[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Norris Division is Back!

Outshined

Lets get the old rivalries going again...Ok - its not the same teams, but close enough. The NHL is doing the right thing here.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/135071113.html

I'm fine with the new alignment. It makes sense. There was word of pulling the Flyers out of the Pens division. That would have ticked me off big time !!!! :wacko:

I dunno.....based on geography the C and D divisions would make more sense like:

C: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, NYI, NYR, Ottowa, Toronto

D: Carolina, Florida, NJ, Phi, Pitt, Tampa, WAS

Who knows what their exact reasoning is, but those are definitely the best grographical groups for the majority IMO

The reasons? 1) Better geographical rivalries; 2) shorter flights; 3) fiscally more desirable; 4) less occasions through customs; 5) earlier start times, meaning fans can watch more road games on TV without staying up until midnight.

From the article. These are all good reasons especially #5 for this past week. The Wild are on an amazing streak and I only watch the first period or so. I like to watch hockey, but I am not going to give up my sleep for it.

I dunno.....based on geography the C and D divisions would make more sense like:

C: Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, NYI, NYR, Ottowa, Toronto

D: Carolina, Florida, NJ, Phi, Pitt, Tampa, WAS

Who knows what their exact reasoning is, but those are definitely the best grographical groups for the majority IMO

I thought the same. Seems odd they have the Fla teams heading up to Canada when it may make more sense to have teams more from the northeast head up and keep the Fla teams closer to the SE :tup:

I like it...alot. Love to see the Jets playing Chicago and Minnesota. Just not so sure about the playoff format. Think your going to have alot of top teams knocked out early.

Be careful what you wish for, archie :wacko:

The reasons? 1) Better geographical rivalries; 2) shorter flights; 3) fiscally more desirable; 4) less occasions through customs; 5) earlier start times, meaning fans can watch more road games on TV without staying up until midnight.

From the article. These are all good reasons especially #5 for this past week. The Wild are on an amazing streak and I only watch the first period or so. I like to watch hockey, but I am not going to give up my sleep for it.

Agreed.

It will be nice to not have to stay up so late during the week to watch the Wild @ Van, Cal, Edm. Plus, it was a lot less likely Wild fan were going to go watch the team play in those cities. The tv shedule should be much better after the re-align as well as the opportunity for more fans to travel and watch the team play on the road.

It will never get back to being like the old Norris (Secord SUCKS!!), but I think this is a good move for the NHL and definitely helps the Wild.

• 4 weeks later...
I thought the same. Seems odd they have the Fla teams heading up to Canada when it may make more sense to have teams more from the northeast head up and keep the Fla teams closer to the SE :wacko:

Be careful what you wish for, archie :shades

I would love to see...the Jets are back and they are young. I would say they might be a contender in that division next year. And I"m not just saying that because Im a Jets fan. They truly look good and the confidence is growing. Good team, good coaching, good ownership and great fans. I think alot of teams are going to like having them in their division.:

Agreed.

It will be nice to not have to stay up so late during the week to watch the Wild @ Van, Cal, Edm. Plus, it was a lot less likely Wild fan were going to go watch the team play in those cities. The tv shedule should be much better after the re-align as well as the opportunity for more fans to travel and watch the team play on the road.

It will never get back to being like the old Norris (Secord SUCKS!!), but I think this is a good move for the NHL and definitely helps the Wild.

I would love to see...the Jets are back and they are young. I would say they might be a contender in that division next year. And I"m not just saying that because Im a Jets fan. They truly look good and the confidence is growing. Good team, good coaching, good ownership and great fans. I think alot of teams are going to like having them in their division.:

I just don't think having the first two rounds of the playoffs being with in your division is a smart thing. I thought they wanted to have the best chance of the best teams in the finals. There are going to be alot of good teams knocked out in their own division playoffs if this happens. Rather see Division rivals making it to the finals.

Same division as Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Minnesota, Nashville? Yikes. But I'm with you, I love the direction they are heading in.

I thought the same. Seems odd they have the Fla teams heading up to Canada when it may make more sense to have teams more from the northeast head up and keep the Fla teams closer to the SE :wacko:

I was thinking about this - maybe the NHL is trying to keep annual travel distances equitable - i.e. instead of having a division where teams are separated by a couple hundred miles and other divisions where there is a much greater distance between members (i.e. out West), they threw the Fla teams in a primarily NE division to keep everyone's "miles traveled" in the same ballpark.

If you think of it that way, it makes more sense.