[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Perry Riley

tazinib1

picked him up in 3 IDP leagues about 3 weeks ago when he got the nod to take over at MLB for the Skins. Thoughts? Dude is a tackling machine!!

Picked him up in 4 of my 5 leagues. Actually had him in 2 already but made sure I got him in the other 2. I think he has been playing very well and could eventually take Fletcher's spot when he retires.

I think he has some upside but not sure he will ever be a big time stud. He plays a bit stiff in the hips and doesn't seem to move forward very well. I doubt he will ever have any affect in blitzing which does limit schemes.

So far though he is a great tackler. One strike against is so many assisted tackles. The sample size is very small so this may not necessarily mean his reaction time is slow but one really likes to see more solo tackles. To me he is a more of SS LB but it is early and certainly a player to monitor as he may develop into a strong 3-down MLB.

This year next year looks to be pretty strong at MLB so I could see the Skins grabbing an impact LB early that is more a prototype MLB. In the event they do not, I will try to get him in my auction next year as he is unprotected.

That said, guarded optimism is how I view him. He is a great tackler which is a huge plus on running downs and does seem to have a high motor.

I think he has some upside but not sure he will ever be a big time stud. He plays a bit stiff in the hips and doesn't seem to move forward very well. I doubt he will ever have any affect in blitzing which does limit schemes.

So far though he is a great tackler. One strike against is so many assisted tackles. The sample size is very small so this may not necessarily mean his reaction time is slow but one really likes to see more solo tackles. To me he is a more of SS LB but it is early and certainly a player to monitor as he may develop into a strong 3-down MLB.

This year next year looks to be pretty strong at MLB so I could see the Skins grabbing an impact LB early that is more a prototype MLB. In the event they do not, I will try to get him in my auction next year as he is unprotected.

That said, guarded optimism is how I view him. He is a great tackler which is a huge plus on running downs and does seem to have a high motor.

Riley was drafted as the MLB of the future. McIntosh was averaging 7 tackles before he went down. In 4 weeks, Riley has racked up 42 tackles, averaging 10.5 I understand that there are alot of Assists...but last time I checked, those count in FF :wacko: As far developing into a 3 down LB, I'll give you his defensive snap count the past 4 games:

vs. Miami 67/69

vs. Dallas 77/77

vs. Seattle 66/67

vs. NYJ 54/67 (Not sure why his snap count dropped against the Jets)

Looks like he is developing pretty fast.

Every year I get hooked on a young LB that slipped through the cracks. I've struck out a few times but for the most part, I think I can pick em out of the WW pretty well.

Riley was drafted as the MLB of the future. McIntosh was averaging 7 tackles before he went down. In 4 weeks, Riley has racked up 42 tackles, averaging 10.5 I understand that there are alot of Assists...but last time I checked, those count in FF :wacko: As far developing into a 3 down LB, I'll give you his defensive snap count the past 4 games:

vs. Miami 67/69

vs. Dallas 77/77

vs. Seattle 66/67

vs. NYJ 54/67 (Not sure why his snap count dropped against the Jets)

Looks like he is developing pretty fast.

Every year I get hooked on a young LB that slipped through the cracks. I've struck out a few times but for the most part, I think I can pick em out of the WW pretty well.

I would just say, that I really don't believe he was drafted to replace Fletcher or as a MLB. I really like his play but the Redskins have been transitioning hard away from 4/3 schemes it appears when you watch them.

While technically an inside backer he sure seems to be the SS LB so far so scheme may make him a better spot starter long term when facing strong TE use teams.

I agree he has been a very good WW pick up. He reminds a bit of Bowman who is another great pickup, but probably long gone, especially given Willis's hammy issues. If he plays like him into the future then he is a major find.

In our league it is a hard salary cap, contract league with drop penalties so not worth me grabbing him at this point but he is a player I am watching. However, if I was weak at the position I would grab him as he is the 10th rated LB since week 10.

If he shows more forward burst he could slide over to Fletcher spot next year as he is ancient but I think they may draft that position next year.

No doubt though, he is a solid start if you are looking for a LB 2 or 3. No doubt assists are big in fantasy but long term I look for a 3 to 3.5 to 1 ratio. Since Riley as moved into the starting lineup he is 50-50; 21 tackles 21 assists. This is a small concern is all I am saying and the sample size is quite small but is interesting.

Edited by Ice1

I would just say, that I really don't believe he was drafted to replace Fletcher or as a MLB.

Except he was.

Post-Draft Outlook: A closer look at the Redskins' picks: Round 4/103 -- Perry Riley, LB, 6-1, 239, Louisiana State: Riley will become an inside linebacker in the Redskins' new 3-4 defense after playing weakside linebacker in college. He's a sure tackler and should provide quality depth. With incumbent starter Rocky McIntosh scheduled for unrestricted free agency in 2011, Riley has a prime opportunity to make an impact at MLB in the very near future.

And lets not forget he was a Butkis Award winner finalist in 2008.

I'm not claiming the guy is the next great IDP LB or anything, but the Redskins drafted him for a reason and its bearing fruit. Glad I have him on my rosters. :smile: