[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

OFFICIAL American Idol thread

jetsfan

What is it that you guys did not like? The only element missing seems to me is being mean to the bad singers not being shown nearly as much. The meanness of the Simon years has softened to show more of the backstories where the singers are coming from. I don't miss the meanness myself but that is the only thing I can see that has maybe changed.

So, you agree that last night's episode was the best one EVAH !!!! :wacko:

It's not the meanness, it's the total lack of criticism (constructive or destructive). Every marginal singer or better is "amazing" and "beautiful". I don't miss Simon being an A-hole, but these judges are so milquetoast, I can't stand it. There isn't any judging coming from the judges. They are simply season-long celebrity guests.

+1

To anyone who's played/sung music enough to critique it, it was great that Simon would say the things that we wish we could say, while the rest of the judges just blow smoke... Especially now that they have a new demographic they want to push every year (country, acoustic, latin), the token ones who fit into their agenda get a total free pass... That was rarely ever the case with Simon, who would still be brutally honest even with their favorites....

The a-hole schtick did get a bit old, but I liked it much better than these "everyone's a winner!" critiques...

+1

To anyone who's played/sung music enough to critique it, it was great that Simon would say the things that we wish we could say, while the rest of the judges just blow smoke... Especially now that they have a new demographic they want to push every year (country, acoustic, latin), the token ones who fit into their agenda get a total free pass... That was rarely ever the case with Simon, who would still be brutally honest even with their favorites....

The a-hole schtick did get a bit old, but I liked it much better than these "everyone's a winner!" critiques...

thanks for posting this. just beautiful ... beautiful man.

the judging doesn't really happen until Hollywood and beyond. Right now it is just a simple "go to Hollywood" or "no thanks" to process the thousands of people.

I agree, I think the 3 judges have good chemistry and I don't miss Simon one bit. Randy's facial expressions when someone is really bad are priceless.

It was obvious last year that they were pushing the country singer. Hopefully they go in another direction this season.

+1 on all aspects and they really don't start breaking hearts to people with less talent than others until Hollywood. They are giving some they see potential in (even with maybe a not so perfect audition with nerves or a bad day) the chance to prove themselves some more. And if they can't there gone in hollywood. I personally like the chemistry these 3 have and JLo is way ahead of Paula in my book :tup: Maybe Tyler could tone down the creep mode a little especially with the under age ones but hey chicks dig him still :wacko:

still love the show ,,,been watching it from day one and watching it now

its not the same show without simon but its still American Idol

Think alot of talent so far just after 2 episodes and expect a great season

and no I am not a girly man ...at least my wife says i am not

What is it that you guys did not like? The only element missing seems to me is being mean to the bad singers not being shown nearly as much. The meanness of the Simon years has softened to show more of the backstories where the singers are coming from. I don't miss the meanness myself but that is the only thing I can see that has maybe changed.

I just cannot handle Steven Tyler and the creepy vibe he is putting out. And he and JLo just seem to be lacking as judges. But, as stated, it should get better once they go to Hollywood. My favorite part is when they all have to team up, then the egos start flying.

• 3 weeks later...
the judging doesn't really happen until Hollywood and beyond. Right now it is just a simple "go to Hollywood" or "no thanks" to process the thousands of people.

Before they get a chance to audition before the big 3, there are 2 additional judging phases they have to get through.

• 3 months later...