[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I smoke cigs......

tazinib1

Well well...seems I touched a nerve :wacko:

My urge to attempt to quit smoking is growing every day. I used to think about it once a month at most. Now I think about it almost daily. I'm getting up the nerve I think. After 30 years (yes I started at age 13), its getting to be that time.

Now..back to the :tup:

So.... send me a PM.

At "another FF site", I read a thread about quitting. In the end, 57 people tried, 53 suceeded in quitting. A quit rate like that... is what I'm talkin about. I was up to 2 1/2 to 3 packs a day, Marlboro lights. Hard core. Haven't had a puff in over 10 months. It isn't a cake walk, but it was FAR easier than I could have hoped for. You have to WANT it. If you do... I can show you the way.

I feel like a BYU grad. :lol: But no, I don't believe I will get my own solar system to be god over.... just quitting.

Seriously... if you are ready, I can give you links to forums and suppliers who can make it infinitely easier to quit.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So.... send me a PM.

At "another FF site", I read a thread about quitting. In the end, 57 people tried, 53 suceeded in quitting. A quit rate like that... is what I'm talkin about. I was up to 2 1/2 to 3 packs a day, Marlboro lights. Hard core. Haven't had a puff in over 10 months. It isn't a cake walk, but it was FAR easier than I could have hoped for. You have to WANT it. If you do... I can show you the way.

I feel like a BYU grad. :wacko: But no, I don't believe I will get my own solar system to be god over.... just quitting.

Seriously... if you are ready, I can give you links to forums and suppliers who can make it infinitely easier to quit.

I smoke 2 packs of Kools per day. And yes, when I'm ready...and I mean really ready, I'll hit you up. I don't want to go into it half assed cause thats a recipe for failure. Getting close to it mentally than I ever have been.

Edited by tazinib1

I don't think that has ever happened to me. I'd probably respond with a big, fat, smoky "f*ck you". That's generally my response to any negative comments I recieve as I slink my way through another 24 hours anyways.

I'm about to make attempt #6 starting Saturday when I wake up. Nocorette lozenges this time and the statistics indicate if I use the free support stuff I double my chances of success. If you are offended by the fact I have been unsuccessful at quitting 5 previous times, well, you know.

Oh yes. Yes indeed.

:wacko: Yup, I wasn't addicted in the womb because my mom smoked while preg with me too. But.... BeeR is a lost cause wrapped up in his own enigma. But he's right(ously) correct, just ask him!

Taz.... when you are REALLY ready, and REALLY want it.... the rest will be amazingly easy with the electronic cig products now available. You (if like me) will still bhe nicotine addicted, but the health threats of cancer and enphysema (COPD) will go away, as will the morning coughing. Your lung capacity will grow, as will your stamina, and lest I forget, your life expectancy.

Something people who never smoked can never understand.... as much as smoking is a burden, from the trivial annoyances you posted in this thread, to the more serious cvonsequences, YOU, the individual has to me majorly stoked to make an attempt. It's a mutha, especially for people like you and I.

On previous quit attempts, it would take me months just to work up to trying. Pep talks, financial reviews, cursing myself in the mornings with all the coughing... but this method WORKS. IF you are really, truely ready.

Truth is, if I were a rich man, I would not have quit. It was a finacial armegedon. $100 a carton in NY. Now that I have quit.... it's great.

I don't think that has ever happened to me. I'd probably respond with a big, fat, smoky "f*ck you". That's generally my response to any negative comments I recieve as I slink my way through another 24 hours anyways.

I'm about to make attempt #6 starting Saturday when I wake up. Nocorette lozenges this time and the statistics indicate if I use the free support stuff I double my chances of success. If you are offended by the fact I have been unsuccessful at quitting 5 previous times, well, you know.

PM me for the MOST successful way to quit, if you really want to. Gum and patches did chit for me....

First off, I no longer smoke, so I can see both sides of the issue far more fair mindedly than the likes of you... we all know how unbiased YOU are now, don't we? You just love minorities and all that, right? LOL.

I recall how California was the trend setter, designating Bakersfield as the state's designated smoking area. Go smoke somewhere else? Mars?

Yes, smokers are victims, like it or not. I was a nicotine addict from the moment of conception. My mom didn't know any better, she smoked while pregnant. I was in a smoking household from day one. I bought my first pack when I was 12. Additionally, the comparison to heroin addiction is actually weak only because it has been reported that nicotine is more addictive than heroin actually is... and add the fact that one does not have to break the law to buy it.... it is readilly available. As usual, your predjudices trump your intellectual ability to reason.

Not every nicotine addict became one by choice.... many by being neive, some caving into peer pressure to be cool, but hey, peer pressure has no sway with teenagers, right?

Me, I hate people named BeeR. :rofl:

:tup::lol::wacko:

:tup::lol::wacko:

Don't understand the icons on this one.... both parents smoked. Mom smoked during her entire pregnancy with me. I had nicotine in my blood from in fact, the moment of conception. Did you have some special dispensation from taking high school biology? That doesn't mean you HAD to be a short bus kid, but I am left to consider the possibility.

lol

Why do you keep grabbing a bigger shovel? Trying to get to China?

Let's try one more time, listen carefully: you weren't born (never mind conceived) addicted to nicotine. It doesn't happen. You are unwittingly (emphasis on the unwit part) undermining your own silly comparisons to stuff like heroin. Ask your HS biology teacher if you don't believe me.

Don't understand the icons on this one.... both parents smoked. Mom smoked during her entire pregnancy with me. I had nicotine in my blood from in fact, the moment of conception. Did you have some special dispensation from taking high school biology? That doesn't mean you HAD to be a short bus kid, but I am left to consider the possibility.

Ummm - Both my parents smoked and mom smoked when she was pregnant with two kids. Both mom and dad smoked for the first 16 years of my life. Dad quit cold turkey first try when I was 16 mom quit on her 3rd try when I was probably 23 - neither has had a cig since and I am now 41.

I have never smoked and my sister would have the occasional smoke when she was out having a few drinks. I guess my sister and I are just freaks of nature since we were both addicted from day one.

Edited by gbpfan1231

:wacko: This is very funny.

Typical.

As an ex-smoker, the absolute rudeness of some people towards smokers is WAY over the top. The whole "filthy habit" comment is typical. Freakin heroin addicts get more slack cut. That is a "filthy habit" that also kills far more addicts than cigs do. It also spreads AIDS. Does anyone insult an obvious heroin addict on the street the way they insult smokers?

How about these women who take a bath in stinkin perfume? And then get on a train? That chit makes my eyes water, but it's OK, right?

Look, smokers DO deserve to be cut some slack. Being harrassed on the street simply because they are addicts satisfying a drug urge that is overwhelming... but still LEGAL is horsechit. NOONE ever woke up and said I want to be ball and chain addicted to anything, be it alchohol, illicit drugs (including maryjane) or tobacco. It's just soooo cool to abuse the lowly smoker. PC at it's ugliest IMO.

PS: See my sig line. 10 months and counting from 3 packs a day.

You can't be serious. So, it's not good enough that I'm not outwardly a dick to you while you or some other smoker subjects me to your stench and litter, but I actually have to feel sorry for the put-upon smoker because someone has the nerve to tell them that their habit is sick?

It's really simple. Like I said, I'm not the guy who goes "Cough Cough" when a smoker walks by. However, there are two people involved in this issue. One who has a filthy habit that I do find offensive and one who has decided to confront that person with the filthy habit. Sorry, but I've got nothing for the smoker in this deal because, frankly, I'd just as soon as he not be smoking around me either.

Why, because it stinks. If I'm walking down the street behind someone who is smoking, it stinks. Hell, if I'm driving down the road behind someone who is smoking, it stinks. When my waiters come back in from a smoke break, they effing stink. And then there's all the litter. But, because I realize that we're all on our own path, I'm not going to walk up to you and remind you that your filthy habit is filthy for me as well. That doesn't mean I have to cry one tear for you if someone else does.

Oh, and just to make it clear, if I were constantly tripping over used needles and seeing people shooting up all around me, I'd probably not really embrace that whole scene any more.

ETA: Oh, and for the record, this thread was not started by someone complaining about smokers. This thread was started by a smoker whining that people are mean to him because he smokes. I did not jump into the fray until there was enough chorus whining about how smokers are helpless addicts who need to be loved, not shunned.

Edited by detlef

i still don't get that if a bar/restaurant wants to allow smoking inside, it can't do it by law. if i open my own establishment and i want to allow smoking, i should be able to, and if people don't like it, then don't come to my establishment. seems simple ...

as long as smokers are courteous or at least try to not douse others, then i have no problem. i've never seen anyone blowing smoke around to bother people intentionally, so people shouldn't try to bother smokers intentionally as well.

please do pick up your butts. keep amerika clean.

i still don't get that if a bar/restaurant wants to allow smoking inside, it can't do it by law. if i open my own establishment and i want to allow smoking, i should be able to, and if people don't like it, then don't come to my establishment. seems simple ...

Because non-smokers should be able to work there without worrying about cancer?

If you drive a stinky car that pollutes the air, I'll take your position on the smell of a cigarette or the litter involved under advisement.

Um, if I'm on the highway, and following someone who is smoking, then the whole stinky car thing is more than likely a wash, no?

What is with the, "other people litter to" deal? Of course, and I don't condone any form of littering. But I have to pay someone specifically to go outside my restaurants and pick up cigarette butts. Every now and then, there's some random trash, but there's always butts.

OK, so there's one comparison that I have some empirical evidence to show is rubbish.

"But what about people who wear too much perfume?" Sure, they stink as well. And there seems to be about one of them for every 50 smokers. So, your point again?

So, I don't know what you guys are trying to prove with this, "we're no worse than anyone else" deal, but it's a weak argument. I don't litter. I don't wear too much cologne, so the "doctor heal thyself" bit doesn't cut it. It doesn't make me any more sympathetic about how put upon you feel by mean people who are less than tactful about how they feel about your habit.

Oh, and toronator, I agree. I would not choose to open a place that allowed smoking so I could enjoy the increased market share associated with providing people with a less smelly and toxic eating and drinking environment. However, I do think it should be the choice of the management.

Is it ok to have dangerous wiring in a bar/restaurant? What about an unsanitary kitchen?

The state has the power to protect the health, safety and welfare of the public. And it should.

You cannot deny that a smoking ban protects the health, safety and welfare of the public and at relatively little costs. Its about as much of a no-brainer use of a police power that there is.

I have some empathy for a person whose business has been effected. The overall extent of that effect has been debated and may not be clear. In any event, I have no empathy for persons who claim that they have a "right" to smoke or that a business owner should have the "right" to allow smoking.

The biggest problem, as I see it, is that we allowed smoking in public places in the first place. It kind of boggles the mind if you think about it.