[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best chili recipe ever

Cheddar

So about a year ago I decided I was going to make Chili for a football game. I followed my standard ritual for making a dish i've never made before: I googled "worlds best chili recipe" and spent a little while perusing the results. Came up with this:

SOUTHERN CHILI

Ingredients:

4 Tbsp California chili powder

3 Tbsp Gebhardts chili powder

1 Tbsp Pasilla chili powder

1 Tbsp Chimayo chili powder

2 ½ Tbsp cumin

1 Tbsp granulated garlic

1 Tbsp onion powder ½ tsp Cayenne powder

2 tsp salt

Combine above ingredients for spice mix. Reserve 4 Tbsp of mix and set aside. Divide the remaining amount into 2 equal parts.

3# Tri-Tip roast or Chuck Tender cut in small chunks

1-15oz can of beef broth (Swansons)

1-15oz can of chicken broth (Swansons)

1-10oz can of tomato puree (Hunts)

2 Green Chiles – from a 4 oz can of whole ones - blended Tabasco to taste Salt to taste

Instructions:

In chili pot, combine beef broth, chicken broth, tomato puree and ½ of remaining spice mix.

In skillet, brown the meat, drain and add to chili pot.

Cook for about 1½ hours.

Add other ½ of spice mix and blended green chiles and simmer for an additional hour.

Add reserved 4 Tbsp of spice mix and cook a ½ hour more or until meat is tender.

Adjust salt if necessary.

Add Tabasco to taste.

Makes about ¾ of a gallon

Reference: http://www.chilicookoff.com/Winner/WC_2008.asp

I

This chili is now legend in my area. It is quite simply the best ever. You guys should make it. I just use beef stew medallions from jewel and by the end of the cihli they are just falling apart in your mouth bursting with an amazing spicy taste. Its not overpoweringly spicy, just delicious flavor spicy. Also while I have made it with the chili's listed and it was better, I've also made it by just going to jewel and buying some generic chili powder. Usually I get mccormick chili powder, jewel hot mexican chili powder, and theres another hot mexican chili powder. Basically just get like at least 3 different chili powders and use 9 total tablespoons per serving.

I've tried a few variations by adding crushed tomatos or diced tomatos (both are good but get rid of as much of the extra water/juice as possible before you put them in, I add them in phase 2. Also I've added other vegetables in phase 3 including red/green peppers and corn. Those all worked out well.

I generally serve it with some sort of nice hard crusted bread to dip, and shredded smoked gouda and cheddar w/ chopped onions.

The most I've made is 6x the recipe (so 18 pounds of beef) fora giant party (my friends actually threw a giant party for the sole purpose of the chili. It was literally "James' chili party" and it had a giant turnout of friends who had heard about how amazing this chili is. I dont know how else to stress this, MAKE THIS CHILI IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE.

Edited by Cheddar

I have a chili cookbook that has the recipes from all the contest winners from the International Chili Society. It has every kind of chili imaginable and everyone I have tried is awesome.

This one looks like it belongs in that book.

Making this right now.... Could not find the Chili Powders you referred to so I found the following and am using them and hoping it works...

Guajillo Powder

Piquin Powder

Chipotle Powder - hopefully give a good smokey flavor

and regular mcCormick chili Powder

Also bought a pablano pepper to dice and throw in.

Simmering right now for the 90 minutes and smells awesome!!!

I have a chili cookbook that has the recipes from all the contest winners from the International Chili Society. It has every kind of chili imaginable and everyone I have tried is awesome.

This one looks like it belongs in that book.

It probably is in that book. I think its the 2009 ICS winner.

Making this right now.... Could not find the Chili Powders you referred to so I found the following and am using them and hoping it works...

Guajillo Powder

Piquin Powder

Chipotle Powder - hopefully give a good smokey flavor

and regular mcCormick chili Powder

Also bought a pablano pepper to dice and throw in.

Simmering right now for the 90 minutes and smells awesome!!!

How was it

How was it

Taste is good but did not realize that Piquin powder is hot!!! So a tablespoon of Piquin and also the cayenne made for a SPICY chili.

Takes about 1/2 hour to eat a bowl because my lips are burning but I like the taste enough that I keep going for more spoonfuls until the bowl is gone.

The only bad thing is that the next day I am reminded again that Piquin powder is hot!!

So is this chili a lot thinner than most? It looks like three pounds of beef mixed with almost three pounds of broth, plus some seasoning.

Most competetion chili is devoid of a lot of the ingredients people are used to. It is usually meat, chilis, tomatoes and broth. It does thicken up and is pure chili.

I made a chili last week that was a classic Red Chili. Four pounds of tri-tip, onions, four different chili peppers and whole tomatoes. It was yummy, but most poeople opted to eat my wife's chili that had beans, ground beef and looked like sloppy joe mix.

That's OK. More for me.......

Edited by lkirc

Most competetion chili is devoid of a lot of the ingredients people are used to. It is usually meat, chilis, tomatoes and broth. It does thicken up and is pure chili.

I honestly don't understand this concept. In a cooking contest, why are people more loyal to an arbitrary tradition than what their taste buds tell them? I've had chili all kinds of different ways, and "beef & tomato soup" is not my idea of a winning result.

If you were entering an omelet contest, would you limit your ingredient list to eggs and cheese? A pizza contest with only one choice of topping? Seems ridiculous. Isn't the point of a contest to encourage more variety in order to determine which creative combinations TASTE best?

ETA: I think it's amusing to think about what the cooking industry would look like right now if the "chilihead purity" attitude were adopted for all cuisine. :wacko: Cooking, by nature, is experimenting with combining various ingredients to achieve a taste goal. That approach has worked pretty well, I'd say...except in lame chili competitions.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

• 2 weeks later...

This is only kind of related, but I just used some cubed tri-tip instead of regular ground beef in my chili for the first time. My life will never be the same. I cannot believe I waited this long. I was SURE that tritip wouldn't be noticeably better.

This is only kind of related, but I just used some cubed tri-tip instead of regular ground beef in my chili for the first time. My life will never be the same. I cannot believe I waited this long. I was SURE that tritip wouldn't be noticeably better.

Kick it up another notch and try throwing in some cubed pork next time. It adds a little sweetness to it and really reacts well with any spice you have in it.

• 2 weeks later...
Kick it up another notch and try throwing in some cubed pork next time. It adds a little sweetness to it and really reacts well with any spice you have in it.

Yup - mostly use pork shoulder now in chili - gets a lot of surprise and wows from newbs.