[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I smoke cigs......

tazinib1

This has happening to me more and more lately. I'm walking down the street smoking a cig and a person (both m/f) walk by me and as they pass, I get a "COUGH COUGH". Now I realize that some people are allergic to tobacco smoke. I get that some people think smoking is disgusting. I get that the smell is offensive. I don't need some prick to give me a "COUGH COUGH" as they walk by. Last night was the final straw. I'm walking to the corner market to buy a pack of smokes actually and I'm down to my last cig as I walk. I get this snooty old biatch with her dog walking the opposite direction. Its clear I'm smoking as our eyes meet aobut a 1/4 block away. She passes me, with her dog, and goes out of her way to walk into a neighbors yard to clear me. I hear this "COUGH COUGH..its ok sweety". That did it...I turned and shouted "You could have crossed the street ya know COUGH COUGH". I'm sick of the passive COUGH COUGH from the non smokers. Get over it....I'm outside. In my business, you better damned well be aware of where you are and who's on set when you wanna duck for a smoke. You have to be mindful of the wind direction, where you are and WHEN you can go grab a smoke. I'm probably the most polite smoker out there. I even hold my smoke in if a person is passing me or if a family with a child is coming near me. Just knock off the "COUGH COUGH"....its childish.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt that smokers are treated like second class citizens (I'm a smoker myself, unfortunately). Can you imagine if people walked up to a drug addict in rehab and started berating them?

People don't seem to realize that it's an addiction, and I'd rather not have to go out into the cold just to get a nicotine fix.... It's a mistake that the vast majority of smokers make when they're young and foolish, and already continue to pay for in absurd taxes and price hikes, as well as in health effects, non-consideration for certain jobs, etc... So especially when people like you and me go out of our way to try to bother as few people as possible, it makes me sick too the way the people treat us that way.... I noticed in my trips to Cali, and in particular the Bay area, that people are really a-holes about it, even when it's completely open air and away from crowds...

Seriously, does anyone know a person who's been smoking a long time who doesn't want to quit? Everyone does, and people who aren't sympathetic to that have obviously never had to deal with an addiction, and not just a mental, but a physical one...

If a person gets an unexpected puff in the face and coughs about it understandable. If they are just exagerrated fake coughing to show their displeasure then F em

If a person gets an unexpected puff in the face and coughs about it understandable. If they are just exagerrated fake coughing to show their displeasure then F em

Thats what I'm referring to. I've never, EVER, intentionally blown smoke in somebody's face. In fact, on this particular occasion, and for the most part, I hold my smoke in until they pass.

Seriously, does anyone know a person who's been smoking a long time who doesn't want to quit? Everyone does, and people who aren't sympathetic to that have obviously never had to deal with an addiction, and not just a mental, but a physical one...

:raiseshand: I have absolutely no desire to quit. Never have. People don't like me smoking....they can hold their breath. Screw 'em.

What? We can't be openly prejudice against smokers? What fun is left out there?

You know, a dogs's smell is 100,000 times better than a human's, so she was probably trying to spare her poor doggy from any closer contact.

That is true, but smoke rises and last time I checked, dogs don't say "COUGH COUGH".

guess it depends how you define "want".

As in, would prefer to not be addicted to a deadly product that has risen from $2 to $5 a pack in the time that I've gotten more and more addicted; that makes my clothes and fingers stink offensively to other people after I stand out in the heat or cold to go do it; is no longer tolerated by public places, bars, or even in public open-air areas, let alone employers; and does literally nothing anymore but kill the craving for another 30 minutes to an hour.... I think that pretty much covers why it is not such a fun, satisfying and desirable habit.

Of course that's a bit different than having the will to quit, but that's not so easy for easily addicted folks like myself.... Hell, I can't even get myself to stop arguing with random fools on a football message board, while I've got other stuff to do. :wacko:

The coughing thing is lame. You've got legs - walk away from the smoker.

Living in NYC, however, I do hate seeing all of the cigarette butts on the ground every time I go out. A smoker friend explained that he doesn't like to use the trash cans because they could catch fire. Fine - carry the incredibly heavy cigarette back inside and get rid of it there.

The coughing thing is lame. You've got legs - walk away from the smoker.

Living in NYC, however, I do hate seeing all of the cigarette butts on the ground every time I go out. A smoker friend explained that he doesn't like to use the trash cans because they could catch fire. Fine - carry the incredibly heavy cigarette back inside and get rid of it there.

Explain to your friend what "field stripping" is. You basically twist the tobacco out of the sleeve and then step on it. That stuff washes or blows away. You can then put the butt in the trash. One of the big no no's on set is to throw your butt on the ground.

ya know, for every rude old lady with a toy dog and a fake cough, there are probably 10 assh0le smokers who fling their burning butts out the window or blithely toss them on the ground. the persecuted victim mentality (whether justified or not) seems to have turned many smokers into whiners and jerks.

ya know, for every rude old lady with a toy dog and a fake cough, there are probably 10 assh0le smokers who fling their burning butts out the window or blithely toss them on the ground. the persecuted victim mentality (whether justified or not) seems to have turned many smokers into whiners and jerks.

Yeah, remember when they used to be cool. They're all dead now.