[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Latest on Prince Fielder

Bearsfanspud

At least one MLB general manager believes Prince Fielder and agent Scott Boras are looking for a ten-year deal that approaches the value of Albert Pujols' $254MM contract, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. Heyman lists the Rangers as the favorite to sign Fielder, but suggests it's too early to rule out the Blue Jays, Mariners and Cubs, among others. Here are the latest rumors on Fielder:

The Marlins are denying interest in Prince Fielder, but some rival execs aren't convinced, tweets Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com.

The Cubs are not major players for Fielder, as they are "not ready to spend big," tweets Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe. 

There are indications that the Cubs are ramping up their pursuit of Fielder, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick. It's not clear where the Cubs stand with the first baseman now, but they're gathering information and may make a push for him soon.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/prin...s-thursday.html

Personally I don't think Prince Fielder is deserving of a 10 year $200 million deal. To me he is worth around 6 years at $26 million a year. If my beloved Cubs give him more than that I would be thoroughly disappointed, mainy because of our previous large contract deal. Was just wondering how you guys felt about this?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't give him more than 6 years and certainly not Pujols money

I read an article (forget where) where some GMs were concerned with his genetics. How he is built like his dad who ate his way out of the league by 34. Plus he's limited to AL teams unless Bud plans on adding a DH to the NL

I read an article (forget where) where some GMs were concerned with his genetics. How he is built like his dad who ate his way out of the league by 34. Plus he's limited to AL teams unless Bud plans on adding a DH to the NL

I defiantly see his career ending before age 36, unless he loses some mega weight. Only way he talks an 8-10 year deal with anybody is if they make an agreement to make him a DH the last 3-4 years of his contract.

I defiantly see his career ending before age 36, unless he loses some mega weight. Only way he talks an 8-10 year deal with anybody is if they make an agreement to make him a DH the last 3-4 years of his contract.

...contingent upon him never weighing above some reasonable weight, like 425lbs or so...

...contingent upon him never weighing above some reasonable weight, like 425lbs or so...

:wacko:

I don't think Fielder gets anywhere near Pujols money.

And let's face it, Texas may never do a large 10 year deal like they did back in the day with ARod. Lesson learned, hopefully.

He's not Cecil Fielder, so I'm not so sure that we can say that his career will follow his dad because of genetics. It's also a different time with medicine and suppliments, it's just a different time.

I also think he deserves every bit as much as Pujols, and if he does end up in Texas he can play first for a few seasons and then go to DH. Fielder at the Ballpark with that home run porch... Please.

He'll get near 200. I'm hoping it isn't from the Mariners. As legit as I think he is, I'm done buying players from the NL (Mitchell, Cirillo, Aurilia, Martin, Beltre, Sexson).

Edited by Seahawks21

He'll get near 200. I'm hoping it isn't from the Mariners. As legit as I think he is, I'm done buying players from the NL (Mitchell, Cirillo, Aurilia, Martin, Beltre, Sexson).

It's not just buying from the NL, it's that specifically, Fielder's not the missing link to competing against the Angels and the Rangers. The club has holes all over the place on offense, and one power hitter isn't going to transform them from a 65 win team to a 90 win team.

I'm very content with the club continuing to build from within and attacking the FA market when it's necessary to add the pieces. Unfortunately, the local media is bored with the slow process of rebuilding a farm system, so the constant drum beat of criticism is going to become deafening once Fielder signs somewhere else, or once spring training rolls around.

It's not just buying from the NL, it's that specifically, Fielder's not the missing link to competing against the Angels and the Rangers. The club has holes all over the place on offense, and one power hitter isn't going to transform them from a 65 win team to a 90 win team.

I'm very content with the club continuing to build from within and attacking the FA market when it's necessary to add the pieces. Unfortunately, the local media is bored with the slow process of rebuilding a farm system, so the constant drum beat of criticism is going to become deafening once Fielder signs somewhere else, or once spring training rolls around.

agreed on all counts, I think. I can't say I'd necessarily be all up in arms and against the deal if they ultimately sign Fielder, but if I was in charge, it just isn't the way I would build the team. I agree that I really like what they're doing with the franchise and the course that they're on. I don't think Jack Z will succumb to media/fan pressure, but Armstrong might go over his head on this one. It is such a tough call. That is most likely way too much to pay for Fielder. At the same time, I don't recall ever seeing a team so desperate for a big bat. If you sign him for 8-10 years, you don't necessarily to get good all at once. I'd just be afraid that you wouldn't be able to add any more pieces down the road if you pay him that kind of money. If you sign Prince and you're done, I'd pass. If you sign Prince and you still have a reasonable amount to add complimentary bats down the road, it might just be time to swallow the big pill.

agreed on all counts, I think. I can't say I'd necessarily be all up in arms and against the deal if they ultimately sign Fielder, but if I was in charge, it just isn't the way I would build the team. I agree that I really like what they're doing with the franchise and the course that they're on. I don't think Jack Z will succumb to media/fan pressure, but Armstrong might go over his head on this one. It is such a tough call. That is most likely way too much to pay for Fielder. At the same time, I don't recall ever seeing a team so desperate for a big bat. If you sign him for 8-10 years, you don't necessarily to get good all at once. I'd just be afraid that you wouldn't be able to add any more pieces down the road if you pay him that kind of money. If you sign Prince and you're done, I'd pass. If you sign Prince and you still have a reasonable amount to add complimentary bats down the road, it might just be time to swallow the big pill.

I agree with all this....jeez 21, don't tell me you hate the 49ers too....peace and harmony in the season of love! :wacko:

The whole Chris Larson divorce case where the value of the franchise was independently put at $641 mil doesn't help their case of not spending money either.....

I'm not against getting Fielder at all, I'd love it and be kind of pumped, and there's some merit to the notion that the system doesn't really have too many power bats on their way anytime soon. What I really don't want is signing Fielder at the expense of trading Pineda or Felix. That's all a lateral move unless there's a pooton of stuff coming back and I'm not sure many teams are willing to do that in this sabermetric age.

Edited by godtomsatan

I'm a Cubs can and feel pretty sure it's them or the Mariners as here really the only clubs that can drop 20 mil on a first baseman. Good article on SI.com he other day about only certain payrolls can handle that contract and it's the Cubs and Mariners. they're the only ones that fit after the Angele and Marlins made their moves. Hoping for it but not a ten year deal.

• 2 weeks later...

the thing with the Rangers is Hamilton will be in his last year on his contract. The Rangers are hesitant of giving him a long term deal, which is what he will demand. So, I think they go with Fielder and let Hamilton go after next year. Too many injuries for Hamilton makes the Rangers leary of giving him a 6 year deal. They will have to replace him somehow. So, by signing Fielder they can get that issue out of the way.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

A salary cap would only help if there was also a floor.

That sounds good on the surface, but so much of an organization is what's kicking around in the minor leagues. The NFL has no equivalent. Placing a cap throughout the minor leagues I am guessing would be impossible.

That sounds good on the surface, but so much of an organization is what's kicking around in the minor leagues. The NFL has no equivalent. Placing a cap throughout the minor leagues I am guessing would be impossible.

Given the astronomic numbers reached by the biggest payrolls, I doubt a salary cap would have much practical meaning as it would still be set where the vast majority of teams couldn't possibly reach it anyway.