[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Used CDs

Ursa Majoris

Just spent an hour or three rooting through vast quantities of used CDs in a store. Bought 31 of them, all sorts of different stuff including one from an obscure band I'd forgotten about for nearly four decades.

Anyone else on here like doing this?

I used to literally spend hours every week doing this. the guys would see me come in and tell me about whatever new stuff they got in that they thought I might be interested in. now I haven't been in a used cd store in a few years. the online experience has just made it antiquated. now you got pandora and chit.

I used to literally spend hours every week doing this. the guys would see me come in and tell me about whatever new stuff they got in that they thought I might be interested in. now I haven't been in a used cd store in a few years. the online experience has just made it antiquated. now you got pandora and chit.

It is antiquated, of course, but it's fun. I just like having the artifacts themselves rather than a bunch of 1s and 0s. Sure, I put them all in iTunes as soon as I get them but still, rooting through old CDs / vinyl and turning up something you haven't heard or even thought of for decades is awesome. I'm certain a few of the ones I picked up would never have shown up on Pandora.

Sometimes it's cheaper too.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

It is antiquated, of course, but it's fun. I just like having the artifacts themselves rather than a bunch of 1s and 0s. Sure, I put them all in iTunes as soon as I get them but still, rooting through old CDs / vinyl and turning up something you haven't heard or even thought of for decades is awesome. I'm certain a few of the ones I picked up would never have shown up on Pandora.

Sometimes it's cheaper too.

you realize, of course, that a CD is just a bunch of 1s and 0s ... the artifact you speak of is either your hard drive or a removable drive.

:wacko:

i do miss album art and liners. the pdfs you get from iTunes just aren't the same.

you realize, of course, that a CD is just a bunch of 1s and 0s ... the artifact you speak of is either your hard drive or a removable drive.

OK, scholarship pupil of the Azazello School of Semantics, here's an edit:

I just like having the artifacts themselves rather than just a bunch of 1s and 0s.

i used to love browsing the used cds. in college i worked at a cd store which pretty much funded my music addiction. students would bring in their cds to trade in and i would just set aside the ones i wanted.

i get a bit of the same feeling browsing itunes, especially now that you can listen to 90 seconds of any song. now i hunt for cool songs vs entire cds.

I still have over 400 vinyl albums which I play occassionally. I love holding them and placing them carefully on the turn table. I like contemplating the covers as the album spins and music fills the room.

I still have around 200 CDs. They do not mean as much to me as my albums.

I have around 50 45s. I have no way to play these. They were not items I picked out and so have little meaning to me. They got passed down from older cousins and siblings and I never threw them out.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Just spent an hour or three rooting through vast quantities of used CDs in a store. Bought 31 of them, all sorts of different stuff including one from an obscure band I'd forgotten about for nearly four decades.

Anyone else on here like doing this?

I do, but I do my browsing on Amazon's used music section. Then I copy the CD to itunes and I'm good. Digital music with a physical back up without having to pay $10+ for music that is new to me.