[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Latest on Prince Fielder

Bearsfanspud

Given the astronomic numbers reached by the biggest payrolls, I doubt a salary cap would have much practical meaning as it would still be set where the vast majority of teams couldn't possibly reach it anyway.

That aside, which is debatable, how do you incorporate a cap into a structure where a AAA team starts the year off, then 'purchases' a contract from the A affiliate? It simply seems beyond complexly impossible, especially given that some organizations have fewer minor league teams, or even they change affiliation in the off season with the major league team.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup.....biggest problem with baseball is that there is no salary cap. Salary Cap makes the NFL the best game out there. Don't get me wrong. I love Baseball, but why would we spend our money to watch teams that we know will never win it? It's kind of stupid actually.

The lack of a cap has nothing to do with why the Royals, Pirates, or whomever will never win it. The lack of a salary floor has something to do with it, but the number of teams with pretty low payrolls that have made the WS recently is continually ignored by the "Salary Cap is a Magic Bullet" crowd.

So is the fact that the teams that have spent a crap load, you know the 2-3 that would likely be over the limit were there to be a cap? That's bought them a play-off spot, but not a ring lately. Nope, teams that spend a decent amount and spend it wisely are winning the Championship more often than not. Why would you want it any other way?

Prince Fielder Catching On To Fact That Teams Take Free Agents Out To Dinner A Lot

"In Chicago, they took me to a steakhouse, it was top-flight seafood in D.C., and in Dallas, we went out for barbecue and they even comped my breakfast buffet at the hotel the next morning," said Fielder, adding that he has been craving Mexican lately and might entertain an offer from the Dodgers if it means scoring free tacos. "At this rate, I'm almost positive I'm going to sign a one-year deal so I can do this again next winter." Upon hearing the news, pitcher CC Sabathia reportedly put in a call to his agent to inquire about getting out of his current contract with the Yankees

:wacko:

Two premier first basemen. Wonder which one goes to DH?

Also wonder where they hit in the lineup. I assume Cabrera moves to the third spot with Fielder at clean-up.

Now if we could only find some offense at 3b and 2b.

What happens when VMart comes back in 2013? He can't catch anymore and they have their 1B/DH already.

What happens when VMart comes back in 2013? He can't catch anymore and they have their 1B/DH already.

I just had a discussion about this with a friend of mine who's a bandwagon die hard Tigers fan

Edited by Shorttynaz

I frickin' love Victor Martinez. Had a great year last year. However, he will be 34 when he returns and Fielder is only 27. I'm guessing he won't return but who knows.

My guess is DH by committee (if Martinez returns in 2013), with Martinez getting the majority of the starts at DH, but Cabrera (and possibly even Fielder) getting some as well. I would think they would want all three in the lineup as much as possible, but any time they can get Cabrera away from 3rd, they would do that as well... When Martinez has a day off, or even when Fielder has a day off (and Martinez plays 1st).

Realistically, Martinez will likely play in (at most) 100-125 games... He's played in 150+ only twice in his career, and just once since 2006. So, when you add together his days off (or time spent on the DL), and a few more days off for Fielder and/or Cabrera, there's a chance Cabrera might not have to play 3B more than about 50% of the time. Meanwhile, you might see Martinez take on a role similar to that of Jorge Posada last season for NY (90 games at DH and another 10-15 at 1B)... Basically, playing about 2/3 of the time.

Of course, if playing Cabrera at 3B turns into a complete defensive disaster, Martinez may sit even more (since they're obviously going to keep Cabrera and Fielder in the lineup). That may not be a bad thing, though, if keeping Martinez healthy (potentially for the post-season) is a priority.

My guess is DH by committee (if Martinez returns in 2013), with Martinez getting the majority of the starts at DH, but Cabrera (and possibly even Fielder) getting some as well. I would think they would want all three in the lineup as much as possible, but any time they can get Cabrera away from 3rd, they would do that as well... When Martinez has a day off, or even when Fielder has a day off (and Martinez plays 1st).

Realistically, Martinez will likely play in (at most) 100-125 games... He's played in 150+ only twice in his career, and just once since 2006. So, when you add together his days off (or time spent on the DL), and a few more days off for Fielder and/or Cabrera, there's a chance Cabrera might not have to play 3B more than about 50% of the time. Meanwhile, you might see Martinez take on a role similar to that of Jorge Posada last season for NY (90 games at DH and another 10-15 at 1B)... Basically, playing about 2/3 of the time.

Of course, if playing Cabrera at 3B turns into a complete defensive disaster, Martinez may sit even more (since they're obviously going to keep Cabrera and Fielder in the lineup). That may not be a bad thing, though, if keeping Martinez healthy (potentially for the post-season) is a priority.

Didn't the Tigers just sign Martinez to a $50M contract?

Didn't the Tigers just sign Martinez to a $50M contract?

My point is simply that it is potentially unlikely that Cabrera has to play 150+ games at 3B in 2013. There are a lot of potential reasons why that is unlikely to happen, not the least of which is that Martinez has averaged less than 120 games played, per season, throughout his career. Of course, if he is their every-day DH, it's certainly possible/likely that he would play more than that, since he's obviously more likely to stay healthy (as a DH) than if he were catching. Still, I'd be surprised if we see Cabrera at 3B more than 50-70% of the time, UNLESS he plays so well there (defensively) that he isn't really considered a major liability.

My point is simply that it is potentially unlikely that Cabrera has to play 150+ games at 3B in 2013. There are a lot of potential reasons why that is unlikely to happen, not the least of which is that Martinez has averaged less than 120 games played, per season, throughout his career. Of course, if he is their every-day DH, it's certainly possible/likely that he would play more than that, since he's obviously more likely to stay healthy (as a DH) than if he were catching. Still, I'd be surprised if we see Cabrera at 3B more than 50-70% of the time, UNLESS he plays so well there (defensively) that he isn't really considered a major liability.

Saw a stat on TV last night - Cabrera played 14 games at 3B in 2011, committing 5 errors. Obviously the Tigers will limit his appearances there as much as they possibly can.

Saw a stat on TV last night - Cabrera played 14 games at 3B in 2011, committing 5 errors. Obviously the Tigers will limit his appearances there as much as they possibly can.

It ain't happenning this year. Miggy will be at 3rd or 1st. Plain simple fact he hits better playing the field than DH. I'm thinking Feilde sees more time at DH than what most are predicting, but Miggy will be at 3rd the majority of the time.

This is very bad news for Fister and Porcello, not so much so for Verlander and Max.

Fielder pitches too? I guess you're saying Detroit will cut payroll somewhere and they're the most likely to go?

Fister and Porcello are ground ball pitchers so they will suffer more than Verlander and Scherzer who allow more fly balls (some way to far) with Cabrera at third.