. So this batch of pro players doesn't end up effed up like the last batch. Remember the guy who recently killed himself and wanted his brain donated to test how effed up his brain was from all the years of playing? I don't know about you, but that sort of bothered me.

It's funny, because you're trying to spin it like we're the ones who are whining. We're not. The guys who are whining are the ones who are crying that their precious blood sport is being taken away from them.

Edited by detlef

I think it is much more manly to sit - not lie, but sit - on a couch, tough it out, and watch the game than it is to sit in a recliner and do so.

If you sit in a recliner and criticize Suh, you have no credibility.

What if your recliner is a manly sunfaded leather stained over the years with your sweat?

It's funny, because you're trying to spin it like we're the ones who are whining. We're not. The guys who are whining are the ones who are crying that their precious blood sport is being taken away from them.

Wait, who started this cryfest thread? Was it Furd or pirates?

So then you admit that you misrepresented my stance on the topic.

No. I didn't mean to represent your stance on the topic. I chose my word poorly.

I admit that it wasn't unresasonable for you to interpret it that way.

Just curious, tough guy, how do you feel about all the guys who live the rest of their lives with the horrible effects of the punishment they endure for your amusement?

It's part of their job. With how much hate these players receive for the amount of money they make, I'm sure the same people who harbor that hate don't want the players to all play like Randy Moss and still receive millions.

I don't think football is too violent for me. I'm just fine if those who are involved with it decide it's too violent for them. Because, I'm not the one who may spend half of his life with brain damage or chronic pain. In other words, if they're fine with it, that's cool. It's their life. But who am I to insist that they keep crippling each other on my account? Because the big hits is only part of what I like about the game. If the big hits become just a bit "less big", I'll still enjoy the game.

That's how you feel. This is how I feel.

But football by its nature is animalistic, raw, a bloody piece of meat. That’s what fans want, as close to the bygone days of the Roman Coliseum as we can position ourselves. It also sells. That’s what Fox promotes, returning to the game after commercial breaks with that incredibly annoying animated robot jerking back and forth like an ugly terminator to wave-crashing music.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011...s-violence.html

It's part of their job. With how much hate these players receive for the amount of money they make, I'm sure the same people who harbor that hate don't want the players to all play like Randy Moss and still receive millions.

You have to link to an article to express your opinion? Do you have any ability to think and speak for yourself? :wacko:

You clearly have the most appropriate avatar here at the huddle. :rofl::lol::tup:

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Dude, any industry that is faced with the sort of data that the NFL has been faced with regarding what happens to its employees and doesn't take actions to try and mitigate these somehow, is acting completely irresponsibly.

In other words, it doesn't have to be part of their job, not entirely.

Now, like I've said, I think they need to reexamine the rule changes and try to figure out if they're trying to fix the issue the right way. But let's look at the worst case scenario, at least for me, of them going too far with keeping players safe:

Somehow my Niners continue this magical run to Indy and have Tom Brady and the Patriots down to their last play with 30 seconds to go. 4th and 10 from the Niners 30. Brady throws incomplete. The Niners win! Oops, there's a flag. Apparently Justin Smith's pinky grazed Tom Brady's helmet and an overzealous ref throws a flag. Pats get a first and score the winning TD on the next play.

That's it. The worst, possible thing that could happen to me as a fan, because they went too far with rules put in place to keep guys from becoming vegetables, is that I spent 3 hours drinking beer and eating nachos, and the wrong team won. My team got jobbed. I'll be pissed as hell. And the next morning, I'll get up healthy and go back to work. Where I will proceed to b!tch about how my Niners got jobbed. With all my mental and physical faculties intact.

The End.

Edited by detlef