[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My life is sad - Socks

Chief Dick

You know it's bad when the highlight of your week is finally being able to buy new socks. And I'm actually looking forward to it since my kids will be at home with Mrs CD. So I get about an hour of peace and quiet. :wacko:

So I'm thinking of going with white crew. Something all purpose. Already have plenty of black work socks.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know it's bad when the highlight of your week is finally being able to buy new socks. And I'm actually looking forward to it since my kids will be at home with Mrs CD. So I get about an hour of peace and quiet. :wacko:

So I'm thinking of going with white crew. Something all purpose. Already have plenty of black work socks.

Have you tried Thorlos? Very comfy, quite durable.

Socks are such a personal item. Always best to purchase them while alone and in a "me" mode.

The problem though..... there are so many choices. And you should only purchase white crew if you have trousers that are too short. That way everyone can see them. And remember.... white crew go so well with loafers with tassels. I am sure Hankk would agree. :wacko:

I think the real debate here is the length of the crew sock chosen.

You have crew socks that are slightly longer than ankle socks, and then you have crew socks that almost reach the knee. There are also crew socks that fall somewhere in that spectrum.

What size are you looking for?

Also, they should have reinforced toes (colored gray)

Sometimes I'll get a pair of socks that looks totally fine, but when I pull them up, the very top ring of elastic (or whatever it is) actually cuts into my calf. I have to pull them down slightly so they don't cut into me, but by doing that they just instantly fall down to my ankles. Maybe garters need to make a comeback. :wacko:

I think the real debate here is the length of the crew sock chosen.

You have crew socks that are slightly longer than ankle socks, and then you have crew socks that almost reach the knee. There are also crew socks that fall somewhere in that spectrum.

What size are you looking for?

Also, they should have reinforced toes (colored gray)

I usually get the kind that end up between the calf and ankle. Never got the reinforced toes kind. I'm worried they would be too thick and then all of a sudden I'm buying new shoes.

It took me 3 years to convince my wife I need socks. What do you think will happen when I tell her I need new shoes too? :wacko:

Bought a pack of six pairs of white Hanes while in TX a little while back, then went to San Francisco for a weekend. Ran out of socks and had to buy the EXACT SAME 6 PACK!!

Wow! I have loads of white socks now.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

This might be going off on a bit of a tangent, but I received (for the holidays) 3 yrs ago a pair of green and white scooby doo socks that are a cross between slippers and socks. I guess the patterned rubber squiggly pieces on the sole are there for non-slippage on a slippery floor. Pretty awesome (although a bit gaye if you ask me). But I like 'em.

I guess they're something like THIS, but not exactly.

This might be going off on a bit of a tangent, but I received (for the holidays) 3 yrs ago a pair of green and white scooby doo socks that are a cross between slippers and socks. I guess the patterned rubber squiggly pieces on the sole are there for non-slippage on a slippery floor. Pretty awesome (although a bit gaye if you ask me). But I like 'em.

I guess they're something like THIS, but not exactly.

That bottom one looks like a TV remote control sock.

I love grey casual socks. I wear them all the time, in fact I'm wearing a pair right now. They look great with jeans, whether you're wearing sneakers or really any casual walking shoe. Right now I've got about 14 pairs in rotation, which is just about right laundry-wise. Any fewer and I'd have to wash clothes just to get clean socks. Any more and I'd be cramming them into the drawer like a defensive coordinator at a boy scout campfire.

Now in my current batch I've got Hanes and Gold Toe. You'd think Gold Toe would be better but you'd be wrong! The Hanes are reinforced at the heel and toe and have held up much better. Go figure! Gold Toe makes an excellent formal sock for the office though.

For working out, for me it begins and ends with Nike. I've got a ton in both black and white, all of them ankle cut. I must admit I think the lower cut socks that everyone wears nowadays look incredibly ghey, but try wearing the old-school socks up around your calves to the gym, you'll get laughed out of the place. Remember those high socks that everyone used to wear with the stripes? Funny how when you see pictures from the 70's, they look so ridiculous now. I'd love to get my hands on a pair of them, just wear them as a gag for my wife. She's always giving me a hard time about what I wear.

True story, I used to work at a place called Ames in the Home Entertainment department and in walks Joe Namath on a busy Saturday morning. He walked right by me on his way to Hardware. He was buying wood screws if I remember correctly. I'll never forget what he was wearing -- a white Jets cap, white polo shirt, green shorts, and white tube socks with green stripes. Think he was trying to be recognized?? I got his autograph too. But, I'll always kick myself for not running back to Sporting Goods for a football for him to sign...instead I grabbed the first thing I could find, a layaway tag. :tup:

Hey man, good luck with the sock purchase. I hope you'll consider the grey socks. I found some links:

http://www.amazon.com/Hanes-Classic-6-pack...6559&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-Mens-Pair...6904&sr=8-3

Here's one of me at home, kickin' back in one of my favorite worn-in pairs (NSFW):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24622694@N05/...19542/lightbox/

PM me, I've got a bunch more explicit ones. :wacko: