[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

iPod Options

Ursa Majoris

I have a dinky little 4GB iPod Nano (3rd Generation) that I use for travel. It holds about 150 songs (some are quite long). Works great and I intend to keep using it for travel.

I'm looking for an iPod of greater capacity that I can keep in the glove compartment of my car plugged in to the USB connection. I can control the iPod directly from the dash touchscreen as long as it's compliant.

I've heard the Classics are both unreliable and crap out after a year or so but not sure if this is very prevalent. I'm interested in getting something with a significant capacity though - I have well over 160GB on hard drive with a load more to come when I finally finish digitizing my records and tapes.

Anyone got any suggestions for an iPod or other player for in-car use?

Edited by Ursa Majoris

I have a dinky little 4GB iPod Nano (3rd Generation) that I use for travel. It holds about 150 songs (some are quite long). Works great and I intend to keep using it for travel.

I'm looking for an iPod of greater capacity that I can keep in the glove compartment of my car plugged in to the USB connection. I can control the iPod directly from the dash touchscreen as long as it's compliant.

I've heard the Classics are both unreliable and crap out after a year or so but not sure if this is very prevalent. I'm interested in getting something with a significant capacity though - I have well over 160GB on hard drive with a load more to come when I finally finish digitizing my records and tapes.

Anyone got any suggestions for an iPod or other player for in-car use?

What type of system are you going through? Why not just use a USB HDD and load up the MP3s? You can power many of the USB HDDs through the USB port.

Zunes are awesome. I also like my Betamax . . .

:snicker:

ETA: My classic has been going strong now for 6 years but it doesn't get extensive use though. I have 102GB of music and get through maybe a sliver of that while in the car. I mainly use it to store playlist then tap into other peoples systems when we're at parties.

Edited by twiley

What type of system are you going through? Why not just use a USB HDD and load up the MP3s? You can power many of the USB HDDs through the USB port.

Yes, I know but the dash panel doesn't control the device as well as it does an iPod. I can control an iPod without taking my hands off the wheel. The HD doesn't have the flexibility of an iPod device.

As for the internal HDD built into the car, it's incredibly slow to load from an external USB source. It would be quicker to chisel the notes of the songs on a piece of concrete.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

If I am getting just a player to sit in the glovie in Minn, I probably don't get an iPod classic because IIRC it has a spinning drive. Mi get something flash memory based.

I would probably also get a marine dry bag/ box to leave it in so that humidity/ moisture is never an issue. They are cheap items, but the iPod touch is not. I assume you want as much capacity as possible, and the touch will give you the most you can get from an apple mp3 product.

I am sure there are other cheaper options out there and they are probably worth investigating based on your stated intended use, I just don't really know who's they are. Again, if it were me I would just use my phone and have it jacked into the stereo, with controls for using the phone hands free while driving.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

If I am getting just a player to sit in the glovie in Minn, I probably don't get an iPod classic because IIRC it has a spinning drive. Mi get something flash memory based.

I would probably also get a marine dry bag/ box to leave it in so that humidity/ moisture is never an issue. They are cheap items, but the iPod touch is not. I assume you want as much capacity as possible, and the touch will give you the most you can get from an apple mp3 product.

I am sure there are other cheaper options out there and they are probably worth investigating based on your stated intended use, I just don't really know who's they are. Again, if it were me I would just use my phone and have it jacked into the stereo, with controls for using the phone hands free while driving.

I was just going to post the point about the freezing weather and the Classic being an HD as opposed to flash memory. You beat me to it. :wacko: Great point about the box, I was already considering options in that direction too.

A large iPod touch seems like the best option. I want to leave it in place in the glove box using the hidden USB port (invisible to thieves) for weeks at a time, so using the phone would not be a preferred option though right now I am using the USB on the dash for my Nano. Anyway, I don't have an iPhone or Android.

Any difference in sound between the various iPod generations? I have heard (FWIW) that 5th generation devices have better sound than 7th generation. I have no idea if that's for real but it has cropped up in reviews I've been reading.

Any difference in sound between the various iPod generations? I have heard (FWIW) that 5th generation devices have better sound than 7th generation. I have no idea if that's for real but it has cropped up in reviews I've been reading.

No clue. And honestly I doubt I would ever be able to tell a difference.

I was just going to post the point about the freezing weather and the Classic being an HD as opposed to flash memory. You beat me to it. :wacko: Great point about the box, I was already considering options in that direction too.

A large iPod touch seems like the best option. I want to leave it in place in the glove box using the hidden USB port (invisible to thieves) for weeks at a time, so using the phone would not be a preferred option though right now I am using the USB on the dash for my Nano. Anyway, I don't have an iPhone or Android.

My research on the ipod touch has lead me to believe the biggest issue is to get a 3rd generation or newer but that has to do with non-music applications.