[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Stern kills Lakers' deal for Paul

montster

I need some help here, guys. A three-way trade just went down in my league. It goes like this:

Los Angeles Lakers get Chris Paul

Houston Rockets get Pau Gasol

New Orleans gets Lamar Odom, Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic, Luis Scola and a 2012 first-rounder

Well, a bunch of owners complained that the trade would make the Lakers too powerful, and the commissioner vetoed it! Just wondering what you guys think I should do.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ag9O...nets_nba_120811

What a joke of a league.

If I was the OP, I would quit that league immediately. What's worse, I would never join a league where one team is jointly managed by the rest of the owners to begin with, so I guess he had it coming for being a part of such a bush league anyway.

So when Chris Paul's contract ends & he leaves via free agency next season...the Hornets will get nothing in return. How is this in the "best interest" of the league?

What a bunch of maroons. I'll never watch another minute of NBA evah.

And now Stern rejected a trade to the Clippers.

I take back what I said in one of these threads where I mentioned that the Hornets have a GM. They really don't.

While there’s been no official transition of power, general manager Dell Demps has been completely pushed to the side in deal-making decisions for the Hornets, multiple league sources told Y! Sports.

“He’s basically a spectator now,” one official said.

Stern has two of his top executives – Joel Litvin and Stu Jackson – making calls and conducting negotiations with teams interested in Paul. Demps is still making calls, but rival front offices and agents involved in possible deals with New Orleans say he’s no longer authorized to decide on any transaction.

Honestly, this is absolutely the most insane thing I've seen in pro sports.

If you're already on shaky ground, which the NBA certainly was, you need to play it really really cool coming out of a labor dispute like this. Take a hint from the NFL. Those guys were at it tooth and nail. Then, when they struck a deal, that was it. Back to the business of making money. You never heard another freaking word of it. The NBA is doing it every they can to destroy any ounce of goodwill (if any) they have.

This is beyond anything I can possibly wrap my mind around. We could really stand to keep the Hornets here in New Orleans but the way this is being handled I almost wish the entire NBA would just fold and get it over with. What a joke this league has become.

This is beyond anything I can possibly wrap my mind around. We could really stand to keep the Hornets here in New Orleans but the way this is being handled I almost wish the entire NBA would just fold and get it over with. What a joke this league has become.

It is indeed a joke. I think it needs to contract, or it needs a better salary cap than it has just negotiated.

The issue here though isn't really with wages, the issue is with what players in big markets can earn off the court from endorsements, etc. That's some serious cash.

It is indeed a joke. I think it needs to contract, or it needs a better salary cap than it has just negotiated.

The issue here though isn't really with wages, the issue is with what players in big markets can earn off the court from endorsements, etc. That's some serious cash.

Whatever they need to do, they effing need to do it. Once, and be done with it. Unlike the NFL, where players and owners went to war, and then agreed and moved on, these guys obviously didn't get everything they need to iron out worked out.

You guys realize the real battle is not an owners vs. players thing, it is, was and will continue to be an owners vs. owners issue with large market owners vs. small market owners. Hard to say as they are paid a lot, but the players almost have a legitimate gripe to being the victims in this billionaire bitch fest.

You guys realize the real battle is not an owners vs. players thing, it is, was and will continue to be an owners vs. owners issue with large market owners vs. small market owners. Hard to say as they are paid a lot, but the players almost have a legitimate gripe to being the victims in this billionaire bitch fest.

Sure, but ultimately it doesn't make much difference. They've been losing the public battle for some time. Finally they had a compelling post-season, but any goodwill they got from that they torpedoed with the labor dispute. One that illustrated that nobody gives a crap about them because we barely followed it.

Then, they resolve the issue to the applause of dozens and now are back in the news for all the wrong reasons again.

I'm not sure about that. The difference in potential endorsement income between LA and Minneapolis, for example, is colossal, even if commercials are only local. I still think much of the player movement is driven by the players and agents themselves in an attempt to grab endorsement money in big markets.

From ESPN:

Free agent forward Carl Landry has agreed to re-sign with the New Orleans Hornets, according to ESPN NBA Insider Marc Stein. It's a one-year deal that will pay him $9 million.

Landry shopped his services a bit, but it was probably hard to turn down a $9 million payday. Stein notes that the NBA-owned Hornets wanted to keep cap flexibility going forward, so they paid him a bit more on a short-term deal.

He'll give the team depth in the frontcourt, but he won't have much of a fantasy impact as a reserve behind Chris Kaman and Emeka Okafor -- especially since he does nothing statistically but score.

This is the problem with the NBA. $9M for a back-up.

From ESPN:

Free agent forward Carl Landry has agreed to re-sign with the New Orleans Hornets, according to ESPN NBA Insider Marc Stein. It's a one-year deal that will pay him $9 million.

Landry shopped his services a bit, but it was probably hard to turn down a $9 million payday. Stein notes that the NBA-owned Hornets wanted to keep cap flexibility going forward, so they paid him a bit more on a short-term deal.

He'll give the team depth in the frontcourt, but he won't have much of a fantasy impact as a reserve behind Chris Kaman and Emeka Okafor -- especially since he does nothing statistically but score.

This is the problem with the NBA. $9M for a back-up.

I'm not sure I understand why that is a problem.