[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pujols to the Angels ($250 million for 10 years)

wiegie

As a Cardinals fan, I'm disappointed that he didn't stay. But given the offer the Angels made, I blame neither Pujols nor the Cardinals for him leaving.

I wonder if the change in venue and team lineup will affect his stats one way or the other?

Edited by Ursa Majoris

As a Cardinals fan, I'm disappointed that he didn't stay. But given the offer the Angels made, I blame neither Pujols nor the Cardinals for him leaving.

I can't fault Pujols for leaving either but I wish athletes would stop saying "it's not about the money" and then bolting to the team that offers the fattest contract.

I would think if your honest about it things like this might go over better. Just say, "it's all about the money" instead of BS-ing everyone.

I feel the same as weigie. Albert sure leaves us a lot of memories but the roughly $40 million difference between the Angels offer and the Cards offer is a lot to ask ANYONE to walk away from. So good luck to you, Mr. Pujols, and may you give the fans in Southern California 10 years of thrills like you gave us in St. Louis.

I disagree, I think he should have stayed in St. Louis..sure it isn't my money but even staying with the Cards he would have banked more money than god...I guess I am just old school and miss the days when guys were lifers with their teams....I understand the need to make more money but it wasn't like he would need to live in a shack or live like a pauper to stay in St. Louis.

Would you like to put $250 million dollars into perspective?

Let's say you've had a really good job, for a really long time. Let's say, in fact, that your job pays $20 an hour, which, while it isn't bad these days, would have been a really REALLY good job even less than a century ago. Now let's say you've had that same job at the same wage for the entirety of recorded human history, since about four thousand years before Christ.

So $20 an hour times 2080 hours a year times 6000 years equals $249,600,000.

Nope, Pujols still gets paid more than you.

Edited by Axe Elf

fair enough...but I still think he should have stayed in St. Louis

Yeah, the whole thing astounds me. St. Louis was willing to retire him and give him 220 million dollars. And it wasn't enough.

If I'm a St. Louis fan, I say to Pujols:

Suck it you greedy bassturd. :wacko:

There's more to this than money too, not for nothing he's better off in the AL where he can transition to DH when he hits 40. He'll be making bank and not having to take the field every day. And I don't get the hate on him for taking an extra 40 million. The difference between 225 and 226 million dollars is a MILLION FREAKING DOLLARS - which is a LOT OF SCRATCH. And he got 30x that. So he' an A-Hole now?

What do you expect from A Pooh Hole?

Actually, from what I have read, with incentives that are built into the contract, it could be worth up to $70 million more than the Cardinals offer.

In addition, the offer from the Cardinals included deferring competition out until 2029 or somesuch, while the Angels offer did not include any deferred compensation, meaning he actually gets paid during the course of the contract.

So sure, say he should have given the Cards a hometown discount for 30 million, but for up to 70 million including getting paid NOW rather than 20 years from now, heck yeah I take the deal and run.

If I were a Cardinal fan, I'd be content knowing that players that sign large contracts with teams that aren't the Yankees have a very poor track record with winning ballgames that matter. I'd also be content with two trophies, including a memorable 2011 season that ranks right up there with any team in any sport.

Otherwise, F the guy.

He is a beast and i have no doubt he will have at least 3-5 very productive pujols like years ...after that his age will slow him down ...it just happens ...I think Angels are paying him for 6 great years max and that is alot of money if that is the case

the DH possibility helps him as well but i think at 38 - 39 yrs old we will see a very different Pujols than what we say now

with all this said , cant blame Pujols and the angels just got much , much better

Would you like to put $250 million dollars into perspective?

Here's another perspective.

$250m versus the $210m is, obviously, $40 million. It's $25m / yr versus $21m / yr.

Translate that into the kind of money normal people make. Let's take the $250 million and call it $100,000. That makes the $210 million equivalent to $84,000.

Who wouldn't go for a move from their $84,000 job to a job paying $100,000, all other things being equal?

Here's another perspective.

$250m versus the $210m is, obviously, $40 million. It's $25m / yr versus $21m / yr.

Translate that into the kind of money normal people make. Let's take the $250 million and call it $100,000. That makes the $210 million equivalent to $84,000.

Who wouldn't go for a move from their $84,000 job to a job paying $100,000, all other things being equal?

the difference is that with an 84K salary there are things you can't do that you can with a 100K salary...there isn't really anything you can't do with 210m that you can with 250m

the difference is that with an 84K salary there are things you can't do that you can with a 100K salary...there isn't really anything you can't do with 210m that you can with 250m

Exactly, I have to disagree with all the people stating that we need to put this into perspective. The greedy turd was making serious money, money NONE of us could ever imagine making.

This is the quote that has the town pissed off:

"People from other teams want to play in St. Louis and they're jealous that we're in St. Louis because the fans are unbelievable. So why would you want to leave a place like St. Louis to go somewhere else and make $3 or $4 more million a year? It's not about the money. I already got my money. It's about winning and that's it. It's about accomplishing my goal and my goal is to try to win. If this organization shifts the other way then I have to go the other way."

Best quote I heard from Mozeliak when asked about Pujols and his legacy in STL - "He'll be remembered but he's certainly no Stan Musial."

I am a hugh Cardinal fan and am not as upset about the move as I thought I would be. First I think this type of money would have hurt the Cards in the long term. Sure we keep him now but what about trying to stay competitive a few years from now? Second and you may call me crazy but I think we have already seen Alberts best years. This past seasons early struggles worried me a bit and he may be ready to start the slow decline. Will there be some great years ahead? Sure but I also wouldn't be at all surprised to see some duds sprinkled in as well.

I will miss Pujols but for the money I think the Cardinals are more likely to be a better team long term by letting him go.

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to say anything about Pujols or whether he should or should not have made the move or whatever. In fact, I don't really follow baseball and couldn't care less about who plays where.

The point I was making is that NO human being should be paid $250 million dollars, when that's more than any middle-class person could expect to earn in the entire recorded history of the world--but if they are, it should be for working on a cure for cancer or AIDS or renewable energy or food supplements to end malnutrition or ways to halt child abuse and neglect--not for playing a freaking GAME!

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to say anything about Pujols or whether he should or should not have made the move or whatever. In fact, I don't really follow baseball and couldn't care less about who plays where.

The point I was making is that NO human being should be paid $250 million dollars, when that's more than any middle-class person could expect to earn in the entire recorded history of the world--but if they are, it should be for working on a cure for cancer or AIDS or renewable energy or food supplements to end malnutrition or ways to halt child abuse and neglect--not for playing a freaking GAME!

Why do you hate America?