[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New puppies.

tbimm

:wacko: So last night was the 1st night with 2 new 4 1/2 week old puppies. The father is a Rott mix and the mother is a Catahoula. Momma decided that the sharp little teeth and her nipples just wouldn't work anymore so.... I have raised a good # of pups but these are about the youngest I have dealt with. They are eating puppy food and drinking water and already learning to go to the bathroom when I take them outside. They are crated when I am not here and so far will not go in the crate. I don't crate train for very long as I have found that incorporating them into the regular living quarters has made training them and keeping them trained much more successful.

Anything special that I should be doing with pups this young? So far they seem fine and will go in at 4 months to be fixed and get all their shots.

Any info I need to know would be appreciated.

Anything special that I should be doing with pups this young?

Talking to a veteranarian about it? Researching on the net? Checking books at the bookstore/library? Not asking a buncha dweebs on an FF site at least?

Edited by BeeR

:wacko: So last night was the 1st night with 2 new 4 1/2 week old puppies.

Any info I need to know would be appreciated.

Start drinking more fluids. That will build up your milk supply so you have more for them to suckle. You also may want to get some of that nipple lotion to keep from drying out. It will make you more comfortable.

I think it's great you're nursing. Will make them better pups and healthier in the long run. Not to mention the emotional bonding you are creating.

Edited by Chief Dick

Talking to a veteranarian about it? Researching on the net? Checking books at the bookstore/library? Not asking a buncha dweebs on an FF site at least?

tbimm has givin a chitload of "Great" mechanical advice here to help others and this is the thanks he gets, c'mon man :wacko:

There are professional trainers and dog rescue people on here. Its certainly worth a shot

Start drinking more fluids. That will build up your milk supply so you have more for them to suckle. You also may want to get some of that nipple lotion to keep from drying out. It will make you more comfortable.

I think it's great you're nursing. Will make them better pups and healthier in the long run. Not to mention the emotional bonding you are creating.

good info here :wacko:

You are a dick. Do me a favor and put me on ignore so you won't be bothered with my worthless posts and I will do the same so I am not reminded again of what a worthless waste of oxygen you are.

Have a great morning and I hope the rest of your day is sunshine and (the really bad word)in roses.

:tup::wacko:

You are a dick. Do me a favor and put me on ignore so you won't be bothered with my worthless posts and I will do the same so I am not reminded again of what a worthless waste of oxygen you are.

Have a great morning and I hope the rest of your day is sunshine and Oprahin roses.

LOL

I thought I was the one w/the temper :wacko:

I was (mostly) messing with you. That time of month?

But if you seriously posted here before doing any of the things I suggested, you are the dick. An irresponsible dick too.

I remember when I found Puddy by the side of the road...cold and hungry. I was able to nurse him back to health the same way. I have leftover nipple lotion if you need it.

Are you planning to keep them and raise them as siblings? If so, you need to do some research on bringing siblings up together. Do a Google on raising littermates puppies. It is easier to Google than me going through the issues on this post, and the info online is good, but the articles on line do paint a scarier picture than it usually is. With that said, there can be hugh issues with puppies overbonding to each other and not to than human pack members. If they are the same sex, the issues become even greater, since there can be competition fighting when they reach adolescence. I may be a dweeb on a FF site, but I am also a professional dog trainer, and have had to help many dog owners with littermates issues. They don't even have to be littermates; raise any young puppies who are the same age, and the same potential problems can occur. It's worse with littermates because they have depended on each other and have bonded since birth.

Start now doing things with them seperately, and take them to training classes seperately, so they know how to be a part from each other, and bond and listen to you without the other.

Are you planning to keep them and raise them as siblings? If so, you need to do some research on bringing siblings up together. Do a Google on raising littermates puppies. It is easier to Google than me going through the issues on this post, and the info online is good, but the articles on line do paint a scarier picture than it usually is. With that said, there can be hugh issues with puppies overbonding to each other and not to than human pack members. If they are the same sex, the issues become even greater, since there can be competition fighting when they reach adolescence. I may be a dweeb on a FF site, but I am also a professional dog trainer, and have had to help many dog owners with littermates issues. They don't even have to be littermates; raise any young puppies who are the same age, and the same potential problems can occur. It's worse with littermates because they have depended on each other and have bonded since birth.

Start now doing things with them seperately, and take them to training classes seperately, so they know how to be a part from each other, and bond and listen to you without the other.

Thank you. Exactly the type of info I needed to know. I am planning to raise them together and will follow your advice on this. 1 male 1 female so that eases it a bit but I will research this further.

:wacko: Wonder if you could get em to sit still long enough for a decent pic of both faces?

I will try but that will have to be done when they are separated or else they are constantly on the move playing with each other.