[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LSU vs WHO?

Rockerbraves

I'm not talking about what band-aids they've done to try and shut people up for another year. I mean, actually giving the people what they want. Because I'm pretty sure the lion's share don't want the crap they're feeding us.

You sure about that?

Ratings for featured games last weekend:

ACC Championship, 1.7 share

Oklahoma/Okie St., 3.7 share

Pac-12 Championship, 3.7 share

Big 10 Championship, 4.3 share

SEC Championship 7.4 share

ESPN is giving us what we want. By we I mean TV viewers.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sure about that?

Ratings for featured games last weekend:

ACC Championship, 1.7 share

Oklahoma/Okie St., 3.7 share

Pac-12 Championship, 3.7 share

Big 10 Championship, 4.3 share

SEC Championship 7.4 share

ESPN is giving us what we want. By we I mean TV viewers.

Are you implying that more people will watch the non-Championship BCS games than would watch semi-final and/or quarterfinal games leading up to the Championship?

Let me put it this way. I'm obviously a huge sports fan and football in particular. And it's gotten to the point that I may or may not watch any of the BCS games depending on whether or not I have anything better to do. Further, you can be damned certain that the bar for "something better to do" is not going to be that high for the Orange or Sugar Bowls this year. And I've talked to plenty of others in the same boat. However, if these were play-off games, it's appointment TV.

Edited by detlef

Are you implying that more people will watch the non-Championship BCS games than would watch semi-final and/or quarterfinal games leading up to the Championship?

Not at all, I'm implying that more people will watch a BCS game featuring two SEC programs than would watch Oklahoma St. or Stanford play an SEC school in a title game. And I'll also imply that ESPN is aiming for exactly that, a lot of viewers.

That was a cynical response to "giving the people what they want", not anything to do with the bowl nonsense.

Not at all, I'm implying that more people will watch a BCS game featuring two SEC programs than would watch Oklahoma St. or Stanford play an SEC school in a title game. And I'll also imply that ESPN is aiming for exactly that, a lot of viewers.

That was a cynical response to "giving the people what they want", not anything to do with the bowl nonsense.

Fair enough.

Not sure how you were snowballed. If you look at that stats of the LSU / Bama game, Bama lead in every category, save the final score, only attained in overtime. LSU did not beat Bama, Bama beat themselves. So, after that loss, Bama only dropped only to #3.

Your team, on the other hand, lost in overtime to an unranked team. Please explain how that is comparable.

Somebody gets it. Why people are whining about LSU/Bama I don't get and how anyone thinks it should be OSU instead makes no sense. None. Not wanting Bama because "they had a shot" is weak. This title game should be the 2 best teams in the country going at it. Period. These 2 are obviously it. That they already played in the reg season is not relevant. Sorry if it's not "exciting" enough for you.

Edited by BeeR

Somebody gets it. Why people are whining about LSU/Bama I don't get and how anyone thinks it should be OSU instead makes no sense. None. Not wanting Bama because "they had a shot" is weak. This title game should be the 2 best teams in the country going at it. Period. These 2 are obviously it. That they already played in the reg season is not relevant. Sorry if it's not "exciting" enough for you.

There are currently (4) 11-1 teams and (1) 12-1 team left. LSU is unbeaten and is clearly #1. However anyone who says Bama is "obviously" #2 has nothing but opinion and conjecture to stand on. You can use whatever computers or pollsters thoughts you want to form your opinion, but it's just that an opinion. Identical records are identical records...

Side thought, could you imagine how much less popular the NFL would be if they picked their Superbowl participants in the same way we pick the BCS NC teams? Oh that's right, the NFL uses a playoff format just like every other sport in the world except college football...

and what proof do you submit these are the 2 best teams in the country ? I don't see any proof at all

In fact , Michigan and Ohio State were #1 and #2 , and no one outside of Florida that season thought any differently .

That's why we play the game......Florida got a shot and destroyed Ohio State

Bama got it's shot at LSU , and now it should be OkieSt turn , if not for the knob jobs ESPN and CBS give the SEC

Bama got it's shot at LSU , and now it should be OkieSt turn , if not for the knob jobs ESPN and CBS give the SEC

Yes, and it only took 6 straight years of winning the title game before they get love over big programs like USC (cough, 2004 Auburn, cough)... I think teams like Ohio State and other big programs have gotten enough love over the years that we can dispute that ESPN is biased for anyone besides current "sexy" winners that make them money by talking about...

And even funnier to think that Alabama got in because ESPN (who doesn't have a say in who plays) actually wants 2 teams from the same region, who the majority of the country are complaining about seeing... Those maniacal bastards!

Yes, and it only took 6 straight years of winning the title game before they get love over big programs like USC (cough, 2004 Auburn, cough)... I think teams like Ohio State and other big programs have gotten enough love over the years that we can dispute that ESPN is biased for anyone besides current "sexy" winners that make them money by talking about...

And even funnier to think that Alabama got in because ESPN (who doesn't have a say in who plays) actually wants 2 teams from the same region, who the majority of the country are complaining about seeing... Those maniacal bastards!

ESPN was calling it the "Game of the Century" , I'd say they share a HUGE hand in making the game unveil as we see it.

ESPN and CBS have already been scheduling the LSU/Bama rematch BEFORE the BCS was announced. If your so naive NOT to think they had a hand in this, your delusional , but i guess your name says it all lol :wacko:

SABAN UPDATE

"If you just look at NFL games, you always play teams in the playoffs you played in the regular season, and all those game play out differently," Alabama coach Nick Saban said Sunday night.

Thanks Nick , tell me again where your NFL comparison is again please ? Playoffs? Rematch ? U didn't even make the damn playoffs in your OWN DAMN CONFERENCE !!

and what proof do you submit these are the 2 best teams in the country ? I don't see any proof at all

In fact , Michigan and Ohio State were #1 and #2 , and no one outside of Florida that season thought any differently .

That's why we play the game......Florida got a shot and destroyed Ohio State

I'm not from Florida and I was arguing against a re-match as much as anyone here. For basically the same reasons I am now. In fact, I recall discussing this with a local sports guy on the radio. At one point he said, "Well, we can at least agree that OSU is the best team in the country..." And I stopped him. "No, we can agree that OSU is the only team who absolutely deserves to be in the game. We have no idea whether or not they're the best team in the country, and that is exactly why we have no idea whether, by virtue of having barely lost to them, Michigan is the 2nd best." That's the problem.

Now, this re-match doesn't piss me off quite as much (though I still don't want it), because LSU has a more legit resume this year than OSU did that year. OSU played a pathetic OOC schedule, save a win vs Texas that seemed a whole lot cooler when they were ranked 1 and 2 (or something like that) than when Texas went on to lose another two games. They also avoided Wisconsin (who was top 10 that year) in conference play. LSU, on the other hand, has beaten both the PAC 12 (BCS#5) and Big East Champs OOC. That's in addition to having conference wins against two teams ranked in the top 10. Thus, a narrow loss to LSU does carry more cred with me than a narrow loss to an OSU team who hadn't shown as much.

But still, the main part of the argument holds. We simply don't get enough chances to evaluate the relative strength between conferences, in any given year, to assume that the second best of one is absolutely better than the best of another. And that's the problem. That was the problem in '06, and it's the problem now. So, given that lack of credible data, why are we going with the one who has already lost, at home no less, to LSU?

The one organization that probably didn't want to see this LSU vs Bama game has to be the BCS themselves. Unless of course LSU prevails. Then they can feel good about the process of matching up the two best teams in the BCS NC game. However imagine if Bama wins by a slim margin or worse yet a controversial play. No one really wants to see another split national championship, right?

The BCS committee is probably scratching their heads wondering how can people complain when in fact the human vote is the only reason why Bama is in this game. :wacko:

The one organization that probably didn't want to see this LSU vs Bama game has to be the BCS themselves. Unless of course LSU prevails. Then they can feel good about the process of matching up the two best teams in the BCS NC game. However imagine if Bama wins by a slim margin or worse yet a controversial play. No one really wants to see another split national championship, right?

The BCS committee is probably scratching their heads wondering how can people complain when in fact the human vote is the only reason why Bama is in this game. :wacko:

I don't really think the BCS is concerned at all , in fact ESPN and the BCS are in bed together on this one. ESPN has did nothing but pump up a rematch well before the final polls were announced. I know ESPN , the SEC and the BCS are strong partners and I see little evidence that would support fair play here in leau of a business venture.

I'll be boycotting every BCS game this year and every year to come until they come up with a system that doesn't permit the powers that be to manipulate a National Championship, allow coaches ( probably assistant coaches or an athletic directors secretary's) to vote with such bias it's comical. If Missouri wasn't headed to the SEC , do you really think their coach would have voted Bama ahead of OSU? Hell NO ! If Saban wasn't in contention do you really believe he would have put Stanford ahead of OSU ? Hell NO!! It's a joke ! Now let's complicate the human aspect even futher with this ridiculous Harris Poll , that is more tainted then the coaches poll . If you don't think final votes are not being purchased by Harris Poll voters, you'd be pretty delusional.

Hope you all enjoy your bowl season and I'll raise a toast to another mythical National Champion from a distance.

I'm hoping Okie St wins by 20+ and Bama wins by 1 on a last second FG , there 4th of the game lol

I don't really think the BCS is concerned at all , in fact ESPN and the BCS are in bed together on this one. ESPN has did nothing but pump up a rematch well before the final polls were announced. I know ESPN , the SEC and the BCS are strong partners and I see little evidence that would support fair play here in leau of a business venture.

I'll be boycotting every BCS game this year and every year to come until they come up with a system that doesn't permit the powers that be to manipulate a National Championship, allow coaches ( probably assistant coaches or an athletic directors secretary's) to vote with such bias it's comical. If Missouri wasn't headed to the SEC , do you really think their coach would have voted Bama ahead of OSU? Hell NO ! If Saban wasn't in contention do you really believe he would have put Stanford ahead of OSU ? Hell NO!! It's a joke ! Now let's complicate the human aspect even futher with this ridiculous Harris Poll , that is more tainted then the coaches poll . If you don't think final votes are not being purchased by Harris Poll voters, you'd be pretty delusional.

Hope you all enjoy your bowl season and I'll raise a toast to another mythical National Champion from a distance.

I'm hoping Okie St wins by 20+ and Bama wins by 1 on a last second FG , there 4th of the game lol

You'll be missed.

How many votes do SEC teams have in the coaches poll?

How many votes do people with a vested interest in seeing the SEC do well have in the Harris poll?

Next, where are the largest media centers in the US. The NE, Cali, Texas and Florida. Also, the Midwest has three of the top 8 states with Illinois, Ohio and MI. How in the hell does it benefit the BCS, the media, etc... to potentially alienate 96,649,000 people.

Believe me, if Bama had have been pushed out, outside of the state of AL you would not have seen that much outrage. The SEC homers got their team in the game, we'd have dealt with it. We'd have watched as OSU played LSU and we would have watched Bama and Stanford. We would have said "we told you so" after LSU beat OSU and after Bama mopped the field with Andrew Luck, injuring him so badly that he would have dropped to the status of an undrafted FA.

The BCS took a HUGH risk sticking to their guns and placing LSU and Bama in this game. Especially considering the fact that after the first game there were numerous articles, in every major sports news outlet, about how incredibly, mind numbingly, boring that game was.

Also, is the AP bought by the SEC? You know, they have Bama ranked #2 as well.

I'm just curious, which are the other "mythical national champions" to which you are referring?

Just an FYI, there have been instances where a team who did not win their conference out right or was even runner-up was invited to the BCS championship game (they all lost):

1998 - FSU

2001 - Nebraska

2003 - Oklahoma

Further, do you really want to expose one of those poor unsuspecting "national powerhouses" to the wrath of the SEC champ for the 6th year in a row? C'mon, have some mercy on these poor guys, let them enjoy their post season and the bowl trip that they fought so hard for. Oklahoma, Texas and Ohio St. haven't been the same since getting their pants dropped on the national stage by the SEC champ. :wacko:

You'll be missed.

How many votes do SEC teams have in the coaches poll?

How many votes do people with a vested interest in seeing the SEC do well have in the Harris poll?

Next, where are the largest media centers in the US. The NE, Cali, Texas and Florida. Also, the Midwest has three of the top 8 states with Illinois, Ohio and MI. How in the hell does it benefit the BCS, the media, etc... to potentially alienate 96,649,000 people.

Believe me, if Bama had have been pushed out, outside of the state of AL you would not have seen that much outrage. The SEC homers got their team in the game, we'd have dealt with it. We'd have watched as OSU played LSU and we would have watched Bama and Stanford. We would have said "we told you so" after LSU beat OSU and after Bama mopped the field with Andrew Luck, injuring him so badly that he would have dropped to the status of an undrafted FA.

The BCS took a HUGH risk sticking to their guns and placing LSU and Bama in this game. Especially considering the fact that after the first game there were numerous articles, in every major sports news outlet, about how incredibly, mind numbingly, boring that game was.

Also, is the AP bought by the SEC? You know, they have Bama ranked #2 as well.

I'm just curious, which are the other "mythical national champions" to which you are referring?

Just an FYI, there have been instances where a team who did not win their conference out right or was even runner-up was invited to the BCS championship game (they all lost):

1998 - FSU

2001 - Nebraska

2003 - Oklahoma

Further, do you really want to expose one of those poor unsuspecting "national powerhouses" to the wrath of the SEC champ for the 6th year in a row? C'mon, have some mercy on these poor guys, let them enjoy their post season and the bowl trip that they fought so hard for. Oklahoma, Texas and Ohio St. haven't been the same since getting their pants dropped on the national stage by the SEC champ. :wacko:

Well put... When the bowl system is set up so that teams from more regions make it to big BCS games, thus giving them more big games for more markets, so it makes zero sense to think they're actively setting it up to alienate fans with only 1 region making it... If anything, I think they've felt the pressure and are trying too hard to make sure that the 2 most deserving teams get in to the NC game.

If they truly didn't care about representation, and just wanted to jam as many SEC teams as possible into big games, then they'd have a playoff rather than the current system where only 2 out of the 3 BCS eligible teams from the SEC made a BCS bowl game. The current system is set up for national interest, so it makes zero sense for them to have alterior motives that would alienate those other markets besides the SEC. I can assure you they're just as interested in the $$ all the other teams bring in as they are what SEC teams bring in.

If you think there's a bias going on here, there is, but it's purely to make money (though that is what makes it a bit puzzling, since that decision could stand to hurt the game financially).... But all that means is that it's highly unlikely that there's a sinister motive to get an all SEC-game. It's just not in the NCAA's best interest, other than to succumb to pressure to put the 2 top teams in.

Yeah, how can people complain about math formulas and human voting when all of this could be decided on the football field?

Florida State did win the ACC in 1998. They were 7-1 in conference play with Georgia Tech, and won their head to head meeting. They earned the automatic bid. You are right about Nebraska in 2001 and Oklahoma in 2003. And you know what, I b|tched about it then, and I'm b|tching about it now. And for the record, yes ESPN and CBS didn't do Oklahoma State, or anyone else besides Alabama any favors. I got a kick out of watching OSU-OU on Saturday night, as OSU is absolutely dismantling them, and the whole time, you have the ESPN scroll on the bottom every 5 minutes talking about how ESPN is projecting the rematch. I find that to be absolutely absurd! You got Harris Poll voters, WATCHING the game, and ESPN is telling them how they are going to vote. Worse yet is CBS, but what can you expect from them?

edit to add: You did say "outrright" you need to add Ohio State in 2002 to that list. They didn't win the Big Ten outright that year.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

Um, "people" were not given a say in who is doing the voting, so it is, actually, quite understandable that "people" are pissed off with the result even if it is the result of the human vote. If I think this whole mess is a crock of chight, then I don't really care what part of that crock of chight is responsible for what. I'm complaining because I think it sucks. And, honestly, I think it sucks every single year. They luck out some times, like in 2005 when there were only Texas and USC, but then it was just a crappy system that lucked out and there's no reason to think that those two teams wouldn't have still met had they been forced to play through a few rounds of play-offs. And if they didn't? Well sucks for them.

This Bama thing is hardly the worst abortion of the BCS, it's just this year's BCS abortion. Next year, it will be some other stupid eff-up.

Florida State did win the ACC in 1998. They were 7-1 in conference play with Georgia Tech, and won their head to head meeting. They earned the automatic bid. You are right about Nebraska in 2001 and Oklahoma in 2003. And you know what, I b|tched about it then, and I'm b|tching about it now. And for the record, yes ESPN and CBS didn't do Oklahoma State, or anyone else besides Alabama any favors. I got a kick out of watching OSU-OU on Saturday night, as OSU is absolutely dismantling them, and the whole time, you have the ESPN scroll on the bottom every 5 minutes talking about how ESPN is projecting the rematch. I find that to be absolutely absurd! You got Harris Poll voters, WATCHING the game, and ESPN is telling them how they are going to vote. Worse yet is CBS, but what can you expect from them?

edit to add: You did say "outrright" you need to add Ohio State in 2002 to that list. They didn't win the Big Ten outright that year.

TECH, FSU TIE FOR ACC CROWN

For only the third time in 32 years, the conference featured co-champions in football as Florida State and Georgia Tech deadlocked with 7-1 league marks... for Florida State, 1998 marked the seventh-straight year that the Seminoles have won outright, or tied, for the league crown while the Yellow Jackets captured a share of their first ACC title since 1990, and second overall.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec.../073099aac.html

You are correct, I forgot about Ohio State and Iowa being co-champs in 2002.

BTW, I am not in favor of the BCS system, just simply pointing out that what happened this year is not some grand conspiracy laced with undue favoritism.

Believe me, if Bama had have been pushed out, outside of the state of AL you would not have seen that much outrage. The SEC homers got their team in the game, we'd have dealt with it.

Sort like the way this guy thinks :wacko:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog...n=ncaaf-wp11151

LSU is No. 1. LSU is so No. 1, even a score-settling upset by Alabama in the BCS Championship Game can't knock it out of No. 1. If the Tigers beat the Crimson Tide a second time, they'll ascend to the ranks of the greatest teams of the last 30 years. If I could reserve my entire top five exclusively for LSU, I would.

• Now for that other thing. I did rank Oklahoma State No. 2, because the structure of the poll mandates that there must be a No. 2, but my default position remains that Oklahoma State and Alabama are 2a and 2b. Oklahoma State has a better set of wins — three vs. ranked teams to Alabama's two, seven vs. winning teams to Alabama's three — but the Crimson Tide have been more dominant against a perfectly respectable slate and didn't lose to a 6-6 team.

Alabama's case is not furthered by S-E-C chest thumping because a) The Big 12 easily matched or exceeded the SEC for quality depth, and :tup: Alabama didn't face either of the best teams in the SEC's East Division, Georgia and South Carolina. Oklahoma State endured a nine-game, round-robin conference schedule that did not include any weeks off to casually feast on Georgia Southern, and survived the grind to win the conference title outright. Alabama didn't win its own division. Under the circumstances, I would think the Crimson Tide would be satisfied to call it a wash.

You know what I'd be content with? Big 10 champ plays Pac 12 champ in the Rose Bowl on January 1st.

Let the SEC and Big12 have their inferiority complex petted with a BCS trophy.

You mean superiority complex. Perhaps, but that's definitely plenty balanced by those like the professor and TOS who must have an inferiority complex about their conferences and teams to the point of claiming ESPN bias, when they never used to shut up about USC and Ohio State, and the BCS put USC and Texas in over an Auburn team that ran the table in the SEC on a strong year... . So which side do you think is being more delusional here?

They're jerking off the SEC now becuase they've been on top for 6 straight years, just like they did USC and OSU before that.... I figured people realized by now that ESPN's only bias is money (which also pretty much craps on the idea of them influencing an all SEC rematch of a championship).

Edited by delusions of granduer

...... TOS who must have an inferiority complex about their conferences and teams to the point of claiming ESPN bias

Do you live in an igloo somewhere in Alaska with poor internet connection and no google search engine ?

I'm simply echoing the thoughts of 90% of Americans that also claim ESPN and CBS bias for a rematch . Those are not my well conceived ideas, but ideas of countless observers that pay much closer attention to college football then I have. I simply agree 100% with them :wacko: Now take off your blinders, the sun doesn't shine that bright up there :tup:

When you get broadband download the google toolbar and search for yourself . Try to find 1 national poll that disagrees with this view , try to find 1 national poll that supports a rematch.

Edited by theeohiostate